Some VIDEO COLLECTION you may not know are true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Lemon Jelly DVD arrived today (ordered thanks to this thread!)

Playing it now and it's very enjoyable. Not fully discrete but I don't think it's synthesized either. DTS 5.1 and not the best fidelity but not too bad. either The surround mix isn't what we're used to with the best but it's quite immersive in it's own way.

But there's no doubt that this is all about the visuals. It's a real head trip and obviously designed to be listened to/watched in a "altered state of consciousness."

Certainly not an essential surround title, but if you're a fan of LJ, psychedelic dance or maybe just LSD ;) it's well worth getting.

Glad you like it! I certainly do... :)

Whoa guys this thread should be stickied.

[UPDATED OCT 31]​

So now we have the following real or very good 5.1 (alphabetical, with my notes in red):

1. Big Country - The Ultimate Collection (DTS 5.1) (Very good DVD according to depeche76, discrete surround)
  2. Billy Joel - The Ultimate Collection (Dolby 5.1, LPCM stereo) (some real 5.1, some fake. People seem to like this one. I don't like it at all. PM me and I'll send you my copy, you only pay shipping)
  3. Cher - The Very Best of Cher - The Video Hits Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2004) (as mentioned in this thread, true 5.1 and overall pretty well done! The late-90s songs have better mixes, the 80s/early 90s stuff is a bit hit-and-miss. It's incomplete (e.g. "I got you Babe" and "Love and Understanding" are missing, but a great companion to her 1999 "If I Could Turn Back Time" Greatest Hits CD.)
  4. Dru Hill - Hits - The Videos (DTS 5.1) (is this the right disc? how is this disc?)
  5. Enya - The Very Best Of (PCM stereo, Dolby 5.1, DTS) (incomplete collection, boring mixes, good sound. Don't bother if you ask me)
  6. Helloween - Hellish Videos - The Complete Video Collection (looks like DD 5.1. Comments?)
  7. INXS - I'm Only Looking - The Essential INXS (Dolby 2.0, 5.1; DTS) (great one. Get the 2-disc version - every last bit on here is in discrete DTS and it's all cool.)
  8. Janet Jackson - From Janet. to Damita Jo - The Videos (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2004) (excellent mixes and sound. Real keeper!)
  9. Jennifer Lopez - The Reel Me (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2003) (ooh this sounds interesting!)
  10. John Lennon - Lennon Legend - the very best of John Lennon (LPCM stereo, dts 5.1, dolby 5.1) (great one)
  11. Metallica - The Videos 1989-2004 (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (pretty good mixes, but thin sound)
  12. Mötley Crüe - Greatest Video Hits (2003, Dolby Digital 5.1) (as mentioned in this thread, true 5.1. Sound quality is on the thin side, but the mixes are apparently really good and it's a very well-compiled set, with lots of rarities thrown in.)
  13. Michael Jackson - History Vol. I (DD or DTS?) (always on the fence about this, cos his videos are short movies so you can't really put them into the player, turn off the screen and just enjoy the 5.1 music. Plus, like you guys said, not all here is 5.1)
  14. Paul McCartney - The McCartney Years (DTS 5.1) (great one)
  15. Paul Weller - Modern Classics on Film (90-01) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (2 discs with over 4 hours of footage: live concerts as well as all his solo promo clips. Good mixing, but could have been better.)
  16. Peter Gabriel - "Play The Videos" (DTS 96/24, 2004) (nothing short of fantastic. the first pressing has a bug on the DTS track that causes it to play at incredibly low volume. Fixed version first released in Europe. It's also out there as a torrent and now available bundled with the "Live in Athens" Blu Ray)
  17. Queen's Greatest Video Hits 1 and 2 (DTS 96/24, 2002 and 2003) (amazing discs)
  18. R.E.M. - In View (The Best of R.E.M 1988-2003) (DTS, Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) (All songs also available on the "In Time" DVD-A. The surround mix is really good, nothing spectacular, but very listenable.)
  19. Robert Plant - Nine Lives (Box Set) (Bonus dvd, dolby 2.0, 5.1, dts: documentary and 20 promo clips in stereo & 5.1)
  20. Run DMC - (found "Together Forever" (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2000) and "Ultimate Run DMC" (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2003). Which one do you recommend? How are they?)
  21. Sade - Life Promise Pride Love (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (pretty sure all music is upmixed from 2.0, but nicely done. Sounds in the videos are in true 5.1 (e.g. city ambience, or the chase at the end of Smooth Operator). Love the disc.)
  22. Shawn Colvin - Polaroids - Video Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1) (recommended disc according to uffeolby, especially for the Unplugged portion! All discrete 5.1.)
  23. Tea Party - Illuminations - The Tea Party Collection (DTS, Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) (this is the TITS)
  24. The Flaming Lips - VOID (Video Overview in Deceleration) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (Fun but brittle in DD)
  25. Twisted Sister - The Video Years (Dolby 5.1) (is this the right disc? how is this disc?)

