New Neil Young High Resolution 5.1 mixes for Human Highway and Rust Never Sleeps

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeler98

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Description

Pre-order Human Highway DVD and Rust Never Sleeps DVD.

Human Highway
Co-written, co-directed, and starring Neil Young
Rebuilt director's cut edit from original sources
Sound rebuilt and restored from original sources
5.1 high resolution surround mix

Rust Never Sleeps
The full-length concert film from Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s 1978 tour
Featuring the legendary hits “Cinnamon Girl,” “Like a Hurricane,”
And the acoustic and electric versions of “Hey Hey, My My”
Picture restored from original film negative
New 5.1 high resolution surround mix

http://store.warnermusic.ca/products/human-highway-rust-never-sleeps-dvd-bundle?variant=16286628038

Something about this just doesn't add up.
You can't have high-resolution surround unless it's DVD-A/V or Blu-Ray, and these new releases appear to be DVD-V, so there won't be anything high-res about the surround at all.

You can't have high-resolution surround unless it's DVD-A/V or Blu-Ray, and these new releases appear to be DVD-V, so there won't be anything high-res about the surround at all.

DTS 24/96 is considered hi-res by many.

Absolutely correct, RT. Chesky Records did release a few Concert DVDs with PCM Hi Res Stereo 96/24 soundtracks in DVD style Amaray cases (i.e.Chuck Mangione, Sara K., Rebecca Pidgeon) but the 'limitation' of the format precluded them from being MLP 5.1. What I do recall is that the video portion accompanying these hi res audio transfers was pretty dreadful. The series was short~lived as Chesky transitioned to SACD 5.1.

Way OFF topic: someone just loaned me a DVD (bootleg?) of Tarentino's The Hateful Eight with DD 5.1 and I was flabbergasted at what I considered a damn nice picture [from 70mm elements?] and the Academy Award Winning Ennio Morricone score had that WOW:bounce17 factor! Can ONLY imagine what the official BD~V and especially 4K HD Video will look and sound like! The point: I have heard some amazing DTS and DD 5.1 soundtracks/music.....but when compared to MLP 5.1 or PCM 96/24 5.1......the hi res codec is USUALLY superior on every level.

Description

Pre-order Human Highway DVD and Rust Never Sleeps DVD.

Human Highway
Co-written, co-directed, and starring Neil Young
Rebuilt director's cut edit from original sources
Sound rebuilt and restored from original sources
5.1 high resolution surround mix

Rust Never Sleeps
The full-length concert film from Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s 1978 tour
Featuring the legendary hits “Cinnamon Girl,” “Like a Hurricane,”
And the acoustic and electric versions of “Hey Hey, My My”
Picture restored from original film negative
New 5.1 high resolution surround mix

http://store.warnermusic.ca/products/human-highway-rust-never-sleeps-dvd-bundle?variant=16286628038

Bittersweet news Wheeler....but in 2016 with all the restorative work they've done on these Neil Young classics, why not BD~V, especially considering Warner's Motion Picture Division has a solid reputation for releasing some of the most stunning hi def releases on the planet (especially their ARCHIVE division).

Absolutely correct, RT. Chesky Records did release a few Concert DVDs with PCM Hi Res Stereo 96/24 soundtracks in DVD style Amaray cases (i.e.Chuck Mangione, Sara K., Rebecca Pidgeon) but the 'limitation' of the format precluded them from being MLP 5.1. What I do recall is that the video portion accompanying these hi res audio transfers was pretty dreadful. The series was short~lived as Chesky transitioned to SACD 5.1.

Way OFF topic: someone just loaned me a DVD (bootleg?) of Tarentino's The Hateful Eight with DD 5.1 and I was flabbergasted at what I considered a damn nice picture [from 70mm elements?] and the Academy Award Winning Ennio Morricone score had that WOW:bounce17 factor! Can ONLY imagine what the official BD~V and especially 4K HD Video will look and sound like! The point: I have heard some amazing DTS and DD 5.1 soundtracks/music.....but when compared to MLP 5.1 or PCM 96/24 5.1......the hi res codec is USUALLY superior on every level.

