Mannheim Steamroller "Fresh Aire 8" in 5.1 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (May 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this on amazon today: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-London-Symphony-Mannheim-Steamroller/dp/B01DD5N2W6/

This album was released as a 5.1 surround DVD-Audio disc last decade, so are Audio Fidelity bringing it out again as one of their Multichannel SACD releases? Once I find more information, it's going right in this thread! :)

Ryan, I just checked AudioFidelity.com's pre~release schedule and nothing was posted regarding Fresh Aire 8.

I do have the exceptionally sounding/ultra discrete DVD~A but don't consider it one of MS's best in terms of content (Fresh Aire 1~4 are superior, IMO, but have no 5.1 remixes).

Ryan, I just checked AudioFidelity.com's pre~release schedule and nothing was posted regarding Fresh Aire 8.

I do have the exceptionally sounding/ultra discrete DVD~A but don't consider it one of MS's best in terms of content (Fresh Aire 1~4 are superior, IMO, but have no 5.1 remixes).

That doesn't matter. Amazon has frequently beaten Audio Fidelity to the punch when it comes to listing preorders for their titles, but that's why I put this in the Rumours section as there's nothing to definitely confirm this will be a multichannel SACD, but it's certainly possible it could be. :)

I hope not on this one.
For every title they release that thrills me, there is another that is a major snooze.
Mannheim Steamroller would definitely fit into the latter category for me

It's official. It's a Multichannel SACD, and here's the cover:
51r3jNB1vtL.jpg

:)

What's the logic behind this release? Does it improve on the DVD in some way?

I ask chiefly because you can still pick up the DVD new & sealed for a tenner.. 15 years down the line.. there aren't a ton of out of print surround discs we are looking for you can say that about nowadays are there..?

I just hope AF aren't banking on this being a big seller.. and they got the license for peanuts.. or it could be part of some deal whereby they get other surround from Mannheim S or some related artists or -- MAYBE -- it's to test the waters and see how well a reissue of a surround title sells that is technically out of print but can still be picked up new/sealed...? Or the viability of a reissue with new improved Stereo over the Stereo that's part of the common surround version you can still pick up today. Although I could think of several other titles I'd have chosen instead for the experiment (Steely Dan? EJ? Hehe..)

Anyway, it's only 1 release in 12 months' worth of releases.. Hopefully AF will do more Quad and unreleased surround goodies in the same vein as they've been putting out so far.. soon!

What's the logic behind this release? Does it improve on the DVD in some way?

I ask chiefly because you can still pick up the DVD new & sealed for a tenner.. 15 years down the line.. there aren't a ton of out of print surround discs we are looking for you can say that about nowadays are there..?

I just hope AF aren't banking on this being a big seller.. and they got the license for peanuts.. or it could be part of some deal whereby they get other surround from Mannheim S or some related artists or -- MAYBE -- it's to test the waters and see how well a reissue of a surround title sells that is technically out of print but can still be picked up new/sealed...? Or the viability of a reissue with new improved Stereo over the Stereo that's part of the common surround version you can still pick up today. Although I could think of several other titles I'd have chosen instead for the experiment (Steely Dan? EJ? Hehe..)

Anyway, it's only 1 release in 12 months' worth of releases.. Hopefully AF will do more Quad and unreleased surround goodies in the same vein as they've been putting out so far.. soon!

Adam, even though I've always been somewhat of a Mannheim Steamroller fanboy, I also found it an odd choice that AF chose to release this as a 5.1 SACD. I have ALL of the MS DVD~A 5.1 surround discs (including their "Ambience Series") and I was always hoping that they'd go back to the early Fresh Aire series and remix them in 5.1 (Fresh Aire 1-4, especially).

As I've mentioned before, if you don't have the Mannheim Steamroller DVD~A 5.1 of MS Meets the Mouse, I VERY highly recommend it. A GREAT immersive mix and still available used from AmazonUS (NEW is almost $200). http://www.amazon.com/Mannheim-Stea...ller+Meets+The+Mouse+DVD~A+5.1&tag=acleint-20

Adam, even though I've always been somewhat of a Mannheim Steamroller fanboy, I also found it an odd choice that AF chose to release this as a 5.1 SACD. I have ALL of the MS DVD~A 5.1 surround discs (including their "Ambience Series") and I was always hoping that they'd go back to the early Fresh Aire series and remix them in 5.1 (Fresh Aire 1-4, especially).

