Largest Collection - Which Artist is Yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
We ALL love to listen to and discuss our favorite artists. Who do you have the most albums by? Describing any rarities would be great, photos would be even better.

Although my collections of Dylan, Beatles, & Beatles solo number into the hundreds, Miles Davis would be my most extensive. In the neighborhood of 500 discs. 43 of these are hi-res.

38 2ch SACD 2 pages on: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7517/12
2 5.1 SACD
2 3ch SACD
1 DVD-A
1 Dual Disc
4 Quad LP (2 albums)
18 DVD-V
23 Box sets

Eagerly awaiting my 5.1 mix of Sketches of Spain!!

I saw Miles live 4 times before his death in '91, and had tickets for a gig he cancelled for health reasons.

Four of my many rarities:
1- Radio broadcast from Jazz Fest in Chicago. I also attended the concert.

2- Live 1970-1973 box 4 CD's & booklet:
314944.jpg:

3-Japan Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 Box actually incomplete because of edits for tape changes. Later boxes are complete, since second set of tapes was located.
Miles-Davis-The-Complete-Live-552876.jpg

4- Just Squeeze Me 10 CD box:
Miles%u00252BDavis%2BJust%2BSqueeze%2BMe.jpg

Fave 5.1 or Quad album: Tutu DVD-A (Japan SACD is 2ch)
miles%u00252Bdavis%2B-%2Btutu.jpg

Fave album: Jack Johnson Japan SACD 2ch
jack_johnson_srgs4504_front.jpg

Fave compilation: The Complete Columbia Album Collection
col-davis.jpg

Fave DVD-V: Miles in Munich Marilyn Mazur was in his band a short time. She performs on this DVD from '88. I caught her with Miles at the Chicago Theater. She never appeared on any of his albums. Superb! Bonus features: an interview with Miles and his artwork.
51B8F635T9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fave song: Seven Steps to Heaven Album on Japan 2 ch SACD or 3 ch AP SACD Unreleased rehearsal take; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsETyDeXLOA1
001ab155_medium.jpeg

Most copies of an album: 10 of Kind of Blue (15 versions counting multiple mixes on one disc)
2988511.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't discover Miles under after he did and I took an "Evolution of Jazz" class as an elective in college. First piece of music of his played for me was "Concerto de Aranjuez" and I slowly started discovering the eras. It was the 70's, starting with the opening of "Live-Evil," which hooked me the quickest. Some of the most challenging music I've ever heard came from Miles Davis in the 1970's. The classic quintet of the 60's was one of the best collections of five musicians in history.

Biggest collection for me? Without counting, I'd say Tori Amos. We're talking a lot of CD5s, bootlegs, concert discs, etc.

For me it's Neil Young. Everything he released, I have. Even the stuff I rarely play, although I have yet to spring for "Americana"

I love Tori, have seen her live in Chicago & Milwaukee. Have all her EP's, CD's & box sets.

Y Kant Tori Rede?

Seen her.......15 times, maybe? Met her twice, including four days after 9/11, when she had the guts to NOT cancel an in-store appearance in NYC. She even RSVPed (no) to our wedding.

Y Kant Tori Read isn't a bad album. The only version I own is the bootleg. No collector's items here, although some of those CD singles are awfully rare.

Speaking of Miles, and your favorite Miles albums, I can always almost picture a boxing match when listening to "Jack Johnson." Something about the rhythm just makes it feel like the rhythm of ducking and punching.

Elton.

I've got at least 300 cd's of his music, including demo's, live bootlegs, rarities, fan club items, etc.

and thats before you count all the LPs (several pressings of each album, I must have over 50 EJ LPs, i've never counted), singles (45s), picture discs, tapes, 8 tracks, VHS, DVD, Laserdiscs, video cd's, blu-rays, clothes (his own & merchandise), other tour items (programmes etc/memorabilia), backstage passes, books, key rings, hats, fridge magnets, pens, glasses, jewellery, you name it. its insane really.

Neil Young or the Allman brothers or Pink Floyd or Richard Thompson
Pink Floyd i have CD DVD and Vinyl (7 and 12") plus plenty of Solo related stuff so that may edge those that i discovered in recent years Richard Thompson or only digital the Allman brothers and Neil Young

Ill have to check when i get home

Okay, this will throw you guys off. Huey Lewis and the News.

