What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran across this one in a music store for 10 bucks and just went for it. Glad I did. Yes, beautiful music! I agree the sound is a little loud and the surround mix could be a little more discrete. But, when it sounds this good, who cares, right! :D

You didn't have to take a chance.. ;) ..it's been mentioned here before (and Elis Regina's "Falso Brilhante" DVD-A that's also in 5.1 which is quite different but also well worth checking out) by a few QQ-ers.. but a lot of this more unusual/obscure surround stuff (that I LOVE!) gets lost among the more mainstream releases (of which there are more than in many preceding years.. which is of course a very good thing.. though these under the radar discs should get more attention imho) hopefully by your mentioning it again now it might encourage some of our members to grab a copy before it disappears altogether! :)

Pixelated Pulse - Sound In Color (DVD-Audio).

image.jpg

You didn't have to take a chance.. ;) ..it's been mentioned here before (and Elis Regina's "Falso Brilhante" DVD-A that's also in 5.1 which is quite different but also well worth checking out) by a few QQ-ers.. but a lot of this more unusual/obscure surround stuff (that I LOVE!) gets lost among the more mainstream releases (of which there are more than in many preceding years.. which is of course a very good thing.. though these under the radar discs should get more attention imho) hopefully by your mentioning it again now it might encourage some of our members to grab a copy before it disappears altogether! :)

I tried to do a quick search, but nothing meaningful turned up. I am sure Elis & Tom has been mentioned here. But it looks like I need to sharpen up my cyber skills. Anyway, it's inevitable that some things get overlooked. That's one reason this forum is so important for me. So many eyes & ears are gonna find even the most obscure, offbeat recordings out there. And it is wonderful to be able to share it all with everyone here.

And Elis has another 5.1 DVD-A!? Well, there you go... Thanks for the tip! Keep 'em coming.

I tried to do a quick search, but nothing meaningful turned up. I am sure Elis & Tom has been mentioned here. But it looks like I need to sharpen up my cyber skills. Anyway, it's inevitable that some things get overlooked. That's one reason this forum is so important for me. So many eyes & ears are gonna find even the most obscure, offbeat recordings out there. And it is wonderful to be able to share it all with everyone here.

And Elis has another 5.1 DVD-A!? Well, there you go... Thanks for the tip! Keep 'em coming.

Falso Brilhante CD+DVD-Audio:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falso-Brilhante-DVD-Elis-Regina/dp/B000Y9MTCE

View attachment 19290

Finally, picked up this one as well.

I have that one...but I would suggest that you pick up a used copy of THIS...the song list is different than the DVD-A..and better IMO...you get PEG and JOSIE from Aja in surround...something that is never going to happen(the Aja album in surround)...plus you get the classics like FM and KID CHARLEMAGNE..and the music was mixed by Elliot Scheiner...it is a DVD and the picture is crappy...and you have to skip between each song to avoid useless conversations..but I treat it as an audio disc and don't watch it and I don't mind hitting the "next" button to go to the next chapter...and what little crowd noise there is never interferes with the music ...here is another source...this was released in 2000 and Donald Fagen's voice was in pretty good shape and they had some talented background vocal singers..

I ran across this one in a music store for 10 bucks and just went for it. Glad I did. Yes, beautiful music! I agree the sound is a little loud and the surround mix could be a little more discrete. But, when it sounds this good, who cares, right! :D

Lute - I've read that CD sales remain (relatively) healthy in Japan and that stores such as Tower are doing well. Does this jibe with your own experience? If so, are you happy with the selection you find at brick and mortar stores? A section or two devoted to SHM-SACDs, perhaps? :)

I have that one...but I would suggest that you pick up a used copy of THIS...the song list is different than the DVD-A..and better IMO...you get PEG and JOSIE from Aja in surround...something that is never going to happen(the Aja album in surround)...plus you get the classics like FM and KID CHARLEMAGNE..and the music was mixed by Elliot Scheiner...it is a DVD and the picture is crappy...and you have to skip between each song to avoid useless conversations..but I treat it as an audio disc and don't watch it and I don't mind hitting the "next" button to go to the next chapter...and what little crowd noise there is never interferes with the music ...here is another source...this was released in 2000 and Donald Fagen's voice was in pretty good shape and they had some talented background vocal singers..

