Eric Clapton - new boxset with 74/74 quad mixes & Scheiner 461 Ocean Blvd. 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
According to a poster on SH.tv, the contents of the recently announced 6-disc Eric Clapton box called 'Give Me Strength: The 1974/1975 Recordings' will include the following Blu-Ray disc:

DISC SIX (BLU-RAY)

1. 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD Elliot Scheiner 5.1 Surround Sound mix (previously unreleased)

5.1 Surround Mix by Elliot Scheiner at The Eyeball.

2. 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD original quadraphonic mix
Mixed by Tom Dowd at Criteria Recording Studios, Miami, Florida, January 1975.

3. THERE’S ONE IN EVERY CROWD original quadraphonic mix

4. E.C. WAS HERE original quadraphonic mix (previously unreleased)
Mastered by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, New York, August 2013.
DVD Authoring: Metropolis Group, London

The remaining 5 CDs are expanded versions of 461 Ocean Blvd, There's One In Every Crowd, a 2-disc version of EC Was Here, and a disc of Freddie King Criteria studios sessions. The box is listing for about $80 on amazon.com right now and street date is November 25th.

Not another massive box set to get the one disc of goodies!

I think I'll wait to see if someone breaks the sets up like they did with the PF blu-rays.

Not the perfect delivery method, nice to see the legacy quad mixes were found and seen to have merit to be included.

Maybe there's a Tom Dowd aisle and some Allman Brothers Band albums get another go round?

yeah, quite expensive for one BD-A.
amazon.ca not yet even have price on this one.
perhaps i should place it on pre-order and see.
maybe amazon will do mistake, like last time on Layla box-set :p

HOLY CRAP!

Sure, it's expensive, but look at it as 4 releases! Wow, unreleased quad mix?

You'd pay big bucks for that on eBay! :)

According to a poster on SH.tv, the contents of the recently announced 6-disc Eric Clapton box called 'Give Me Strength: The 1974/1975 Recordings' will include the following Blu-Ray disc:

DISC SIX (BLU-RAY)

1. 461 OCEAN BOULEVARD Elliot Scheiner 5.1 Surround Sound mix (previously unreleased)

The remaining 5 CDs are expanded versions of 461 Ocean Blvd, There's One In Every Crowd, a 2-disc version of EC Was Here, and a disc of Freddie King Criteria studios sessions. The box is listing for about $80 on amazon.com right now and street date is November 25th.

Considering it includes:
4 mixes including:
A unreleased Elliot mix (461) :banana:

Unreleased quad mix :banana:

Hi-rez of There's One in Every Crowd :banana:

I think I'll order it...

This is looking to be a MUCH more worthwhile box set than the gigantic (and overly repetitive) Slowhand box set from last year.
Different albums, different mixes, on Blu-Ray, all included for $80.

Considering I paid over a $110 for the Quadrophenia box set containing a DVD-A of a 5.1 mix of only half of the album, this set looks like a bargain by comparison! :)

(Only downside is that I wish they would've extended the set to include "No Reason to Cry", even if it meant creating a brand new 5.1 mix from scratch if a Quad or 5.1 mix didn't already exist)

Universal are starting to come around yet again.

Great, I'm in for this too. Was anyone even aware that this unreleased mix even existed? Makes one wonder what else is just sitting in there! This is what we've been asking for, unreleased and new re-releases of Quadraphonic titles. As Jon said, think of it as buying 4 titles at once.

OH MY... WORD..!!!! :yikes

anybody found a UK pre-order yet?

this is like a dream-come true!

my favourite period of Clapton and there's
- a new previously unreleased Quad mix of EC Was Here :yikes
- a new previously unreleased Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of 461 OB :yikes
- the Quads of 461 & T1IEC in BDA :yikes

..just WOW!!!!!

if Universal's standalone Pure Audio blu-ray's were along the lines of the blu-ray in this upcoming box set they would be flying off the shelves!

I guess they figured they'd (UMG) make up for the lack of video material by STUFFING a blu-ray with not one, not two, not three but FOUR SURROUND ALBUM MIXES in one package.!!!!!

Please please please Universal, if you're reading this Forum, do the same with the previously unreleased Elton John album surround mixes! Do a Super Deluxe Edition box of the "Classic Years" and package with it a blu-ray Audio with all the Greg Penny 5.1 mixes both prev. released (Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain Fantastic) together with those other classic titles that were announced and are completed but ultimately got cancelled (Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, Caribou, Rock Of The Westies, Blue Moves).

also, this box set got me thinking... how many other Previously Unreleased Surround mixes by the AWESOME Elliot Scheiner do Universal (and others) have tucked away in their vaults..?!?

it won't be long before we've had just as many of his incredible mixes after the DVD-A vs. SACD format wars days than during! (e.g. All Elliot Scheiner mixes that never made it out back then - Moondance, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Layla, 461 OB...).

Come on Universal! Give us Elliot Scheiner's "Pretzel Logic" in 5.1..!!!!

Oh and please release anything else in 5.1 or Quadraphonic you're sitting on, before all of us who are interested & are your potential customers are dead or deaf! You've got a window of a couple of years to get all this out on blu-ray before downloads take over completely, do it now and you'll clean up! Watch the pre-orders for this box go through the roof!

Actually, I hope it's not a Limited Edition (like the Oldfield Crises 5-disc set that's been so popular they've had to re-press it.. now THAT would be DUMB..!!!! Or would it be very sneaky and clever!? Getting folks to buy a Limited edition under false pretenses by just making more to meet demand!? :mad:@:

Great, I'm in for this too. Was anyone even aware that this unreleased mix even existed? Makes one wonder what else is just sitting in there! This is what we've been asking for, unreleased and new re-releases of Quadraphonic titles. As Jon said, think of it as buying 4 titles at once.

I've definitely never heard of a quad mix of EC Was Here before. I have a feeling that there are probably a lot of unreleased quad mixes from the dying years of quad (1975-1977) that we don't even know about. Obviously there's Mark Anderson's wonderful list of titles announced but never released, which holds a bunch of goodies. When Bob Vosgien, the guy who mastered the CTA Quadio release was posting here, he revealed a whole bunch of unreleased quad mixes that were in the Warner vaults, including:

Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters
Gentle Giant – Time To Kill
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Jethro Tull – MU Best Of
Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery
Yes - Close To The Edge

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I have a feeling that's just the tip of the iceberg too. Here's hoping that more of them find their way out, one way or another.

DISC SIX (BLU-RAY)

So I am now off to Amazon to put in my pre order.......great stuff.
It's not listed at all in the UK - says "import only" and tells me I can be notified, so sprung for it on the US site.
Scheiner mix of 4561 - Yum.

Back