And we have identified the following as fake 5.1:

1. B-52s - Time Capsule (CD+DVD Edition) (Dolby Digital?) (lousy echo-in-the-rears 5.1)
  2. Bruce Springsteen - The Complete Video Anthology 1978-2000 (Dolby Digital 5.1) (lousy echo-in-the-rears 5.1)
  3. Cyndi Lauper - 12 Deadly Cyns... And Then Some (Dolby Digital 5.1) (This is very likely an upmix, sounds a bit thin too. But they did what they could with it and you do get a 5.1 experience, albeit a flawed one if you ask me. Might be worth a spin. More info here.)
  4. Lionel Richie - The Lionel Richie Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2003) (See here)
  5. Meat Loaf - Hits out of Hell (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2000)
  6. New Order - A Collection (Dolby 5.1, LPCM stereo) (another fake 5.1 disc to stay away from.)
  7. Sugababes - Overloaded - The Singles Collection (DTS 5.1!) (most likely upmix. Adam will confirm.)
  8. Take That - Never Forget - The Ultimate Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2006) (gave it a spin. Stereo with reverb.)
  9. The Cure - Greatest Hits (Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) (Unwrapped from 2.0. Bad.)
  10. Tori Amos - Video Collection: Fade to Red (fake, sounds bad.)
  11. Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits (2000) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (Forget it. Stereo with reverb. Shame. More here.)

And other titles mentioned, though not really "promo clip collections" in the classic MTV sense:

1. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - No Quarter - Unledded (DTS, live) (apparently a very good mix for this live set)
  2. Lemon Jelly - '64-'95 (DTS 5.1) (Like the Superfurry Animals discs, this is an actual album accompanied by animations. Discrete 5.1, and downtempo electronica. Never listened to it myself but will check it out.)
  3. Richard Clapton - Up and Down the Glory Road (Live DVD, DTS) (Recommended by HomerJAU for its mix)
  4. Super Furry Animals - "Phantom Power" and "Rings around the World" (2003 and 2002, DTS) (These are albums accompanied by video/animation content. Very good, discrete 5.1 mixes. As Elmer wrote, "Welsh, psych/power/pop".)
  5. The Offspring - Greatest Hits (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (This was actually only available on audio 5.1 DualDisc. People say it sucks.)

As for Björk, which DVDs are available, and how do they differ from her 5.1 album releases? (I haven't dug into her catalog at all, but am aware that some or all of her albums are available in 5.1)

Helloween has TRUE 5.1 mixes but the sound quality is all over the place. Poor mastering on some tracks(poor tapes) but still worth buying.

Dru Hill has true 5.1 mixes but the rears are way too low. You will have to turn up about +2.5db louder than usual. Less bass than expected but sounds good overall once adjusted.

Sade has real true 5.1 mixes but they are a mixed bag. Some tracks have hardly anything in rears at all. Overall a tame job but EXCELLENT mastering! Sounds better than any CD compilation. Nice and clear with no harshness when cranked right up.

Helloween has TRUE 5.1 mixes but the sound quality is all over the place. Poor mastering on some tracks(poor tapes) but still worth buying.

Dru Hill has true 5.1 mixes but the rears are way too low. You will have to turn up about +2.5db louder than usual. Less bass than expected but sounds good overall once adjusted.

Sade has real true 5.1 mixes but they are a mixed bag. Some tracks have hardly anything in rears at all. Overall a tame job but EXCELLENT mastering! Sounds better than any CD compilation. Nice and clear with no harshness when cranked right up.

I totally agree about Sade. Such great sound quality! I wish it included Jezebel. Then it would be all the Sade I need.

Can't edit my post anymore, unfortunately.