WOW. Thanks for the review, Clint! I was reading that there were 2 versions. Your post helps clear it all up. I've definitely gotta have FM, Peg, Josie, and Kid Charlemagne in surround. I'm not too worried about the picture quality. I tend to just listen to the music anyway.

The search goes on! Can't wait! :spot

Lute - I've read that CD sales remain (relatively) healthy in Japan and that stores such as Tower are doing well. Does this jibe with your own experience? If so, are you happy with the selection you find at brick and mortar stores? A section or two devoted to SHM-SACDs, perhaps? :)

Compared to the Heydays of the 1980s and 90s, music on physical media has taken a hit even here in Tokyo. HMV, Virgin Records , and Ishimaru used to have several superstores here. Now HMV has only a few small shops with only popular hit music...although I heard they recently opened a vinyl shop.

Tower Records still has some good music shops in Tokyo. There are 2 Tower superstores near Shinjuku and Shibuya stations...and several smaller branches around town. Sales probably aren't as robust as they would like, but they are still doing a respectable business. They have lots of events and small concerts, which helps attract people. The Shibuya store also has a bookstore and cafe. They carry lots of SACDs (both Hybrid and SHM-SACDs) and Bluray Audio discs.

Diskunion is the other superstar in the realm of physical media music in Japan. They mostly have used CDs, LPs, and even books. But, they also carry some new releases. Most SHM-SACDs and Esoteric brand releases are sold there on the first day. They also sell new releases by AF, AP, MoFi, etc... That's where I got AF's Bread, Earth Wind & Fire, LaBelle, etc... I have to go back and pick up Billy Joel. I'll probably get it when the Best of the Doors comes out. Several Bluray Audio and DVD Audio discs are available. I got XTC's recent Blurays and ELP's Trilogy there. And... I can occasionally find used SACDs, DVDAs, BDAs, etc... Some are cheap, but the Japanese versions with the Obi cost a pretty penny over here.

Outside Japan,

I've heard there is an excellent music store in Munich, Germany... called Ludwig Beck.

I also heard that Singapore and Hong Kong have some decent music stores.

....Diskunion is the other superstar in the realm of physical media music in Japan. They mostly have used CDs, LPs, and even books. But, they also carry some new releases. Most SHM-SACDs and Esoteric brand releases are sold there on the first day. They also sell new releases by AF, AP, MoFi, etc... That's where I got AF's Bread, Earth Wind & Fire, LaBelle, etc... I have to go back and pick up Billy Joel. I'll probably get it when the Best of the Doors comes out. Several Bluray Audio and DVD Audio discs are available. I got XTC's recent Blurays and ELP's Trilogy there. And... I can occasionally find used SACDs, DVDAs, BDAs, etc...
Wow. We have no stores like that in the entire country of USA. We can't even buy AF SACDs here in UT, and probably just about no place else either. SHM SACDs ... no way. Esoteric not a chance.

Wow. We have no stores like that in the entire country of USA. We can't even buy AF SACDs here in UT, and probably just about no place else either. SHM SACDs ... no way. Esoteric not a chance.

Not unless you pay a visit in person to Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc or Music Direct. Or visit their booths at one of the audio shows - like The Show Newport or Rocky Mountain Audio Fest where many SACDs and even SHM-SACDs are on display and for sale in the USA. :)

This one showed up today.

Attachments

• doors_disks_pge_booket.jpg
    doors_disks_pge_booket.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 235
  • doors_front_booklet.jpg
    doors_front_booklet.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 230
  • doors_front_case.jpg
    doors_front_case.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 227
Back