Which scripts to use?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin Dunn

I see three "sticky" threads with different Adobe Audition 3.0 scripts. There has been some discussion of the pros/cons of each set of scripts.

Has anyone tried all of them and determined which ones yield the best / most accurate results for QS and SQ? Or should I get them all and use different ones for different types of recordings?

The old scripts that are available, while good, are not the "final" scripts - which are awesome.

It's my understanding from reading other forum posts that the SQ*Final / QS*Final scripts have not been published openly.

Of the scripts that are freely available, which ones should I use?

Yeah seems like the "Final" versions have been out there a while. I know that to document the process takes time and effort. I can wait.

BUMP!
OK, I'm back with a vengeance!!!
What is the BEST script available for SQ???
I have OD's one that has TWO different procedures , L+R Front and then L R+F and R R+F

And Why does declicking BEFORE processing affect the decoding?, I'd think it's be the OTHER way around..extra artifacts would screw up the end result...

I've been cleaning the file before decoding. I can't detect a difference. I figured the click, hiss, et.al. already affect the original signal, so I can't hurt it. I also am left with a clean file which can be put through the manual decoders and it sounds great. Another advantage is cleaning only a L & R track instead of having 4 tracks to clean.

And Why does declicking BEFORE processing affect the decoding?, I'd think it's be the OTHER way around..extra artifacts would screw up the end result...

The theory (which I haven't tested, only read about here I think) it that click processing can affect phase, which would in turn affect decoding as that is phase based. If you guys aren't having a problem then that's great news as declicking afterwards can be problematic for big clicks.

I see three "sticky" threads with different Adobe Audition 3.0 scripts. There has been some discussion of the pros/cons of each set of scripts.

Has anyone tried all of them and determined which ones yield the best / most accurate results for QS and SQ? Or should I get them all and use different ones for different types of recordings?

I've had the same problem trying to find the latest post, there are a lot different threads. The latest that I found was (thread) SQ*Final Script for Adobe Audition v3. OD first posted the SQ*final script, then later withdrew it,
read farther down the post and someone else has another link to it.

Lucanu's script works well, I love the session file method, much easier than the scripts. I haven't had time to do a lot of conversions yet, or to do a lot of comparisons. It seemed to me that with the conversions I did with Lucanu's script
the centre front vocals were not well defined (phase issue?). Separation was excellent with all scripts.

I haven't found a link to QS*final, I don't think it was ever posted.

Yeah, Oxford Dickie left without posting QS*Final. Using a script can be really easy, but it may involve a small amount of alteration in terms of changing the address for the temp folder before you start.

A question. If there are four different instruments, each on a different speaker, does phase matter on playback?

Phase on the encoded two channel: yes as phase adjustments are part of the decoding process. Phase of the four channels entirely independent channels in your case on playback (post decoding): not so much if they somehow managed to decode with 100% seperation from every other channel, which they most likely won't (some impressive rear to front seperation using the SQ*Final script) and most likely wouldn't be mixed that way anyway. IMHO.

The theory (which I haven't tested, only read about here I think) it that click processing can affect phase, which would in turn affect decoding as that is phase based. If you guys aren't having a problem then that's great news as declicking afterwards can be problematic for big clicks.

One thing I've really noticed is that the source material seems to matter more than the damage when you're using an automated de-clicker such as ClickRepair. Some stuff will clean up amazingly well with no obvious artifacts where other material with equal or less damage can't really be processed without screwing up the music.

I've also learned that ClickRepair works better on really quiet passages...when digitizing vinyl I've taken to isolating final fade-outs and the dead space between tracks and applying super-ultra-maximum DeClick and DeCrackle. For some reason, it almost always works great. Maybe it's because quiet music can be more easily separated from the record noise.

One thing I've really noticed is that the source material seems to matter more than the damage when you're using an automated de-clicker such as ClickRepair.
The phase issue is related to hardware click-removers such as the SAE unit.

So this is refering real time declicking, rather than processing a file?

when digitizing vinyl I've taken to isolating final fade-outs and the dead space between tracks and applying super-ultra-maximum DeClick and DeCrackle.

I gave ClickRepair a trial some years back. I think that max declick introduced some significant extra noise which decrackle smoothed out??

I've found that overdoing the declick process using the onboard declicker for Adobe Audition 3.01 can change the sound of some synth sounds (presumable square/triangular waves, etc?) - A passage on The Beach by New Order being an example.

I would select clean LP's for conversion if possible. Manually declick as required. Manually declicking the odd click or pop should make little difference to the decoded result. I do use automatic decliking in Audition 3.0 for many/most stereo LP's with decent results. I don't think phase matters much if four different instruments (from separate multi-track masters) are encoded. The problem is with phantom channels. Panned signals are a nightmare for SQ.

Back