Rick Wakeman - journey May 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From the link above:

"Mastering was also at a pretty basic stage back in 1974 compare to now and the new mastering that has been done is quite magnificent and is chalk and cheese compared to the original which is such a giant step forward."

Let us hope for the best in their new mastering. I am not sure which I hope there is more of: chalk or cheese.

Nevertheless, this is a welcome release, and presumably the quad is from the master reels. Any verification of this?

I'm a little bit confused with this release, as I preordered a single CD plus DVD edition from Amazon with the same release date.
Does anybody know if this release is still valid and the content of the DVD will be the same?
At half price, I'd be happy to skip the big box with the two concerts and just keep the smaller edition with the quad

I'm a little bit confused with this release, as I preordered a single CD plus DVD edition from Amazon with the same release date.
Does anybody know if this release is still valid and the content of the DVD will be the same?
At half price, I'd be happy to skip the big box with the two concerts and just keep the smaller edition with the quad

Yes, still valid I believe. There's the box, £39.29 at Amazon UK, 3 cds plus dvd:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019QHEN46?refRID=FH38F94XVE81S8K4JX04&ref_=pd_ybh_a_3

Then the smaller, 1 cd plus dvd edition, currently £18.56 (but was only £12.99 when I pre-ordered it):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019JMC8C2?refRID=NJTBG2HV79QGMV9NQ0H9&ref_=pd_ybh_a_7

The dvd in both editions appears to be the same, so skip away!

I've seen not a single thing that suggests the quad mix is from the master reels, nor do I see any reason to think so. Even if Universal announced it as so, I don't believe a word they say after their obvious bogus claim about the six wives release. I'll probably buy it, but I'll need to hear it for myself before having any idea what's on it.

This is my favorite quad by Rick. Can't wait.

I was hoping this would be done in 5.1. Love the album, genius work, but I do not lie the quad mix.

Amazon US has Journey deluxe edition listed for pre order on April 15, as an import, but no other information . Did release date get moved up ? Or is this the wrong version ? I suppose when it is closer to release, they will hopefully add better info.

Amazon US has Journey deluxe edition listed for pre order on April 15, as an import, but no other information . Did release date get moved up ? Or is this the wrong version ? I suppose when it is closer to release, they will hopefully add better info.

Please give Link for Us Amerzon listing - Snood not see :(

I will be interested to hear an official modern release of the quad mix. When I play the CD-4 album, the rear channels (mainly the orchestra) are way too loud for my taste.

Amazon.com are usually behind amazon.co.uk and other European amazon sites when listing correct preorder dates and information for European imports.
AFAIK, the release date is definitely May 6th and not any earlier than that.

Please give Link for Us Amerzon listing - Snood not see :(

I am on my ps4, don't think i can add a link, and it is definitely hard to find on Amazon. Thankfully Otto put the link in.

I was a quality control tester of this disc as well as the others.

So... on a blog that shall remain nameless there is a review of the box set - which they received for free.. I will only say that, if you come across said review, there are some things you should be aware of with regard to the DVD-A/V disc in particular.

The review says there is no Dolby (not sure why anyone in 2016 would care but I digress). There is indeed Dolby on the DVD-V portion along with DTS 96/24 and LPCM stereo. On the DVD-A portion, there is MLP Quad 4.0 and MLP 2.0 stereo along with access to the DTS 96/24 and LPCM is you so desire. I must say that this disc (IMO - YMMV) sounds far and away the best of all three quads so far. The quad and stereo are mighty clean sounding and the quad, in particular, is nice and punchy on my system. I have not heard the rest of the box set at this point.

It also goes on to say that the authoring job is one of the worst that the reviewer has ever experienced. In my opinion, the authoring is pretty straight forward. No bells or whistles but no surprises either. And the screen slides and art on the disc looks beautiful.

I do not have any direct information on the sources as I do not have the box yet. The reviewer says that there really isn't any listed within the box either. I only know what I hear and I can honestly say I like it a lot and it will now be the disc I go to to hear this masterpiece.

I was a quality control tester of this disc as well as the others.

So... on a blog that shall remain nameless there is a review of the box set - which they received for free.. I will only say that, if you come across said review, there are some things you should be aware of with regard to the DVD-A/V disc in particular.

The review says there is no Dolby (not sure why anyone in 2016 would care but I digress). There is indeed Dolby on the DVD-V portion along with DTS 96/24 and LPCM stereo. On the DVD-A portion, there is MLP Quad 4.0 and MLP 2.0 stereo along with access to the DTS 96/24 and LPCM is you so desire. I must say that this disc (IMO - YMMV) sounds far and away the best of all three quads so far. The quad and stereo are mighty clean sounding and the quad, in particular, is nice and punchy on my system. I have not heard the rest of the box set at this point.

It also goes on to say that the authoring job is one of the worst that the reviewer has ever experienced. In my opinion, the authoring is pretty straight forward. No bells or whistles but no surprises either. And the screen slides and art on the disc looks beautiful.

I do not have any direct information on the sources as I do not have the box yet. The reviewer says that there really isn't any listed within the box either. I only know what I hear and I can honestly say I like it a lot and it will now be the disc I go to to hear this masterpiece.

Bob, MUCH appreciate your inciteful mini review of Journey and that it does sound better than the previous two Wakeman "needledrop" releases. Perhaps they did locate the absolute analogue QUAD masters rather than rely on a needledrop approach (Journey was released on a CD~4 discrete LP) as you make NO mention of vinyl 'nasties' [as I call them].

Looking forward to this release.

Back