HiRez Poll Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Got mine today in the mail. Nice Sound. Good use of the surrounds, mixed like a vintage mix with split Fc/Bc vocals on some songs. Drums across the front, guitars and stuff across the back. I'll be honest and say I bought this specifically for the 5.1. I like Skynyrd and I'll support this and more releases that tickle my fancy. I wish the 5.1 Disc was a mirror of the stereo disc. I too would like to know why it's missing a few tracks. My all-time fave "Call Me the Breeze" is missing. :( This would've been a 10/10 for me if the 5.1 were a complete album like the Stereo CD.

Maybe they're saving a few songs for "Son of Southern Surroundings"! A 9'er for me also, not too much to dislike about the mix or sonics, but the ommision of a couple of songs does annoy.....but you do get the live Sweet Home in glorious mono.

One last thing, has any else had problems with the first note of each song being cut off just a little. I notice that when I play through my hdmi cable and have it decoded by the receiver, that's what happens. But when I play it via my analog outs (an OPPO bd player) it plays fine. I figure its my receiver, but think it's odd that the disc was authored in a way that causes it. Can't think of another one that does it. But there is a long gap between each song and I think it loses it's sync.

REM - In Time, Foreigner - Foreigner, Jane's Addiction - Strays, The Corrs - In Blue, the JVC sampler .... It annoys me to no end. And my receiver's analogue inputs are taken by my PC, so I'm stuck with truncated songs until I can afford better equipment.

Hey, is it true that the BDP-93 does not have this cut-off / loss of sync problem when connected over HDMI? I'm using the 83.

Finally, a cheap, dvd audio with kick ass driving music in surround sound to feed all those players in automobiles as well as home units. Looks like someone in the industry finally gets it.
Phil.

I've heard every single one of these songs at least 10 thousand times

but they have NEVER sounded this good

*approximately

Last edited:
Hello. Had to dig deep yesterday at Wal-Mart to find the lucky single copy (went ot 3 other stores over the weekend). I agree fully on the mix. Very appropriate sound stage. Classic Elliot. I nicked it a point due to the late starts on 3 songs. Especially on "That Smell"- that opening chord crunch starts the song up so nicely, and it was sad to miss a blip of that. Thanks.

Gave this a solid 9. Mix is outstanding as we might expect from ES. Sound quality is better than any other source I've ever heard, except maybe the live show in July of 1974 when I saw them. There are a couple of editing glitches on Free Bird but are barely perceptible. Song choice is the main complaint. They could have included a couple other tunes and left off at least one tune to suit my tastes. The surprise factor and the hunt were great fun and I hope Walmart does that again with other artists. Dare them to do this again with AC/DC. LOL

Great disc and very thankful I got one. Mix and sound are both top notch and it got a nine from me, even with a few good songs noticeably absent. Who said this thing has no bass? Its not muddy but there is plenty of it for me.

My online order finally arrived today, overdue and I'm looking forward to hearing this.

For those disappointed about Sweet Home Alabama, I believe the masters can't be located, meaning a discrete mix couldn't be made.
The Rock Band game (which requires the multitrack masters) has released several Skynyrd songs (including Free Bird and Simple Man), but Sweet Home Alabama was released as a live version, indicating the studio version was unavailable/unsuitable.

Also it already shows as sold out on Walmart's site! I missed this before and am hoping they get back in stock or become available elsewhere (at reasonable cost)...

For those disappointed about Sweet Home Alabama, I believe the masters can't be located, meaning a discrete mix couldn't be made.
The Rock Band game (which requires the multitrack masters) has released several Skynyrd songs (including Free Bird and Simple Man), but Sweet Home Alabama was released as a live version, indicating the studio version was unavailable/unsuitable.

Also it already shows as sold out on Walmart's site! I missed this before and am hoping they get back in stock or become available elsewhere (at reasonable cost)...

that's a great shame the multi's can't be found for "Sweet Home Alabama" but it would explain its absence from this otherwise excellent (by all reports here!) set.