All albums on CD and all albums from 1980-1991 on vinyl. All 12" releases that contain stuff unavailable on CD, including some rare promos (e.g. Power of Love with an instrumental B Side). Digitized and carefully declicked all the vinyl stuff. The star-shaped "Heart of Rock & Roll" 7". The Japanese Super Selections CD. Live bootlegs, on vinyl and CD. Maxi CDs, most rare would be the US 3" CD of "Small World". All the remixes, extended versions and B-Sides ever released. The 2-track "Exodisco" promo 12" from 1979, when they still called themselves "American Express". The Japanese Mini-LP remasters from a couple years ago. "Fore! & More" video collection on Laserdisc. The Japanese "Best Clips" DVD, long out of print. The rare Canadian edition of their first Best Of album, "The Heart of Rock & Roll" from 1992, which features a special "Toronto/Montreal" version of the song "The Heart of Rock & Roll".

Craploads of TV appearances collected over the years by fans (got them by trading with forum members). Huey's solo stuff and guest appearances (e.g. the version of "Power of Love" from Mike Batt's Philharmania, or "Once upon a time in New York City" from the Oliver & Company soundtrack). The song "Pineapple Express" from the movie.

Only thing I could never bring myself to buy was the "Live at 25" CD and DVD from 2005. I don't know, man, these guys haven't aged very well. I still like them for what they do today, but they can't pull off their old stuff anymore.

Apart from that, the only other two artists whose complete album discographies I own are: Lighthouse Family (a whopping 4 albums, one of them being a best of), and Germany-based busker Mark Gillespie. One of my favourite musicians ever.

Well, and then there are my 780 other CDs.

-Patto (of all their 3 LPs I have 2 on vinyl, the rest are on CD...anybody have a decent copy of "Hold your Fire"?)
-Beatles-although I'm missing a lot of their UK LPs (Revolver in Mono and Help in Mono and Stereo)and Capitol's "Meet the Beatles" both in Mono and stero..and their "Oldies" 1966 LP.....but I have SPLHCB in mono in the 1st pressing ever (wide spine, with cut outs)-also have it in USA Capitol stereo LP, MMT in Mono(UK)-which I got in the MFSL Stereo LP, the only one not to get...I know, and "The White album" in Mono-which I also have in Capitol, both with all inserts...don't care about the CDs....
-Most King Crimson MAIN releases, except for "Thrak" and a couple of their EPs (not counting the Collector's Club" CDs)..projecKts and all...
-All of the Santana Quads in SQ
-Mr Mister..
-Kate Bush-all of her LPs, either on CD or LPs, and EPs..EXCEPT for "50 words for ....yawwwwn"
-Keane-All of their CDs , the Dual Disc, and 2 LPs (UTIS and PS)
-Cocteau Twins- all of their LPs, EPs and CDs, except for "Garlands" , which I could never stand!

But I think the biggest one is The Beatles' one....

Why did I know it would be Elton? Can you share what clothes and personal items you have of Elton? I assume you have the limited official Live in Verona?

haha.. you knew it would be EJ before I even posted here Linda ;)

Freddie Mercury & Queen are a close second, I have everything they ever officially released with all the albums in different masterings/packaging/formats plus singles (CD & 45) some bootlegs & rarities but only about 100 or so pieces in all, nowhere near approaching my Elton collection.

Other artists I really love where I have all their studio albums and a few other bits include, Bowie, Steely Dan/Don Fagen, Doobie Brothers, isley Brothers, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The O'Jays, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, The Who.

I have quite a few items of Eltons' clothing (Elton used to clear out his wardrobe every year for a good few years, setting up a Pop-Up shop in London called "Out of the Closet" to raise money for his Aids Foundation) including a denim jacket, which I can only imagine must have been custom made for him, although he most likely never wore it, because it is a very odd cut, the sleeves are big and billowy and the fit is for someone with an almighty barrel chest! I've also got several pairs of very "exotic" looking trousers (leopard prints ahoy!) and shirts (more Versace, and some similarly particularly lacking in good taste!), some Versace boots, some of his baseball caps, I can't remember everything off-hand. I've kept all the price tags etc to authenticate them although I've not found any photos of him in any of the outfits so i think they're all just insignificant cast-offs more than anything else.

ah.. just thinking about it all, maybe it's about time I had an Elton-style clear out to get rid of some of my old crap! :D

Hey Linda, yeah that's the standard edition. The Canadian one is identical except for the special version of HoRnR. :) I always loved that live version of "Workin' for a livin". They sometimes extended it to 8 minutes in concert.

