VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I think the "I'm only Looking" DVD is awesome. Perhaps not the most active mix I have in my collection, but great sound quality and definitely solid surround. Plus, the content of that 2-DVD set is ridiculous. Hours and hours.

FWIW, I think the "I'm only Looking" DVD is awesome. Perhaps not the most active mix I have in my collection, but great sound quality and definitely solid surround. Plus, the content of that 2-DVD set is ridiculous. Hours and hours.

Thanks for the tip on this one as well! Great band. Love their music. There certainly is a lot of music to look forward to. :music

Tried teh Tears For Fears "Tears Roll Down" DVD today. Expected nothing, got nothing. The "5.1" is stereo with very faint, barely audible echo in the remaining channels. I don't think anybody here was planning on buying it, but here we go for prosperity...

image.jpgimage.jpg

I am not sure if the Bauhaus - Shadow of Light/Archive DVDV has already been discussed here. Anyway, I am a huge fan of this music. The sound isn't that great. But, the video collections and live 82' performances were taken when the band was at its peak. The DD 5.1 surround mix is basically an upmix. It's not a discrete mix. There is mostly music in the rears. I don't hear any audience. And the vocals aren't always properly recorded, for example Peter Murphy's voice fades in and out a little on Bela Lugosi's Dead. However... even with these limitations & flaws, I still feel this is a must for any fan of Bauhaus. If anyone knows of other (better) 5.1 mixes of Bauhaus, I'd love to hear about them.

For anyone interested here are 2 more in-depth reviews...
http://www.punkvinyl.com/2005/12/07/bauhaus-shadow-of-lightarchive-dvd/

This one is a little more critical.
http://www.popmatters.com/review/bauhaus-shadowdvd/

I'm really curious about these two dvd's. I'd pretty much guess the 5.1 is an upmix or reverb, since all of the songs are older. I saw it for $7 but still felt I would be wildly disappointed, as I have been so many times before.

41AC8R9XZHL.jpg

LOVE SONGS DVD PART 1

518MRCBTWCL.jpg
LOVE SONGS DVD PART 2

The packaging say 5.1 + Stereo, so I'm really curious.

That looks quite interesting indeed! Nice find. Never heard of them... Will look around!

EDIT: I see they're available for as little as 1.98 used (or 0.01 used for the second one). I'm located in Canada, so unfortunately, over here, you can only get them for about 45 bucks imported. Perhaps worth a shot for any of our US members at just 1 cent?

That looks quite interesting indeed! Nice find. Never heard of them... Will look around!

EDIT: I see they're available for as little as 1.98 used (or 0.01 used for the second one). I'm located in Canada, so unfortunately, over here, you can only get them for about 45 bucks imported. Perhaps worth a shot for any of our US members at just 1 cent?

True, I guess i can fork out 3 whole dollars... I just bought them both. I almost got the SADE video collection, but after reading your review, I decided not too. Its sounds great if you are interested in the videos, but I'm mostly interested in the 5.1 Mix. Thanks for that review!

My pleasure!

The Sade disc is still very enjoyable even without the videos. Most of the time, I only listen to the 5.1. I like both the sound quality and the mix, all things considered. I still have a hard time deciding whether it's an upmix or real 5.1 (somebody here said it's definitely real 5.1 and there are some elements that highly suggest it).

The "film" sound effects in "Smooth Operator" are definitely 5.1, but they also ruin it as an audio-only experience. Either way, the whole DVD is effective enough considering it can be had cheap. Feel free to reconsider :)

Thanks for taking a chance on the "Love Songs" DVDs! Looking forward to your review.

True, I guess i can fork out 3 whole dollars... I just bought them both. I almost got the SADE video collection, but after reading your review, I decided not too. Its sounds great if you are interested in the videos, but I'm mostly interested in the 5.1 Mix. Thanks for that review!

Well let us know how they are pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase :)

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase :)

Of course! Also, searched everywhere in this forum for info about this other dvd video collection I saw, couldn't find anything, bought it and it sucks.

Add this to your list of poor 5.1. I won't go as far to say fake or full stereo upmix, but it is bad.

Jennifer Lopez - Feelin' So Good

41AD39A10QL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Jennifer-Lopez-Feelin-So-Good/dp/B00004Z4T0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1436580895&sr=8-8&keywords=jennifer+lopez+dvd&pebp=1436580903286&perid=0NFM5H93E36SXZT3GV25

Interesting that amazon says stereo audio but the packaging clearly states 5.1. Very little separation in the channels, reverb, and thats it. I will say, though, oddly enough, that "No me Ames" is in pretty decent 5.1, with the lead vocals isolated in the center and elements in the rear. I thought that was weird cuase that song sucks...haha. It was the only song I didn't know on the dvd.

Here is a screen cap of the sound waves (center on top, front r + l in center, rear r+ L on bottom). I feel like this will help show the difference.

NO ME AMES:
5.1AudioScreenCaps_No Me Ames.jpg

Compared to this really flat sounding track,
IF YOU HAD MY LOVE:
5.1AudioScreenCaps_If You Had My Love.jpg

dvd-jennifer-lopez-feelin-so-good-japons-colecionador-12665-MLB20063432358_032014-F.jpg

As for Björk, which DVDs are available, and how do they differ from her 5.1 album releases? (I haven't dug into her catalog at all, but am aware that some or all of her albums are available in 5.1).

If you need someone to review these, I have literally every single dvd she has ever released. Ever.

I just ordered DVDs of Lennon Legend, Queen Greatest Video hits 1 & 2, and Big Country based on info from this thread. If anyone's interested, I'll comment on the Big Country mix once it comes in (one of my favorite bands from the eighties!)

Can anyone comment on the mix for Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous" DVD- its listed as DTS 5.1 on the back of the package. Discrete or typical "audience in the rears" concert mix?

I just ordered DVDs of Lennon Legend, Queen Greatest Video hits 1 & 2, and Big Country based on info from this thread. If anyone's interested, I'll comment on the Big Country mix once it comes in (one of my favorite bands from the eighties!)

Think you will love the Queen greatest hits and the John Lennon dvds :banana: .............have no idea about the Big Country

I didn't know Big Country had a DVD out let alone one with 5.1, a really good band, and I've seen the latest incarnation of them and they're still really good!

Back