I'm wondering what the next move for UMe will be now. this is obviously a huge sell-out. will they re-press?
will they ditch the WalMart exclusivity in time?

it will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

I'm hoping (beyond hope!) that the success of this paves the way for Universal to get a load more 5.1 DVD-Audio's out there now!

..including the remaining Greg Penny Elton John 5.1 mixes of "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player", "Caribou", "Rock of the Westies" and "Blue Moves"..!!

wouldn't it be SUPERCOOL to see the remaining Elton's come out on DVDA (at last!)..?!?

Got mine today. Got it from Ebay actually. Paid twice the price, but for me it was worth it.

I rated this a 9 for two reasons.

1: Song selection. Sweet Home Alabama and Tuesday's Gone would have been a nice inclusion.

2: Freebird. The slide guitar needs more presence. It's part of the classic signature of the song. Yet it's really tamed down in the 5.1 mix.

A_L

I simply cannot understand how multitracks - especially from the mid-to-late '70s can go "missing". Are there not safety copies? Are there not digital copies? Are the labels REALLY that inept and/or foolish? Damaged I could understand. But completely absent? I don't buy it. One song I could see, but several? I dunno. If this is the sad state of affairs the record companies are in - no wonder they don't want to embrace multichannel!! It requires responsibility on their part!

*Edit* I see they were on MCA in those early years. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Mine arrived today. Thank you, Byrdman!! I expected to rate it 9, and that's what I did. Good surround mixes, great value. It would have been a 10 IF there were 5.1 mixes of Sweet Home Alabama and Little Girl.

If I knew that it would later be available elsewhere, I would have GLADLY waited. Wal-Mart is a sweat shop and I DO NOT patronize them. Three years ago, I got extreme disrespect at my local Wal-Mart from a Customer Service Manager who had been required by his professor to attend one of my college lecturers. They were gender based slurs. When I called the District Manager to complain, a week went by without a returned call I was informed by her secretary that she was too busy opening a new store. I wrote to the President of Wal-Mart and am still awaiting a reply. They embody EVERYTHING WRONG with the US today.

What do you mean by available elsewhere? Does Best Buy, etc. have it now?

Mine arrived today. Thank you, Byrdman!! I expected to rate it 9, and that's what I did. Good surround mixes, great value. It would have been a 10 IF there were 5.1 mixes of Sweet Home Alabama and Little Girl.

If I knew that it would later be available elsewhere, I would have GLADLY waited. Wal-Mart is a sweat shop and I DO NOT patronize them. Three years ago, I got extreme disrespect at my local Wal-Mart from a Customer Service Manager who had been required by his professor to attend one of my college lecturers. They were gender based slurs. When I called the District Manager to complain, a week went by without a returned call I was informed by her secretary that she was too busy opening a new store. I wrote to the President of Wal-Mart and am still awaiting a reply. They embody EVERYTHING WRONG with the US today.

I haven't purposely stepped foot in a WalMart in about ten years. Completely agree. Bought this online, though, because there was no other choice.

REM - In Time, Foreigner - Foreigner, Jane's Addiction - Strays, The Corrs - In Blue, the JVC sampler .... It annoys me to no end. And my receiver's analogue inputs are taken by my PC, so I'm stuck with truncated songs until I can afford better equipment.

Hey, is it true that the BDP-93 does not have this cut-off / loss of sync problem when connected over HDMI? I'm using the 83.

This cut off is definitely happening on this title on the Oppo BDP 83 (&SE), and (FYI) it also happens via the analog outs!

Why in 2012 do they author discs like this. Neil - I know you wouldn't author a disc that cut outs at the start on an Oppo 83..

Surely all you need to do is put a bit of silence at the start of the tracks, or author them with "seamless playback" - arghh....

Also (like the Rush DVD-A discs) the menu indicator isn't visible during playback - anyone else getting this on an Oppo 83? I have to use the page up/ down button rather than the arrows & enter.

Back