Kap'n Krunch: Mr. Mister? How awesome is that! :)

haha.. you knew it would be EJ before I even posted here Linda ;)

Freddie Mercury & Queen are a close second, I have everything they ever officially released with all the albums in different masterings/packaging/formats plus singles (CD & 45) some bootlegs & rarities but only about 100 or so pieces in all, nowhere near approaching my Elton collection.

Other artists I really love where I have all their studio albums and a few other bits include, Bowie, Steely Dan/Don Fagen, Doobie Brothers, isley Brothers, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The O'Jays, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, The Who.

I have quite a few items of Eltons' clothing (Elton used to clear out his wardrobe every year for a good few years, setting up a Pop-Up shop in London called "Out of the Closet" to raise money for his Aids Foundation) including a denim jacket, which I can only imagine must have been custom made for him, although he most likely never wore it, because it is a very odd cut, the sleeves are big and billowy and the fit is for someone with an almighty barrel chest! I've also got several pairs of very "exotic" looking trousers (leopard prints ahoy!) and shirts (more Versace, and some similarly particularly lacking in good taste!), some Versace boots, some of his baseball caps, I can't remember everything off-hand. I've kept all the price tags etc to authenticate them although I've not found any photos of him in any of the outfits so i think they're all just insignificant cast-offs more than anything else.

ah.. just thinking about it all, maybe it's about time I had an Elton-style clear out to get rid of some of my old crap! :D

There's another big surround fan in the community, not on this forum (at least not visibly), who is a huge Elton-head and knows him personally. I should hook you two up.

Hey Linda, yeah that's the standard edition. The Canadian one is identical except for the special version of HoRnR. :) I always loved that live version of "Workin' for a livin". They sometimes extended it to 8 minutes in concert.

Kap'n Krunch: Mr. Mister? How awesome is that! :)

Yes, a HIGHLY underrated group!

Well, it all started when I was a DJ in an FM station in PR from 84 to 86 (2 Technics TTs with the old type mixer..ROTARY pots..as it should be!!)...WRPC-FM 95.1 on your dial (RIP)
I used to LOVE "Hunters of the night" from their first LP, and I used to play it a LOT..then came WTTRW with "Kyrie", et al. which , besides being played to death along with "Broken Wings", is a BRILLIANT LP....

Fast forward to me meeting my lovely Lis here in Madrid, and she had the cassette single of "Something Real", the single from "Go On", their next (BRILLIANT)LP that was BURIED by RCA (NEVER liked RCA/BMG/Polygram...their promotion SUCKED and never pushed great groups like Dan Reed Network, etc.), so we got it on CD (it's on the "to buy on LP" list!)-even got the 12" Maxi Single for that with the extra song that is not on the LP , but is on the CD...

Then a couple of years ago they officially released the LP (on CD) that was shelved cause the keyboard player had jumped ship, so it wasn't released by RCA, "Push"...

Needless to say I found it VERY curious to find Pat Mastelotto playing on XTC's "Oranges and Lemons" and then , of all people,
KING CRIMSON!!!

Yes, a HIGHLY underrated group!

Well, it all started when I was a DJ in an FM station in PR from 84 to 86 (2 Technics TTs with the old type mixer..ROTARY pots..as it should be!!)...WRPC-FM 95.1 on your dial (RIP)
I used to LOVE "Hunters of the night" from their first LP, and I used to play it a LOT..then came WTTRW with "Kyrie", et al. which , besides being played to death along with "Broken Wings", is a BRILLIANT LP....

Fast forward to me meeting my lovely Lis here in Madrid, and she had the cassette single of "Something Real", the single from "Go On", their next (BRILLIANT)LP that was BURIED by RCA (NEVER liked RCA/BMG/Polygram...their promotion SUCKED and never pushed great groups like Dan Reed Network, etc.), so we got it on CD (it's on the "to buy on LP" list!)-even got the 12" Maxi Single for that with the extra song that is not on the LP , but is on the CD...

Then a couple of years ago they officially released the LP (on CD) that was shelved cause the keyboard player had jumped ship, so it wasn't released by RCA, "Push"...

Needless to say I found it VERY curious to find Pat Mastelotto playing on XTC's "Oranges and Lemons" and then , of all people,
KING CRIMSON!!!

I only have "Welcome" and I agree, it's a great album! Not a bad song on it. I was excited when I learned about the remastered re-releases, which finally included that third album. I should give the other two a shot, then - never tried them!

Did you ever get your hands on the "Welcome to the Real World" Mini LP from Japan? I missed it when it came out and now it's near-impossible to find. :-( I'm really curious about that one's remastering (the US re-release didn't have all too good remastering) and the bonus tracks.

Back