"All Things Must Pass" - Rise/Fall of Tower Records!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Just heard about this documentary:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3272570

https://www.facebook.com/towerrecordsdoc

Sounds like it's right up my alley. When I used to work for a company based in LA back in the '80s, I used to fly out there many times a year, and every time I would get my rental car at LAX and head right to Tower Records on the strip. So cool! Quad was over, but the music was still there. LP's stacked on the floor. Nothing like it.

I wonder when this will be out for viewing? Theater or Netflix/Hulu, etc.

ATMP Movie Poster.jpg

I'm still not over Tower's demise, nor Korvettes either, for that matter. On my business trips and vacations, I was sure to stop at Tower, especially 4th & Broadway in Manhattan, the largest volume record outlet in the US. In the '90's, Tower came to Chicago and I was there every week. When Rose Records exited Chicago, Tower took over their flagship store. All four Chicago area Towers were huge stores, unlike some of the locations I visited like Trump Tower Tower or the original first Las Vegas location near UNLV.

When they closed, I lived a couple miles from their Schaumburg, IL location, which was across the street from Woodfield, our 300-store mega-mall. An REI store is in their space today.

Tower Schaumburg:
72124703.jpg
2938545.jpg
4912354.JPG
74b4980d-74d1-405b-8af4-25893f3c73cc_d.jpg

More of my SACD's & DVD-A's came from there than anywhere else. RIP

An REI store is in their space today.

At least two of the Sacramento Tower locations (the ancient 16th & Broadway store and Sunrise) are still record stores. They're part of the local Dimple Records chain. Their flagship Watt Avenue store is now (I think) a thrift store.

Back