Next Steven Wilson 70s Mix - Let The Speculation Begin....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Steven Wilson said:
Plus there are a number of other seventies albums that are in the pipeline, but can't say too much about that at the moment

So....

What do people think will be the next Steven Wilson seventies mix?

We know about the ELP releases & Thick as a Brick, but what else do people think (or want) it will be??

My hopes:
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Supertramp - Crime of The Century
ELO - Out of the Blue

What do you think?

I'd like him to do

Music Inspired by The Snow Goose by Camel.
Ricochet by Tangerine Dream
Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett
Smallcreep's Day by Mike Rutherford

Just a reminder of SW's "20 Albums That Deserve To Be In Surround Sound" list - the following are the titles from the 70's:

ABBA - Arrival (1977)
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (1977)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (1972)
Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)
Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)
The Who - Quadrophenia (1973)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Acts I, II & III (1979)

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Acts I, II & III (1979)

This will only come out in surround if there's a mix done by Frank Zappa himself. Everything else will never ever be approved for release by his wife Gail.

-Kristian

This will only come out in surround if there's a mix done by Frank Zappa himself. Everything else will never ever be approved for release by his wife Gail.

-Kristian
ah yes, Gail. But I see Dweezil in the studio so she allows him to "mess" with his dad's masters, but I feel they will never allow anyone to modify FZ's work

I know it would never happen, but my fantasy is that Richard Chycki decides that he's not up to the task of mixing 2112 and/or Hemispheres and asks the band if they know anyone else who might be willing to take it on.

I know it would never happen, but my fantasy is that Richard Chycki decides that he's not up to the task of mixing 2112 and/or Hemispheres and asks the band if they know anyone else who might be willing to take it on.

Would love to see 2112 done. I've tried to do it myself several times, but the stereo mix is too quirky for me to turn it into good surround. In the hands of Steve Wilson, that would just be amazing. Imagine the first five minutes of that album in his hands....

-Kristian

I seem to recall a conversation with someone on the internet that claimed to be involved with Zappa in the studio, that Zappa had a quad setup up to Joe's Garage. There have also been rumors that many other Zappa albums did get quad mixes that never got released. How much of this stuff is true, and how much of this still exists in the vaults, and how good these quad mixes would be are all mysteries, though. But, there certainly is a possibility some sort of quad mix of Joe's Garage was done, and is sitting in the vaults, rotting away, where it will sit for all eternity, as the used prices skyrocket for the now out of print Zappa catalog, since it seems no one is capable of at least keeping the damn catalog in print, let alone release unissued stuff.

I'd like him to do

Music Inspired by The Snow Goose by Camel.
Ricochet by Tangerine Dream
Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett
Smallcreep's Day by Mike Rutherford

Was listening to "The Snow Goose" yesterday!!!!! I'd second that...

plus Tangerine Dream... I'd prefer Rubycon but I'll take anything....

I seem to recall a conversation with someone on the internet that claimed to be involved with Zappa in the studio, that Zappa had a quad setup up to Joe's Garage. There have also been rumors that many other Zappa albums did get quad mixes that never got released. How much of this stuff is true, and how much of this still exists in the vaults, and how good these quad mixes would be are all mysteries, though. But, there certainly is a possibility some sort of quad mix of Joe's Garage was done, and is sitting in the vaults, rotting away, where it will sit for all eternity, as the used prices skyrocket for the now out of print Zappa catalog, since it seems no one is capable of at least keeping the damn catalog in print, let alone release unissued stuff.
Barry Hansen, AKA Doctor Demento, told me of spending hours at Zappa's place one night listening to all the quad mixes FZ made. He said at that time in the 1970s FZ was making quad mixes of everything he did, so there should be quite a catalog of quad mixes. However, going by the mixes already available, there isn't much difference between the front and rear channels.

I'd love a 5.1 edition of Van der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts album. Another Caravan album would be fine too.

"but what else do people think (or want) it will be??

Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior "

Steve Reich
Music for 18 Musicians
[ECM; 1978]

Pawn Hearts would be awesome! The only VGG album I own. And there is a Fripp connection too....

Wasn't there some suggestion that the band had a fairly heavy hand in the Moving Pictures mix? I think Richard's mix of Trapeze: The Collection shows his ability in a much more favourable light. I don't think it's a given that he is not capable of delivering a top-notch 5.1 Rush album.

Last spring/summer Rick Wakeman mentioned on his website that his early A&M stuff was to be remastered and reissued, but nothing has been said since. I wouldn't mind deluxe editions with 5.1 mixes of the Six Wives and Arthur albums.

I'd love to see a 5.1 of Ambrosia's "Somewhere I've Never Traveled".
Hell, I wouldn't mind an SHM-SACD stereo of it but 5.1 would be awesome.

ELP's Welcome Back My Friends
Led Zep II, IV
Gabriel 2 & 3
Yes - Tales, Yes Album, Close To The Edge...

It goes on and on...

I'd buy Abba's "Arrival" in no time (yes, you guys know that beneath this Leonine appearance is a syrup loving kitty)..
And ELO...besides OOOTB, my favorite along with "Time"...I have now beginning to really love ANWRecord!!!:smokin

New World Record would be the best of ELO, IMHO.
Caravan's "For Girls Who Grow Plump In the Night" would be great also, an unrealized dream so far.
One I'd personally like to see/hear, though Mr. Wilson is probably not familiar with it at all..... "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus"......

Back