Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVDA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

First off, can I just confirm what I've said to some of you in emails - we have passed on all the comments we have had about Weather Systems to KScope as we run their official webstore.

Ok - moving on (to what we hope is a good solution)...

In response to demand for a higher quality format Burning Shed has created an uncompressed 24bit/48khz FLAC file which is available for download. Those of you who have bought the digibook through us can download it for free. This is the highest quality download we can offer based on the master disc we were sent by KScope.

If you don't already have a download account with us you can set one up in about 3 minutes on the site.

Please just email me with (preferably) your transaction id or the email address you used to order the digibook and the email address you have used for your download account if different and we will arrange to credit you with this file. My email address is [email protected]

We're sorry for the confusion on this but, as we don't have any input into the titles KScope produce, we can only rely on information we're supplied with and try to keep that updated at all times.

If you've still got any concerns please email me and I'll either try to answer or pass it on to KScope if that's more appropriate.

Many thanks,

Lisa (Burning Shed customer support)

didn't purchased this release due to absence of HiRes surround and stereo streams.
but i do very much appreciated reaction of Burning Shed and particularly Lisa Burning Shed for being
so customer friendly and showing to us that you care about own reputation and customer satisfaction.
that's very rare quality at present retailer world. thank you very much and looking forward to see you
and your collegues here as permanent members. this forum perhaps would be great place for your news
and anoncement of upcoming releases.

From the flac files I will author a Blu-ray disc using Audiomuxer https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...7-Audiomuxer-new-software-on-surroundbyus-com to play on my blu-ray player. I'll convert the flac to WAV and then use the WAV files to author a blu-ray disc.

I'm not in the states and my player (Oppo) & TV support PAL & NTSC, so no issues. Your player may be able to convert to NTSC from PAL????

Ah, that looks handy. I don't have a BD burner...any idea if there's a way to author an MLP file, so that I can make a DVDA? I didn't see this as an option. Might be cool if KScope did something like that and offered an ISO image for download to those who purchased the DVD version.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm curious...how are you going to listen to this, on a 5.1 system, from a FLAC file? For someone with an HTPC setup or something, some way to decode a FLAC file and play it back through your AVR, that's fine. Or to someone with a 5.1 setup at their PC, same deal. But to those of us who just have a BD or DVD Player hooked up to their AVR...it doesn't really help. Am I missing something?

Additionally...I live in the USA and as far as I can tell there's only a PAL DVD released (which is weird, because my DVD of We're Here... is NTSC). So I can't even listen to the thing in Dolby Digital at this point...anyone have any ideas? I keep feeling like I'm missing something obvious.
cirlinca has good software to burn a dvd-audio, directly from the flac files, see here for more details, http://www.cirlinca.com/products.htm.

Also .....Just thought of this one - I know it's not KScope but a FLAC 5.1 download of Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink...that would get the people here interested!

and the latest Gavin Harrison & 05RIC - that wasn't released as a DVD-A would be great too!!

Lisa - Also people who don't have a blu-ray player would like to get the Storm Corrosion in 5.1 also.... let us know what you think....

Buon giorno tutti quandi,

Just to keep you all updated - the 5.1 FLAC is up on the site and we'll be going through today allocating the download to everyone who has contacted us about it (nb. we can only offer it for free to those who bought the CD/DVD from us at Burning Shed).

It's a pretty painstaking task. We have to effectively work on each account to say the download should be attributed and then, attribute it. Don't you just love IT?!?!

We're working on getting more artists to contribute to our 24bit FLAC store but what with one thing and another this has had to take a back seat recently. We moved both our internet presence (better, more secure server) and our physical presence (new building over 4 times the size of the old place) at the end of March/beginning of April and what with 7 or 8 large pre-orders we're just catching up!

So, in short, the download should (fingers crossed) be available for you later today or by the latest tomorrow.

Many thanks - I'm very much enjoying reading your forum!

Lisa

Lisa, this is plain amazing, and some of the best, personal customer service I've seen. Once I figure out how to make any use of it under Linux, I will buy the 5.1 FLAC file (I understand it's also available for sale for those who didn't buy it before?).

Anybody have any idea how to burn FLAC 5.1 files to DVD under Linux (Ubuntu)? I will do some research of my own now.

Hello. I second the great efforts by Lisa and the Burning Shed team. However, it looks like I'm out, since I don't have a 5.1 FLAC burner. ????? Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Bright Side & Patrick,

There are lots of far more knowledgeable people than me on here who will guide you with FLAC, I'm sure ;~)

Apparently it's like prog - once you've heard it you never go back...

Working on getting those downloads credited to those of you who have contacted us right now!

