Full Surround Album Download by Member blue.monk

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue.monk

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Greetings fellow surround enthusiasts! I wish to make available to those interested a discrete 5.0 mix of an original CD I released last year. It is instrumental and contains a variety of styles including progressive rock, jazz, funk and reggae. Individual flac files may be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/es8z445zlixjd6g/AABUtypK0fq6190jhBRebnVXa

and lo-fi samples of each piece may be found here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ericbaumgartner

Thanks folks! I appreciate your time and hope you enjoy what you hear.

From CD Baby:
"Recommended if You Like:
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Herbie Hancock"

(y)

I've played these for a while now and my conclusion is:

Everybody on this forum should enjoy this wonderful music!

Many of us here are "closet musicians", well... BluMonk has proved that he and his mates are "actual musicians".

This was a wonderful surprise and I am still enjoying it.

Score:

100 Lupins out of a possible 100 Lupins.

Haven't heard it all yet but so far I like what I hear a LOT! More jazz than prog but that's fine with me. A definite Steely Dan influence here - not surprising since the players are also in a Steely Dan tribute band. Highly recommended!

A lot to like in the music here! That, and the surround mix are enough to draw me in for some repeated listening.
We listened to it over dinner, smiling and laughing.:)

Well I downloaded a while ago transferred to a Memory stick the forgot about it until tidying my study.

What a great album and very nice 5.0 mix.

what next ?

Hi Eric/blue-monk!!!
You are a GREAT musician!!! As a fellow musician (Bass, Stick , Gtr, Drums and some keys -not at you level , though) I really appreciate you sharing it with us...
(I'm still working on my DVD-A which hopefully will be released within the next year!!!)

Love your stuff...unfortunately , I can't play the MCh FLAC files cause I got a MAC...
Have you released this on a MCH DVD-V/A???

Cheers!!!!

Hi Eric/blue-monk!!!
You are a GREAT musician!!! As a fellow musician (Bass, Stick , Gtr, Drums and some keys -not at you level , though) I really appreciate you sharing it with us...
(I'm still working on my DVD-A which hopefully will be released within the next year!!!)

Love your stuff...unfortunately , I can't play the MCh FLAC files cause I got a MAC...
Have you released this on a MCH DVD-V/A???

Cheers!!!!

Thanks kap'n! My roommate in college had a Chapman Stick. What a cool instrument. I got to the point where I could do a reasonable job with the Elephant Talk intro!

I appreciate the kind words. I'll look into creating and posting an ISO image of the MCH album. I believe that could then be burned to DVD.

Cheers!

Thanks kap'n! My roommate in college had a Chapman Stick. What a cool instrument. I got to the point where I could do a reasonable job with the Elephant Talk intro!

I appreciate the kind words. I'll look into creating and posting an ISO image of the MCH album. I believe that could then be burned to DVD.

Cheers!

"Elephant Talk" is quite easy, although you have to tune the 10th string (the 5th on the bass side, which is the uppermost one) half a note down to play it like Tony does....his most difficult stuff is "Waiting Man" (especially at the end where he does back vox while playing both sides of the Stick!!!)

But , IMO , the Stick/Warr gtr Hero is Trey Gunn...his playing is unbelievable...I remember him playing in the 2000 gig in Madrid (I was in first row in front of him ,as in the 2003 one) where they were playing LTIA pt IV (I think, anyway, it was really complicated stuff) and all of a sudden he turns his head to Pat and STARTS A CONVERSATION!!!!! of course he kept on playing like nothing was happening.....I almost quit playing after that, but I can play the stuff he plays, although it'd take me a bit more time to talk and play that complicated music at the same time.....

Cheers!

Like Greg Lake chewing gum and singing during Pictures At an Exhibition or Karn Evil 9. John Wetton singing in 4/4 against the bass in 3/4 (not certain) was his difficult moment. Robert Fripp referenced the sheer force of will and constructive abandon of Jimi Hendrix, commenting "the rest of us have to work very hard" or something to that effect.

I now have the 5.0 downloaded and hope to hear it before this holiday is but a memory.

"Elephant Talk" is quite easy, although you have to tune the 10th string (the 5th on the bass side, which is the uppermost one) half a note down to play it like Tony does

Exactly! That's the secret. A very effective start to the LP, don't you think?

But , IMO , the Stick/Warr gtr Hero is Trey Gunn...his playing is unbelievable...I remember him playing in the 2000 gig in Madrid (I was in first row in front of him ,as in the 2003 one) where they were playing LTIA pt IV (I think, anyway, it was really complicated stuff) and all of a sudden he turns his head to Pat and STARTS A CONVERSATION!!!!! of course he kept on playing like nothing was happening.....I almost quit playing after that, but I can play the stuff he plays, although it'd take me a bit more time to talk and play that complicated music at the same time.....

Oh my. Yeah, Trey's a monster. I've only seen him live on the Thrak (double trio) tour. Great show.

Like Greg Lake chewing gum and singing during Pictures At an Exhibition or Karn Evil 9. John Wetton singing in 4/4 against the bass in 3/4 (not certain) was his difficult moment. Robert Fripp referenced the sheer force of will and constructive abandon of Jimi Hendrix, commenting "the rest of us have to work very hard" or something to that effect.

Years ago I attended a clinic by Adrian Belew. Someone asked him if he's thinking/counting in 13/8 (or whatever) during the complex contrapuntal bits with Fripp. He said he never thinks about that but rather just plays the figures while locked into and rocking back and forth to a 4/4 groove. You can see this technique in use in many live videos!

I now have the 5.0 downloaded and hope to hear it before this holiday is but a memory.

Many thanks, tim! I hope you enjoy it.

Back