I saw the roadshow 70MM version of The Hateful Eight and it looked fantastic. Cinematography should have won an Oscar. The movie was actually filmed in 65 and 70MM, not 35MM and then blown up to 70MM like almost all 70MM movies were back in the day. Glad Ennio Morricone won an Oscar. It's about time.

Rust Never Sleeps in 5.1 would and should be awesome

However, the way Neil has been dealing with surround since he bailed from his short lived championship of the DVD-A format leaves me cold. I am sure that this disc will be a disappointment - with regard to surround anyway. Love the music though.

Agreed, rust is a great album, it was an even greater tour, but the surround field will probably be abysmal. Every version I've ever heard has been what I call expanded mono. I am expecting surround treatment as on the " from the front row series".

Well, we shall hear in due course. RUST is one of the great concert movies, so let's hope for something better than we're expecting.

FWIW...interestingly, when the "Hey Hey My My" 45 from the RUST NEVER SLEEPS album was issued, the A-side was remixed to mono, excluding any audience sounds, if I remember right. This was 1979, and a commercial 45 with a mono side on it at all was very rare by that point (most DJ singles, though, continued to have mono/stereo sides).

ED :)

The Rust Never Sleeps Blu ray's audio is in 24/192 for both the stereo and 5.1 tracks btw.

I had Rust on laserdisc and it got played quite a lot.

I may have to get this on BDV, especially since my wife is a big Neil Young fan and I gave away all my LDs about 6 months ago.

Can a Bluray contain both HD Video and 192/24 5.1 audio? Not sure I've seen one yet. I know there were Pure Audio BDAs and others with a still video background image but with HD 'moving pictures'?

That link states dvd or blu-ray, Blu-ray July 01.:sun

I got my Rust Never Sleeps BD. Only $20 here in NZ from JB-Hifi:

1. Picture is alright considering the source. Probably the best it's ever looked. Having had some Super 8 family movies transferred to BD a few years ago, I quite like what can be done with old, small negatives.

2. Audio is 192kHz/24-bit DTS-MA 5.1. Fidelity is fine. Surround mix is pretty much crowd and echo. To be expected I guess.

3. Packaging is cardboard (straight to a plastic sleeve and filed in a shoe box with all the others). Disc rescued and is safe in a slim plastic case.

4. Menu is awesome and can be navigated to "queue-up" songs without interrupting what you're currently listening to. BD Audio releases would benefit from this common sense.

5. Overall, I enjoyed it. Good seeing Neil and the boys looking like young men (no pun intended). Them Jawas (sorry, "Road-Eyes") sure wasted some time though.

I got my Rust Never Sleeps BD. Only $20 here in NZ from JB-Hifi:

1. Picture is alright considering the source. Probably the best it's ever looked. Having had some Super 8 family movies transferred to BD a few years ago, I quite like what can be done with old, small negatives.

2. Audio is 192kHz/24-bit DTS-MA 5.1. Fidelity is fine. Surround mix is pretty much crowd and echo. To be expected I guess.

3. Packaging is cardboard (straight to a plastic sleeve and filed in a shoe box with all the others). Disc rescued and is safe in a slim plastic case.

4. Menu is awesome and can be navigated to "queue-up" songs without interrupting what you're currently listening to. BD Audio releases would benefit from this common sense.

5. Overall, I enjoyed it. Good seeing Neil and the boys looking like young men (no pun intended). Them Jawas (sorry, "Road-Eyes") sure wasted some time though.

$20 NZ for the BluRay !

The DVD is $28 at JB in AU ! WTF

I got a Santuary 2005 DVD edition of this Neil Young concert and I can't believe how terrible it sounds. Gotta be one of the worst sounding music DVDs I have heard. The CD of the concert is great but the DVD is atrocious.
Aparently the bluray is better.

Back