Dual Disc Good Charlotte Dual Disc *NOT* 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
The Good News: Good Charlotte - The Young and the Hopeless - DualDisc was released as scheduled.

The Bad News: Side B is NOT DVD-A. It's not even 5.1. One disc side is labeled as "Enhanced Stereo", whatever that means.

There was also an Avril Lavigne DD -- same thing.

Is it supposed to be in surround? Perhaps it's DPL? Maybe you got a defective disc (that actually happened to me!) that only plays in stereo? My wife is a huge GC fan....she'll pick this up if it's actually in surround, hell, she'll probably buy it regardless, lol.....interested in hearing more about this one....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

eggplant said:
The Good News: Good Charlotte - The Young and the Hopeless - DualDisc was released as skidjuled.

The Bad News: Side B is NOT DVD-A. It's not even 5.1. One disc side is labeled as "Enhanced Stereo", whatever that means.

There was also an Avril Lavigne DD -- same thing.
Are they on Sony? That would be why.

This was one of the original test market discs - one that I did not pick up at the time, so I have nothing to compare it to.

It is stereo 48k 24 bit on the DVD side as opposed to 44.1k 16 bit on the CD side.
Also has some added video stuff, but I don't know what.

john e. bogus said:
Jon, does this mean it's not available anymore?

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

The Boston & Seattle "Test Market" DualDiscs were only available for a short time last year. However, from what I am told, the some of the "new" DualDiscs are identical to those test market discs except for some FBI warnings on the packaging.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2761

Once I find some, I'll report here.

Thom,

Does the 'advanced resolution stereo' indication on the SonyBMG discs means that we get hires PCM resolution stereo?

Frank said:
Thom,

Does the 'advanced resolution stereo' indication on the SonyBMG discs means that we get hires PCM resolution stereo?
As far as I know, there is no "SonyBMG Policy" on the matter.
But, evrything that I have mixed in 5.1 for Dualdisc has had a PCM version in sync with it, running at 48k, 24 bit. (Maybe you'd call it 'higher res'.) :eek:

Sorry to be vague but between my NDA and just plain not knowing or caring, that's all I can tell you.

ThomC said:
As far as I know, there is no "SonyBMG Policy" on the matter.
But, evrything that I have mixed in 5.1 for Dualdisc has had a PCM version in sync with it, running at 48k, 24 bit. (Maybe you'd call it 'higher res'.) :eek:

Sorry to be vague but between my NDA and just plain not knowing or caring, that's all I can tell you.
I guess you had nothing to do with the 5 Browns disc, since it is 16 bit even on the LPCM side. It even states on the back "Recorded in High Resolution 24 bit 88.2khz Technology", so they could have put 24 bit on it easily enough.

It's also not 24 bit. This guy may have mixed it in 24, but that's not what ended up on the disc.

0xA0 - Audio - LPCM / 2ch / 48kHz / 16bit / English / LBA: 47 / PTS: 00:00:00.109 / Delay: 0ms

as compared to a known 96/24 LPCM disc, Queensryche's 'Empire', which conitains both a DVD-A and a DVD-V with 96/24 LPCM section,

0xA0 - Audio - LPCM / 2ch / 96kHz / 24bit / English / LBA: 48 / PTS: 00:00:00.109 / Delay: 0ms

... It seems that all of the following are 48/16:

Five For Fighting - The Battle For Everything
Good Charlotte - The Young and the Hopeless
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys

If you feel this is in error, please check the stream yourself. I'm sure you will verify the same thing.

So obviously, SonyBMG's policy is foggy indeed.

Verified on Sony's site:

http://sonybmg.com/dualdisc/faq.html

Fourth bullet point down.

"DualDiscs also include an LPCM Enhanced Stereo mix of the album on the DVD side. LPCM is an uncompressed audio encoding format and Enhanced Stereo refers to the fact that the audio mix of the album on the DVD side is at a higher sampling rate (48 kHz/16-bit) than that of a CD (44.1 kHz/16-bit)."

None of the Sony releases are 24 bit. They are all 16/48 for the "enhanced PCM stereo" tracks. I am going to be interviewing some of the executives from most of the labels very shortly for an article on DualDisc. I will ask Sony directly what its intentions are for the format and why no support of DVD-A.

Could you ask them what they mean by "enhanced" also? 16/48 is just a standard LPCM track like on any other DVD that has a LPCM track.

It is considered "enhanced" by them because standard CDs are 16/44.1 so there is a slight increase in sampling frequency compared to CDs. Personally I think it is a waste. 24/48 can sound good on a lot of releases, take Nine Inch Nails for example, but we should demand at least 88.2/24 as a minimum.

Back