Some VIDEO COLLECTION you may not know are true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also interested in the INXS dvd now.:).
I saw a single and a double dvd-version.

Do you really need the 2-disc version?

Yes. :)

Though the first disc has all the essentials, disc 2 features more really cool stuff: remixes, live material, and even more videos! And every last bit of it is in DTS 5.1.

Only drawback: the videos on disc 1 have interviews between them. Before every single video, the guys are talking about it. I ripped the discs to my PC and removed the interview chapters so the videos play in sequence.

I'd add The Flaming Lips - VOID, which is totally discrete and a lot of fun if not a little brittle in it's DD presentation.

The Tea Party disc is awesome - it is indeed completely discreet and a really cool mix to boot. Kind of Doors/Sisters Of Mercy vibe but the content is really elevated by the mix. Lovely DTS too.

A weird one to throw in is 'Paul Weller - Modern Classics On Film' which has 5.1 DD. Weller is normally in the centre/fronts with the second guitar and drums panned to the rear as well. Occasionally a hammond whirrs from behind and the whole effect is quite pleasant. A missed opportunity because you can hear that they've got some stuff isolated but the calibre of the music lets them get away with it a little. It's a pretty old compilation too and normally less than a couple of quid. Two DVD9s stuffed with live cuts and promos. I guess you could describe it as a little like an average SQ/QS mix.

'Page And Planet - No Quarter - Unledded' is totally discrete with a full and rich DTS track. I'd go as far as saying Kevin Shirley does an almost Scheineresque job here, spreading everything out evenly yet spaciously. It's only his fondness for split rear call and response and the occasional pan that differ from the ES model. Pagey is once again in questionable tuning here and there but it only adds to the authenticity. It's also pretty funny to watch their young and slight drummer hit his drums about as hard as he can. He really goes for it.

I'm sure I have more to add - I'll have a rummage and report back. Loving everyones work on this thread by the way.

Build it and they will come.

photo.jpg

sounds right :) there's also Shawn Colvin ("Polaroids".?) and Tori Amos music video DVDs in 5.1 but I don't own either so can't comment on the mixes. any QQ-ers have them and if so what are they like?

The Shawn Colvin is very good in my opinion. Both the videos and the live cuts seem to me to be descreet 5.1 mixes. The unplugged portion is VERY good! Recommended!

Hi, i would like to mention the DVD of BIG COUNTRY - "The Ultimate Collection"; it is in DTS 5.1 and for me a lot of the songs sound discrete.........is a very good DVD and i wasn´t very aware of this band, but it has a lot of very good tunes.

Forgot to mention the Cyndi Lauper DVD - "12 Deadly Cyns....and then some", it is in Dolby 5.1 but seems discrete to me in a lot of songs and it sounds great, i found this disc very enjoyable......
edit: i know some members already said it is an upmix, but i am not really sure about this statement. Give it a spin

Whoa guys this thread should be stickied.

[*]The Offspring - Greatest Hits (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (I thought that was only available on audio 5.1 DualDisc? People say it's shit)

You're right, my mistake, sorry.
So I'd like to change The Offspring for:
R.E.M. - In View (The Best of R.E.M 1988-2003) (DTS, Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) The music on this one speaks for itself, I'd say. The surround mix is really good, nothing spectacular, but very listenable.

Yes, I have it. Long time gone since my last listening. I'll give it a new listening and let you know about it (might last some days, though...)
I'm listening to the Robert Plant DVD right now. Sounds pretty good to me (sometimes a bit too much "80's", if you know what I mean), particularly the Honeydrippers-stuff is fun...

Whoa guys this thread should be stickied.

Adam also mentioned "Phantom Power" and "Rings around the World" by the Super Furry Animals, which may or may not be interesting. So they're audio-only DVD-Vs?

Excellent, discrete 5.1 DTS mixes. Both contain videos & animations which are entertaining the first go round but can be skipped on repeated viewings. Welsh, psych/power/pop.

If we're counting those, we can also add this studio album:

Lemon Jelly: '69-'95- DVD edition. Proper 5.1 mix and crazy animations.

If we're counting those, we can also add this studio album:

Lemon Jelly: '69-'95- DVD edition. Proper 5.1 mix and crazy animations.

sorry that was my cock up, I had a blonde moment and mentioned those Super Furry DVD's, then realised we were talking about Music Video collections.. :eek: and then got called to a job and forgot to edit/add comment abouddit..!!

sorry that was my cock up, I had a blonde moment and mentioned those Super Furry DVD's, then realised we were talking about Music Video collections.. :eek: and then got called to a job and forgot to edit/add comment abouddit..!!

Rings Around the World IS a Music Video collection - Phantom Power is animation videos - but a collection nonetheless.

Rings Around the World IS a Music Video collection - Phantom Power is animation videos - but a collection nonetheless.

Ohhhh eeeetssss sooooo confuuuuuussssinnngggg theeeeeese daaaayyyysss..!!!! :mad:@:

I thought I said the right thing, then I thought I said the wrong thing, then I thought I said the right thing again, then I thought I said the wrong thing again and now it turns out I said the right thing again! Partially! Yeay! :ugham:

Ohhhh eeeetssss sooooo confuuuuuussssinnngggg theeeeeese daaaayyyysss..!!!! :mad:@:

I thought I said the right thing, then I thought I said the wrong thing, then I thought I said the right thing again, then I thought I said the wrong thing again and now it turns out I said the right thing again! Partially! Yeay! :ugham:

No worries Fred - it's all good. Hopefully someone will check it out and get turned on to some phantasmic music!

Back