Rhapsody "Prometheus - The Dolby Atmos Experience" (BD-A) is coming on December 9th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

The latest album of Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody, "Prometheus, Symphonia Ignis Divinus", was chosen to be the first studio album in music history to be remixed in Dolby Atmos. Renowned producer/mixing engineer Chris Heil (DAVID BOWIE, BRYAN ADAMS, SCORPIONS) mixed the entire masterpiece in Dolby Atmos – the mindblowing result will be submitted for the 2017 Grammy nominations. »Prometheus, The Dolby Atmos Experience + Cinematic And Live« will be released December, 9th via Nuclear Blast.

More info on the release, that sports the Pure Audio logo (and is reportedly fully compatible with a standard True-HD decoder and will play back in 7.1 or 5.1), here.

Artwork-PROMETHEUS-Dolby-Atmos-FINAL-low-res_1-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
More info on the release, that sports the Pure Audio logo and is reportedly fully compatible with a standard True-HD decoder and will play back in 7.1 or 5.1 here.

View attachment 27360

Even though I'm not presently equipped to handle Dolby Atmos I suspect this is important news and may spur other CURRENT acts to consider remixing their albums into Dolby Atmos.

This, coupled with Coldplay's BD~A release 'A Head Full of Dreams' may bode well for the future of Surround Music....something this industry desperately needs to attract new converts.

Got my copy delivered today, straight from the Nuclear Blast shop.

Firstly, the technical stuff: the cover states two audio tracks - Dolby ATMOS and Dolby Digital 5.1. However, the menu - standard Pure Audio interface - shows LPCM Stereo 48/24 and Dolby ATMOS, but my Oppo BDP-93EU reads the latter as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and I listened to the 5.1 downmix. Will have to wait till summer when I can use my 7.1 set-up.
Interestingly, when compared on-the-fly, the stereo track absolutely pales in comparison.

Mix-wise, this title is no disappointment. The surround mix is rather aggresive most of the time, placing a lot of stuff in the rears (backing vocals/choir, orchestral parts, keyboards or programming). Lead vocal is anchored in the centre channel. There's also relatively big variety at play between the songs, which is a good thing. Adventurous, yes - and sounding quite huge, too! Never heard the original recording (nor the band), but I suspect there's some compression at play, as my ears get tired faster than usual (the drums!), and the fidelity shows at quieter parts.

Personally, I'm rather happy with this purchase. Musically, it's almost as much as I can digest nowadays (no longer a metalhead), fortunately much less cheesier than I'd expect - and actually, I'd appreciate heavier sounding rhythm guitars, but that's something that 5.1 hi-res stuff scarcely translates for me.

This could actually win some new surround fans!

Got my copy delivered today, straight from the Nuclear Blast shop.

Firstly, the technical stuff: the cover states two audio tracks - Dolby ATMOS and Dolby Digital 5.1. However, the menu - standard Pure Audio interface - shows LPCM Stereo 48/24 and Dolby ATMOS, but my Oppo BDP-93EU reads the latter as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and I listened to the 5.1 downmix. Will have to wait till summer when I can use my 7.1 set-up.
Interestingly, when compared on-the-fly, the stereo track absolutely pales in comparison.

Mix-wise, this title is no disappointment. The surround mix is rather aggresive most of the time, placing a lot of stuff in the rears (backing vocals/choir, orchestral parts, keyboards or programming). Lead vocal is anchored in the centre channel. There's also relatively big variety at play between the songs, which is a good thing. Adventurous, yes - and sounding quite huge, too! Never heard the original recording (nor the band), but I suspect there's some compression at play, as my ears get tired faster than usual (the drums!), and the fidelity shows at quieter parts.

Personally, I'm rather happy with this purchase. Musically, it's almost as much as I can digest nowadays (no longer a metalhead), fortunately much less cheesier than I'd expect - and actually, I'd appreciate heavier sounding rhythm guitars, but that's something that 5.1 hi-res stuff scarcely translates for me.

This could actually win some new surround fans!

Is it super loud?

Loud - yes, definitely in places; super - no.
What do you want me to compare this to? I'm thinking Stratovarius, Saxon, Metallica?