Thanks,

Lisa

Kudos to you, Lisa!

Can't wait to finally open my Anathema CD/DVD combo after I download my 5.1 FLAC file:)

Hello all,

Sorry - can I just clarify that this FREE FLAC file is only for our customers who ordered before we realised KScope had given us the wrong information about what was included on the DVD.

It's been a busy few weeks (see above post!) but the closest I can definitely recall us changing the site is before 1st May 2012 so we'll be using that as the cut-off date.

It takes a while for us to go through everything and it's nearly 7pm here (and I'm tired!) so it looks as if you will all have credits for the download by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks to everyone who's been in touch.

We only exist to make people musically happy ;~)

Lisa

Thanks Lisa

I can't wait to hear this finally in glorious Hi-Rez...:banana:

Once the dust settles it would be awesome to get some other surround downloads on the site.... especially Caravan - please

I placed my order as well once I got home, looking forward to the 5.1 FLAC! As a QQ forum member I fully appreciate this effort to address our concerns.

Seems to me that Steve Wilson was soliciting interest level in providing a Caravan 5.1 FLAC right after that special edition (with DD 5.1) was issued. Not sure of that could be handled through Burning Shed or not but it is worth pursuing as I would surely like to have it!

Hello again,

OK - everyone who has contacted us about this should now have the download in their account.

BEWARE!!!

It's a 1.85Gb file and you'll need a nice stable connection/lots of time on your hands ;~)

Have fun with it,

Lisa

p.s. Please don't ask me for help with playing or converting. There are loads of folks on here who know far more than me!

I have downloaded the file and burned it to a DVD in AVCHD format using AudioMuxer. No issues.

However, one suggestion I have, Lisa, is to put a .cue file into the zip file. This file effectively contains the song titles, and start/end time of each track. This allows the user to insert chapter breaks, so they can skip to the next track, or even break the 1 long flac file into multiple tracks. Right now, all I can do is listen to the entire album from start to finish. I will send you this suggestion via email.

The sound is sooooo much better than the DD DVD. You can hear the difference within seconds. The DD encoded disk is simply a waste of plastic. I never did listen to more than 10 minutes of it because it sounded so bad. The flac sounds great!

I've listened through the album once. It sounds crisp and clear now. But, the mix is not perfect. The surrounds for the most part aren't very discrete, although they are certainly active. They are mostly used to widen the soundstage, with discrete elements on occasion. But, what was the most odd is that the 5.1 mix is not very true to the stereo mix. Some songs sound quite different. Some vocal layers are totally missing from the 5.1 mix, or at least very quiet. At other times i found the opposite, I hear sounds in the 5.1 mix that don't appear in the stereo mix.

Here is the most obvious example: Listen to the first 2.5 minutes of "The Storm Before the Calm". At about 1:10 you hear the chorus "It's getting colder...". In the stereo mix, this is dominated by Lee Douglas' female vocals, with some processed vocals (likely Vincent) layered underneath. While, on the 5.1 flac, there is a rather unprocessed male vocal singing the chorus. I can't hear Lee's female vocals being used at all. It sounds totally different, like a totally different vocal track. Very odd. I don't remember any 5.1 mix being so different from the stereo mix. It is not bad... just VERY different.

I just checked the DVD, and it is indeed the same mix as the flac.

As others have noted, the LFE track is a bit too strong, which is a little distracting. Not a big deal. I am used to adjusting the subwoofer.

Despite the above "complaints" I think it sounds quite good. I really love the music, and the 5.1 mix is decent, despite being unfaithful to the stereo mix. If you have been delaying buying the Special Edition because of the DD format, go to Burning Shed and buy the flac download. I think it is important that we encourage the release of 5.1 music in any way we can.

Brad

Hello. I can't thank enough a certain QQ Top-Shelfer who has graciouly offered me the utmost of assistance with this download. You know who you are. I will look for any opportunity I can to "Pay It Forward." Legend! Thanks.

I have downloaded the file and burned it to a DVD in AVCHD format using AudioMuxer. No issues.

However, one suggestion I have, Lisa, is to put a .cue file into the zip file. This file effectively contains the song titles, and start/end time of each track. This allows the user to insert chapter breaks, so they can skip to the next track, or even break the 1 long flac file into multiple tracks. Right now, all I can do is listen to the entire album from start to finish. I will send you this suggestion via email.

As an interim, you can create a cue file from the DD stream from the DVD or even the stereo files using Audiomuxer (assuming timings are the same) , or via a rip of the CD via Imgburn. I assume you used Audiomuxer to create the AVCHD?

Back