Oppo issues with Dream Theater DVD-Audio (9/13)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this (yet?) but my Oppo 103 has an issue with the DVD Audio 5.1 playback (2.0 is fine) - after about 20 seconds the audio stutters and eventually comes to a halt. I can play it fine on my computer though and was able to extract the 24/96 5.1 files and convert to flac for streaming via the Oppo - works fine. I even converted to DTS 5.1 for playback on my car's MEX DV2200 system. Not sure what the deal is - but would love to know if anyone has the same problem.

As far as the mix goes - I was quite pleasantly surprised. A very active and discrete mix. The drums especially are powerful and present - quite the opposite to Chycki's Rush mixes . I am a casual fan of Dream Theater which means that I can appreciate the visceral pleasure of the musicianship without opting in to the band's compositional skills. No one combines pure muscular playing with the fine touch of blinding sweep arpeggios quite like Petrucci (ok well maybe Guthrie Govan), and the hyper-kinetic drumming of Mike Mangini is equal to his predecessor Mike Portnoy. The opening track, "False Awakening Suite," is a fun bit of Wagnerian Prog Metal complete with orchestra and 5.1 swirling wooshes. No prog opus would be complete without a 20 minute plus track and the final track, "Illumination Theory," ably lives up to the task. I'll give it a few more listens before casting my vote but it's at least a 9.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this (yet?) but my Oppo 103 has an issue with the DVD Audio 5.1 playback (2.0 is fine) - after about 20 seconds the audio stutters and eventually comes to a halt. I can play it fine on my computer though and was able to extract the 24/96 5.1 files and convert to flac for streaming via the Oppo - works fine. I even converted to DTS 5.1 for playback on my car's MEX DV2200 system. Not sure what the deal is - but would love to know if anyone has the same problem.

I know of another person who has this same problem on their Oppo 103. It plays just fine on my 83 so go figure. Do you have all the current firmware?

Anyway, as a Dream Theatre fanboy I've been waiting for a hi-rez recording for 10 years now. The DVD-A mix is very immersive with lots of activity. I was especially taken back how fantastic the drumming sounded.

I always have a hard time rating new MCH music. It's much easier to rate say Dire Straits-BIA, Fleetwood Mac-Rumours, Pink Floyd albums, etc... as I've heard those 1,000 times before hearing them for the first time in MCH. The sonics are so much better, the MCH brings so much more depth to the music. Given those gold standards I'd rate this a 7.5, but since I can't do that I'll round up to an 8.

Happy listening.

I also have the same problem with the Australian version of the oppo bdp-105, the bdp-105AU. There is no menu, it plays OK for 20 secs and then descends into a distorted mess, and does not readily respond to the remote control command to stop or eject.

Odd how only the latest models of players have these problems while the disc plays fine on old machines from years ago.

After a bit of back and forth with Oppo customer service, I have agreed to send them my disc for testing - I tried explaining that this was most likely not the issue of my specific disc but some incompatibility with their firmware. However in the interest of the greater good, I have acquiesced. Here is their response;

"We want your specific disc for media compatibility testing to ensure that your errors are not related to your specific player having reading difficulties. If you send us your disc and we find that the disc plays back properly, then your player will need to be repaired. If the disc produces the same errors, then we can purchase a disc and see if the same errors persist. When they do, then we can return the disc to you."

I await the return postage USPS envelope they have ageed to send - this process will take much longer than it should but as they say, "patience is a virtue rewarded."

Of course, all of you other Oppo 103/105 owners with the same problem can contact them as well - I suggested a 15 minute drive down to their local Best Buy as faster solution but get the impression that is rather unlikely.

.... I suggested a 15 minute drive down to their local Best Buy as faster solution but get the impression that is rather unlikely.
That's a good suggestion. Best Buy does have stores there in China.

The Oppo customer service dept is in Mountain View, CA which the last time I checked, is in the United States

It is. I've been fortunate enough to drive down there with Oppos for repair in the past. They have been very responsive for me.

I have sent problematic discs to Oppo in the past with good results. Since the older models play the disc properly I expect a quick resolution to the issue.

I'm having the same problem with this disc on my OPPO BDP-103 which has the latest official firmware. I haven't tried the Beta firmware that was released back in August. I was able to play and rip the audio on my PC with no problems.

I'm having the same problem with this disc on my OPPO BDP-103 which has the latest official firmware. I haven't tried the Beta firmware that was released back in August. I was able to play and rip the audio on my PC with no problems.

Here's the latest correspondence from Oppo (after I clued them in to the fact that I was not the only one having these issues);

"Since you are stating other customers are reporting similar issues with the 5.1 soundtrack, we will obtain a copy of this DVD-Audio and try to replicate the issues in-house. If possible, we will resolve these errors through a future firmware release."

My 103 has exhibited failure to play discs filper made for me. They start ok then turn to mush. Only one the latest works ok.

For me, the 103 has been up to this particular disc, flawless in it's playback capability. I have a significant number of discs - commercial, "ahem," and my own authored concoctions - all play fine. I have no specific technical proof, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the autoplay/menuless authoring on this disc. Oppo will figure it out.

For me, the 103 has been up to this particular disc, flawless in it's playback capability. I have a significant number of discs - commercial, "ahem," and my own authored concoctions - all play fine. I have no specific technical proof, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the autoplay/menuless authoring on this disc. Oppo will figure it out.

Turns out Oppo says it is a known issue, and is doing a fix at the end of Oct. The wierd part is it will do one in particular just fine.

I have exactly the same problem with my Cambridge Audio Azur 752 BD. :( It's my understanding that this player shares a lot of the same chipset with the Oppo players. Will be interesting to see if the customer services response from CA is as good as Oppo!

Back