As I've mentioned before, if you don't have the Mannheim Steamroller DVD~A 5.1 of MS Meets the Mouse, I VERY highly recommend it. A GREAT immersive mix and still available used from AmazonUS (NEW is almost $200). http://www.amazon.com/Mannheim-Stea...ller+Meets+The+Mouse+DVD~A+5.1&tag=acleint-20

ah well Ralphie, I don't know why I bother trying to second guess any of this music biz shite.. it seemingly makes little sense at the best of times! :D
I'll look into the Mannheim Versus Mouse disc (thanks for the "Ralphie Recommendation" :upthumb )

I do have the exceptionally sounding/ultra discrete DVD~A but don't consider it one of MS's best in terms of content (Fresh Aire 1~4 are superior, IMO, but have no 5.1 remixes).[/QUOTE]

Far superior IMO.

ah well Ralphie, I don't know why I bother trying to second guess any of this music biz shite.. it seemingly makes little sense at the best of times! :D
I'll look into the Mannheim Versus Mouse disc (thanks for the "Ralphie Recommendation" :upthumb )

I've found that ignoring their moves is a much better outcome...since we can't do anything about it anyway it just limits the frustration we all feel about some releases gathering dust in some record company vault...

Adam, you will LOVE the Mouse disc. It's WILDLY discrete with great sound effects. Dig out your Mickey Mouse Ears:music and "Do The Mouse!":banana::banana::banana:

As far as TRYING to figure out the Music BIZ, DON'T EVEN TRY. Personally, I've been VERY content with AF's choices and as we speak, I'm listening to Dylan croaking (literally) on the Bootleg Disc. It's actually VERY well recorded and the rears are awash with guitar/vocal/harmonica ambience and audience applause. I NEVER thought the man could sing and he's a competent guitar/harmonica player but after once hearing the GREAT Richie Havens sing "Just Like A Woman" LIVE, I ALWAYS maintained that Dylan's BRILLIANT songs are best interpreted by other artists WHO CAN SING.

Adam, you will LOVE the Mouse disc. It's WILDLY discrete with great sound effects. Dig out your Mickey Mouse Ears:music and "Do The Mouse!":banana::banana::banana:

As far as TRYING to figure out the Music BIZ, DON'T EVEN TRY. Personally, I've been VERY content with AF's choices and as we speak, I'm listening to Dylan croaking (literally) on the Bootleg Disc. It's actually VERY well recorded and the rears are awash with guitar/vocal/harmonica ambience and audience applause. I NEVER thought the man could sing and he's a competent guitar/harmonica player but after once hearing the GREAT Richie Havens sing "Just Like A Woman" LIVE I ALWAYS maintained that Dylan's BRILLIANT songs are best interpreted by other artists WHO CAN SING.

His strength is his songwriting ability...I view the Bootleg as more of an artistic "event' ..not a concert...he really over extends himself vocally on it...when he's not "talking" the lyrics he's yelling them..it's a good thing his major hit songs originated as studio productions....at least they could correct some of the vocal problems...but it's very well done by AF and does provide some insight into what the environment was like "back in the day"...

I've found that ignoring their moves is a much better outcome...since we can't do anything about it anyway it just limits the frustration we all feel about some releases gathering dust in some record company vault...

You're right.. still "grinds my gears" though.. ;)

So, at this point, which Hi-Res disc would you rather have an AF Surround SACD reissue of?

He Manheim Bog Roller - Fresh Aire on a g-string (or whatever its called)

OR

Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World QUAD ?

OR

Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night QUAD ?

OR

Bob Dylan - Desire QUAD ?

OR

Santana (Take your pic there's 11 of them) QUAD ?

OR

Classic EJ - 5.1 with GREAT STEREO - AT LAST... ??

OR

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic = 5.1..???

..and before anyone thinks I'm unduly bashing AF, there's an HFPA Blu-ray coming out any minute.. (yes, remember those Hi Fi Pure A$$hole Blu-rays from Universal? ;) ) -- of music to do f***ing YOGA ​to..!?!? ..oh I could weep! :ugham:

His strength is his songwriting ability...I view the Bootleg as more of an artistic "event' ..not a concert...he really over extends himself vocally on it...when he's not "talking" the lyrics he's yelling them..it's a good thing his major hit songs originated as studio productions....at least they could correct some of the vocal problems...but it's very well done by AF and does provide some insight into what the environment was like "back in the day"...

Which is what I alluded to, Clint. Dylan's songwriting is undeniably brilliant and the Bootleg Disc is WELL WORTH owning for this somewhat historic event but I may have to take an ambien at the 90 minute mark!

So, at this point, which Hi-Res disc would you rather have an AF Surround SACD reissue of?

OR

OR

OR

OR

OR

OR

..and before anyone thinks I'm unduly bashing AF, there's an HFPA Blu-ray coming out any minute.. (yes, remember those Hi Fi Pure A$$hole Blu-rays from Universal? ;) ) -- of music to do f***ing YOGA ​to..!?!? ..oh I could weep! :ugham:

Adam ALL your choices are PRIMO but if you're barefoot and pregnant the HFPA BD~A Yoga disc may be just what the doctor ordered! :brew

I'm with you on your list...................and I misread YOGA as YOGURT :yikes I think my mind is still affected by booze & Hawkwind :mad:@:

OR

OR

OR

OR

OR

OR

You guys did not get my "hint" answer in post #2? What, you're all slipping?

PS - I too was quite stunned to find this as a forthcoming AF SACD release. Very odd, but I would never argue against a surround release. We have to assume that all of the good stuff we keep harping about is just not yet attainable.

Back