Hey All,

Those who enjoy the Grateful Dead will love the Sunshine Daydream mix. It is addressed a little in this thread, but there is more to say.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ine-daydream-bd-dvd-5-1-mix.18066/post-188206
This show is legendary in the Grateful Dead live cannon, so to have some of it (just the video portion, not the whole show) mixed to surround is a real treat. Some may recall that I am not a fan of audience/ambiance mixes, and this cannot be accused of that. Despite what this previous thread says, I found the mix to be excellent, and particularly the piano seems to come from over the right shoulder in a way that opens the mix alot. I really enjoy and recommend this mix!

Another one to check is Ambra - Honour & Glory. Good mix with trippy visuals, which I found through some other thread hereabouts.

Ken

Last edited:
Here's one more:
Trapeze - The Collection (DTS, Dolby 5.1, Stereo)
I'm a bit confused about this one. The cover says "Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - Trapeze - the collection on dvd". So I'm not sure what's the name of the band. Is it Trapeze or is it Tom Cochrane & Red Rider? Anyway, the music is a cross between Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen. Very enjoyable imo. The surround mix is by Richard Chycki and is really discrete. There's a lot happening in the rears. Can't be compared to the somewhat underwhelming Rush mixes.

Trapeze is the name of the collection. Lunatic Fringe was an MTV hit for Tim Cochran.

The hit, "Lunatic Fringe" was on Red Rider's 2nd album, "As Far as Siam" released in 1981, and Tom Cochran's solo career began in 1991 with the hit of "Life Is A Highway" from the album "Mad Mad World". Songs from both Red Rider and Tom Cochran's solo career are on the collection "Trapeze". The mix on the DVD-A is very good and a must have for any classic rock completist.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...om-amp-Red-Rider-TRAPEZE-THE-COLLECTION-DVD-A

7.INXS - I'm Only Looking - The Essential INXS (Dolby 2.0, 5.1; DTS) (great one. Get the 2-disc version - every last bit on here is in discrete DTS and it's all cool.)

This disc finally arrived. Haven't listened to it yet on my main system (5.1), just ripped to me media player. I noticed DVD Audio Extractor says "DTS 5.0". I then played in Foobar and it shows its DTS 4.0 (nothing in FC and SW). Then tested the AC3 track. Same 4.0, no front centre and subwoofer info. Clearly states on cover "Digitally Remixed and Mastered in 5.1 Surround Sound".

Anyone confirm this?

Apologies if they have been mentioned before but what about these:

Weird Al Yankovic: The Ultimate Video Collection
291330640.jpg

Barenaked Ladies - MUSIC DVD
280429700.jpg

Apologies if they have been mentioned before but what about these:

Weird Al Yankovic: The Ultimate Video Collection
291330640.jpg

What's the copyright date on that Weird Al? I have the DVD of all his video's released by Image Entertainment, but I don't believe it has a 5.1 track - it's LPCM stereo. I can't recall for sure if it has 5.1 or not and I'm away from home now so can't check - I think I'd remember if it did though. Is the 5.1 on the DVD you posted a true 5.1 mix or an "unwrap"?

What's the copyright date on that Weird Al? I have the DVD of all his video's released by Image Entertainment, but I don't believe it has a 5.1 track - it's LPCM stereo. I can't recall for sure if it has 5.1 or not and I'm away from home now so can't check - I think I'd remember if it did though. Is the 5.1 on the DVD you posted a true 5.1 mix or an "unwrap"?

Don't know about the copyright , but the listing I saw says this:

"This DVD represents everything the format can offer in a music video. It has all of Al's videos, with stereo surround and 5.1 tracks, plus some extra clips from Al's Saturday morning cartoon show and his 1981 TV debut on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show. The videos are presented in random order; you can really see that Al's 80's videos hold up quite well in comparison to his 90's videos. Here's the track listing: "

The description could be wrong of course.

Don't know about the copyright , but the listing I saw says this:

"This DVD represents everything the format can offer in a music video. It has all of Al's videos, with stereo surround and 5.1 tracks, plus some extra clips from Al's Saturday morning cartoon show and his 1981 TV debut on Tom Snyder's Tomorrow Show. The videos are presented in random order; you can really see that Al's 80's videos hold up quite well in comparison to his 90's videos. Here's the track listing: "

The description could be wrong of course.

Mine does not have the extras - it's just the videos.

Aweeeeeeeeesome Posts and more money spent - Thank You all :banana:

I should add the two Moby DVDs to this thread:

"Play" currently goes for 34 cents used at Amazon.com.

