Some VIDEO COLLECTION you may not know are true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhh eeeetssss sooooo confuuuuuussssinnngggg theeeeeese daaaayyyysss..!!!! :mad:@:

I thought I said the right thing, then I thought I said the wrong thing, then I thought I said the right thing again, then I thought I said the wrong thing again and now it turns out I said the right thing again! Partially! Yeay! :ugham:

Just confuse things further - there is a Super Furry Animals video collection called 'Songbook: The Singles Vol.1' which has some cuts from the above disc in the same 5.1 mixes.

And relax.

Just confuse things further - there is a Super Furry Animals video collection called 'Songbook: The Singles Vol.1' which has some cuts from the above disc in the same 5.1 mixes.

And relax.

got that SFA Songbook DVD somewhere, IIRC some tracks are in stereo only..!? or upmixed, or crap mixes, or summit like that..! either way I remember being faintly dismayed with Songbook when I bought it, whereas the Phantasmic-a-tron Power and Rings Around Uranus are fantabuloso!

got that SFA Songbook DVD somewhere, IIRC some tracks are in stereo only..!? or upmixed, or crap mixes, or summit like that..! either way I remember being faintly dismayed with Songbook when I bought it, whereas the Phantasmic-a-tron Power and Rings Around Uranus are fantabuloso!

I think it's just four tracks which are discrete, the rest are stereo. Either way, a missed opportunity to get some of the Fuzzy Logic tracks in surround.

Currently waiting to test Tears For Fears - Gold, The Residents - Icky Flix, TLC - Now and Then, Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits, Mariah Carey No.1s, Lionel Richie Collection. I'll report back.

I think it's just four tracks which are discrete, the rest are stereo. Either way, a missed opportunity to get some of the Fuzzy Logic tracks in surround.

Currently waiting to test Tears For Fears - Gold, The Residents - Icky Flix, TLC - Now and Then, Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits, Mariah Carey No.1s, Lionel Richie Collection. I'll report back.

Ah thank you! that's the story with Songbook, I knew it wasn't upto the levels of surround goodness of Phantom & Rings.

I'd say forget Lionel & Whitney, unless you're alright with an upmix you could do better yourself or put the stereo thru PLII etc.

i don't have any of the others you mention so caveat emptor and all that! :)

The Tears for Fears collection interests me...
Does anybody have it?

Don't bother with Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston. See here and here.

I checked out Cher, Mötley Crüe and The Cure as well, but only had very little time for each (this morning before I left for the office). All 3 are discrete 5.1 remixes. Mötley Crüe sounded very, very thin when I played it back with VLC Media Player. Out of curiosity, I tried it in "Totem" (Ubuntu's movie player) and it sounded better, so that's kinda interesting - up until this morning, I didn't realize they handled sound reproduction differently.

Either way, I'll have more info soon! First impression is that all 3 discs are discrete and recommendable. But remember all 3 are Dolby Digital only.

Both Cyndi Lauper and The Cure DVD's are awful 5.1 "unwraps" from the stereo masters. I have the LD of Cyndi Lauper and the Staring At The Sea LD of the Cure and both sound far better played thru the Fosgate Tate II or Involve decoder than the 5.1 unwraps. The Cure DVD also has a lot of vocal spill into the surrounds on the 5.1, which makes it sound like a bad, non-logic matrix decoding. I HATE lead vocals mixed into the surrounds to pull them into the center of the room - as i said, it makes it sound like non-logic SQ. and often the phasing of the front and back channels isn't correct in the upmix which causes listening fatigue. Thw absolute WORST multichannel sound DVD has to go to TOMMY - the Quintaphonic Sound was decoded completely incorrectly, using a QS decoder WITHOUT Vario-Matrix, so all the sound comes from everywhere with no localization of anything. its just one big mess of sound.

In addition, TLC Now and Then is ambience (with the LFE info wrongly in rear right for some reason), Mariah is double stereo more or less, Tina Turner The Best is also ambience.

Here's one more:
Trapeze - The Collection (DTS, Dolby 5.1, Stereo)

Hey guys, I'm really falling in love with that Mötley Crüe disc. The're just so much fun! The mixes are more than adequate, in fact, they really serve the music. All the tracks work great if you turn off your TV and just listen to the music. I think there's 2 videos that have some sound effects during the songs, but they don't distract all that much.

You should really get it. It even sounds great! You just need to remember to turn up your subwoofer higher than you usually have it.

I took a listen to the J-Lo DVD as well and I just can't bring myself to like her stuff. The couple of tracks I listened to didn't sound too spectacular to me mix-wise, but I'm probably not the best judge cos I dismissed it fairly quickly.

This is a brilliant thread - many thanks for compiling the list, TBS! :)

I have ordered the Lemon Jelly DVD (always looking for good dance/electronica in 5.1) and will report back when it arrives.

My Lemon Jelly DVD arrived today (ordered thanks to this thread!)

Playing it now and it's very enjoyable. Not fully discrete but I don't think it's synthesized either. DTS 5.1 and not the best fidelity but not too bad. either The surround mix isn't what we're used to with the best but it's quite immersive in it's own way.

But there's no doubt that this is all about the visuals. It's a real head trip and obviously designed to be listened to/watched in a "altered state of consciousness."

Certainly not an essential surround title, but if you're a fan of LJ, psychedelic dance or maybe just LSD ;) it's well worth getting.

I think I've posted this before but the LaserDisc of David Bowie Jazzin' For Blue Jean and the DVD with the entire short film of ...Blue Jean as a bonus track is encoded in Dolby Stereo. Also the LaserDisc, which I don't think exists on DVD, of Liza Minelli and Friends is encoded in Shure StereoSurround. The US LD of Olivia Twist Of Fate is encoded in Dolby Stereo - well, only the first 4 videos from the film Two Of A Kind. There's also a cool Proton demo disc that uses Lita Ford's music and it's encoded in Ultra Stereo - in fact, the inventor of Ultra Stereo is credited with the encoding and sound production on the demo disc.

I know there are a few DVD's encoded in Lexicon Logic 7 (Freddy VS Jason) but does anyone know if there are any DVD's encoded in Neural Surround or Dolby Pro Logic The Sequel? Supposedly Blu-ray can output PLII encoded stereo but I haven't found any thqt do - they are all regular Dolby MP. The Steve Miller Band In Concert DVD has both 5.1 and Circle Surround on it but I don't know of any other Circle Surround DVD's. David Bowie's Serious Moonlight DVD has an awful 5.1 "unwrap" mix but also has the 2 channel SQ encoded soundtrack. It was a Pioneer release and now I've only ever found it at Netflix and made a copy of it.

Back