Do you own any of these very loud blu rays; compare it to them;

Jethro Tull live at Montreux

Rush R30, Snakes and Arrows

Ambra all of them

Litchtmond all of them

Or play Porcupine Tree Blu Ray at preferred volume, can you stand Rhapsody Blu at same volume?

The Metallica Blu Rays are not that loud, in fact they are mastered at low volumes(apart from horribly loud bass on TTN).

OK, it turns out louder than Lichtmond 4, on par with Stratovarius - Elements Pt 1 & 2 and quite a bit quieter than Lichtmond 1.

Actually, it's really similar to Stratovarius overall, just advanced and using fully the potential of symphonic elements.

Actually, the EU NB shop gave me a €5 off coupon for a first-time customer (valid only for orders over €25, so I snatched the discounted Katatonia blu-ray as well).

OK, it turns out louder than Lichtmond 4, on par with Stratovarius - Elements Pt 1 & 2 and quite a bit quieter than Lichtmond 1.

Actually, it's really similar to Stratovarius overall, just advanced and using fully the potential of symphonic elements.

Okay, cheers (y)

I have orders, and I will have to order Lichtmond 4 since it is not as compressed as 3.

Firstly, the technical stuff: the cover states two audio tracks - Dolby ATMOS and Dolby Digital 5.1. However, the menu - standard Pure Audio interface - shows LPCM Stereo 48/24 and Dolby ATMOS, but my Oppo BDP-93EU reads the latter as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and I listened to the 5.1 downmix.

All the Dolby Atmos BD movies I own are bitstreamed only as Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on my Pioneer vsx-53

Basically everything mixed in Atmos seems to have a 7.1 core

IMG_9720web_zpsuq1lwrve.jpg

This is just awesome!!!!!!!

Sound quality, surround mix, discreteness, bass, immersive, etc... fantastic! I mean - discrete sounds from the ceiling - even panning from above. This thing is a step or two above everything I ever heard.

Had to play it the old fashion way - on the Blu Ray player, could not rip it and keeping the Atmos soundtrack.

And the music is pretty awesome too!

It is pretty loud, ReplayGain puts it down by 9,5dB - compared to lowering Lichtmond 1 with 10dB.

I have now also listened to it with only 7.1 and it is something completly different. Very much of the details and power lacks (sounds now more like a very good "normal" disc). Maybe it's just my system that is like this. I have experienced the same thing with my Atmos movie-blurays - they always sounds way better (than non Atmos movies) even if the ceiling speakers are not that active. It's like my Yamaha CX-A51000 prossessor turns on its hyperdrive when it is fed with Atmos.

Okay, cheers (y)

I have orders, and I will have to order Lichtmond 4 since it is not as compressed as 3.

FYI
Dynamic Range values of Lichtmond 5.1 mixes:
1 - DR9
2 - DR8
3 English - DR10
3 German - DR7
4 - DR8

I will certainly buy this one, Rhapsody is a great band great musicians and a great singer ( with a terrible Italian accent :smokin) but such a band in surround is a must buy for me. It's not all about DR but fidelity is (usually) very good so thank you for bringing this to my attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:friday:

I will certainly buy this one, Rhapsody is a great band great musicians and a great singer ( with a terrible Italian accent :smokin) but such a band in surround is a must buy for me. It's not all about DR but fidelity is (usually) very good so thank you for bringing this to my attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:friday:

I have it now. First impression; not bad at all. Bass is too much, but once on direct mode(less subwoofer) I can crank it.

Shame not all songs are in English, but really good vocals. Worth buying. Will need many listen to absorb this. It exposes how bad my room is, everything on my right side is louder.

prom_zpswu1qjyvm.jpg

I am not sure how accurate the DR Foobar plugin is (on multichannel tracks - is just measuring the main fronts? ) - but it shows 11, not to bad. Anyway it sounds great or awesome :smokin My Precious

I have it now. First impression; not bad at all. Bass is too much, but once on direct mode(less subwoofer) I can crank it.

Shame not all songs are in English, but really good vocals. Worth buying. Will need many listen to absorb this. It exposes how bad my room is, everything on my right side is louder.

Hehe, my room gives stronger bass from the left/rear side :) But the bass on this album is perfect on my system.

Back