Both have Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and I can say for sure that the sound on the "Play" DVD is strong and the mix is nice, though could have been better. Definitely worth the purchase though, if only for the material alone: 10 videos (3 are duplicates, same songs different videos), a really cool live performance (and very good mix there, especially for a live gig), and a 90-minute megamix set to animations. I wrote some more on the DVD here.

I currently only have copies of the "18" DVD's audio-only tracks: numerous outtakes and b-sides encoded in Dolby Digital, and another 1-hour megamix. They sound a bit muffled, but the mix is fantastic and the music really beautiful. The outtakes are all very mellow, laid-back electro/chillout/lounge type, and all very enjoyable except for the last track, which is 15 minutes of wobbling synths. Skip. The megamix is awesome. But again, muffled-sounding.

I should get the real "18" DVD in the mail soon and will then report back on whether the copies I have are bad rips or something. Either way, in addition to the audio-only material, there's only a 1.5-hour live gig on this disc and more music videos, bringing the total play time up to over 5 hours!

Also available cheap for used. I think they're no-brainers.

Whoa guys this thread should be stickied.

[UPDATED OCT 31]​

So now we have the following real or very good 5.1 (alphabetical, with my notes in red):

1. Big Country - The Ultimate Collection (DTS 5.1) (Very good DVD according to depeche76, discrete surround)
  2. Billy Joel - The Ultimate Collection (Dolby 5.1, LPCM stereo) (some real 5.1, some fake. People seem to like this one. I don't like it at all. PM me and I'll send you my copy, you only pay shipping)
  3. Cher - The Very Best of Cher - The Video Hits Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2004) (as mentioned in this thread, true 5.1 and overall pretty well done! The late-90s songs have better mixes, the 80s/early 90s stuff is a bit hit-and-miss. It's incomplete (e.g. "I got you Babe" and "Love and Understanding" are missing, but a great companion to her 1999 "If I Could Turn Back Time" Greatest Hits CD.)
  4. Dru Hill - Hits - The Videos (DTS 5.1) (is this the right disc? how is this disc?)
  5. Enya - The Very Best Of (PCM stereo, Dolby 5.1, DTS) (incomplete collection, boring mixes, good sound. Don't bother if you ask me)
  6. Helloween - Hellish Videos - The Complete Video Collection (looks like DD 5.1. Comments?)
  7. INXS - I'm Only Looking - The Essential INXS (Dolby 2.0, 5.1; DTS) (great one. Get the 2-disc version - every last bit on here is in discrete DTS and it's all cool.)
  8. Janet Jackson - From Janet. to Damita Jo - The Videos (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2004) (excellent mixes and sound. Real keeper!)
  9. Jennifer Lopez - The Reel Me (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2003) (ooh this sounds interesting!)
  10. John Lennon - Lennon Legend - the very best of John Lennon (LPCM stereo, dts 5.1, dolby 5.1) (great one)
  11. Metallica - The Videos 1989-2004 (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (pretty good mixes, but thin sound)
  12. Mötley Crüe - Greatest Video Hits (2003, Dolby Digital 5.1) (as mentioned in this thread, true 5.1. Sound quality is on the thin side, but the mixes are apparently really good and it's a very well-compiled set, with lots of rarities thrown in.)
  13. Michael Jackson - History Vol. I (DD or DTS?) (always on the fence about this, cos his videos are short movies so you can't really put them into the player, turn off the screen and just enjoy the 5.1 music. Plus, like you guys said, not all here is 5.1)
  14. Paul McCartney - The McCartney Years (DTS 5.1) (great one)
  15. Paul Weller - Modern Classics on Film (90-01) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (2 discs with over 4 hours of footage: live concerts as well as all his solo promo clips. Good mixing, but could have been better.)
  16. Peter Gabriel - "Play The Videos" (DTS 96/24, 2004) (nothing short of fantastic. the first pressing has a bug on the DTS track that causes it to play at incredibly low volume. Fixed version first released in Europe. It's also out there as a torrent and now available bundled with the "Live in Athens" Blu Ray)
  17. Queen's Greatest Video Hits 1 and 2 (DTS 96/24, 2002 and 2003) (amazing discs)
  18. R.E.M. - In View (The Best of R.E.M 1988-2003) (DTS, Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) (All songs also available on the "In Time" DVD-A. The surround mix is really good, nothing spectacular, but very listenable.)
  19. Robert Plant - Nine Lives (Box Set) (Bonus dvd, dolby 2.0, 5.1, dts: documentary and 20 promo clips in stereo & 5.1)
  20. Run DMC - (found "Together Forever" (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2000) and "Ultimate Run DMC" (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2003). Which one do you recommend? How are they?)
  21. Sade - Life Promise Pride Love (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (pretty sure all music is upmixed from 2.0, but nicely done. Sounds in the videos are in true 5.1 (e.g. city ambience, or the chase at the end of Smooth Operator). Love the disc.)
  22. Shawn Colvin - Polaroids - Video Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1) (recommended disc according to uffeolby, especially for the Unplugged portion! All discrete 5.1.)
  23. Tea Party - Illuminations - The Tea Party Collection (DTS, Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) (this is the TITS)
  24. The Flaming Lips - VOID (Video Overview in Deceleration) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (Fun but brittle in DD)
  25. Twisted Sister - The Video Years (Dolby 5.1) (is this the right disc? how is this disc?)

And we have identified the following as fake 5.1:

1. B-52s - Time Capsule (CD+DVD Edition) (Dolby Digital?) (lousy echo-in-the-rears 5.1)
  2. Bruce Springsteen - The Complete Video Anthology 1978-2000 (Dolby Digital 5.1) (lousy echo-in-the-rears 5.1)
  3. Cyndi Lauper - 12 Deadly Cyns... And Then Some (Dolby Digital 5.1) (This is very likely an upmix, sounds a bit thin too. But they did what they could with it and you do get a 5.1 experience, albeit a flawed one if you ask me. Might be worth a spin. More info here.)
  4. Lionel Richie - The Lionel Richie Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2003) (See here)
  5. Meat Loaf - Hits out of Hell (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2000)
  6. New Order - A Collection (Dolby 5.1, LPCM stereo) (another fake 5.1 disc to stay away from.)
  7. Sugababes - Overloaded - The Singles Collection (DTS 5.1!) (most likely upmix. Adam will confirm.)
  8. Take That - Never Forget - The Ultimate Collection (Dolby Digital 5.1, 2006) (gave it a spin. Stereo with reverb.)
  9. The Cure - Greatest Hits (Dolby 5.1 & 2.0) (Unwrapped from 2.0. Bad.)
  10. Tori Amos - Video Collection: Fade to Red (fake, sounds bad.)
  11. Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits (2000) (Dolby Digital 5.1) (Forget it. Stereo with reverb. Shame. More here.)

And other titles mentioned, though not really "promo clip collections" in the classic MTV sense:

1. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - No Quarter - Unledded (DTS, live) (apparently a very good mix for this live set)
  2. Lemon Jelly - '64-'95 (DTS 5.1) (Like the Superfurry Animals discs, this is an actual album accompanied by animations. Discrete 5.1, and downtempo electronica. Never listened to it myself but will check it out.)
  3. Richard Clapton - Up and Down the Glory Road (Live DVD, DTS) (Recommended by HomerJAU for its mix)
  4. Super Furry Animals - "Phantom Power" and "Rings around the World" (2003 and 2002, DTS) (These are albums accompanied by video/animation content. Very good, discrete 5.1 mixes. As Elmer wrote, "Welsh, psych/power/pop".)
  5. The Offspring - Greatest Hits (Dolby 5.1, PCM stereo) (This was actually only available on audio 5.1 DualDisc. People say it sucks.)

As for Björk, which DVDs are available, and how do they differ from her 5.1 album releases? (I haven't dug into her catalog at all, but am aware that some or all of her albums are available in 5.1)

I just want to point out to the membership here that this is a great list (for those that are not Dolby averse) - a nice way to expand you surround library and as many of these titles are available in "very good" and "like new" used condition via Amazon, a very cost effective one was as well. I recently acquired a few titles (that I otherwise would not have, if not for this list);

INXS
Janet Jackson
Paul Weller
Shawn Colvin

The descriptions on the list are spot on - great additions to my library. Thanks to Bright Side et al for the heads up!

I have ordered the Super Furry Animals and John Lennon.
I'm thinking about the Big Country and INXS ones, which are the ones to order and if someone has link that would be great.
For the Big Country it looks like the PAL version has 2 more songs on it then the NTSC if I have information correct. Can anyone confirm that and if its worth going for the PAL for the extra songs?

Hey Peter, my list includes links. :) However, no idea about Big Country.

I have no idea about the differences between the versions, but I wasn't super impressed with the Big Country..

I'll have another listen & report back.

Back