Q-bifonic release(s) list NEEDED !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvadro

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Anyone knows of any other Q-bifonic release(s), I only know the Tomita. Any others ????

kvadro said:
Anyone knows of any other Q-bifonic release(s), I only know the Tomita. Any others ????

Heck, your listing is the first time I ever heard the term.

So I googled it:

Your search - Q-bifonic - did not match any documents.

Wow, talk about obscure formats!

A/V SQuad said:
Heck, your listing is the first time I ever heard the term.

So I googled it:

Your search - Q-bifonic - did not match any documents.

Wow, talk about obscure formats!
Here's a picture from the Tomita lp, alas ALL the writing on the cover is in japanese

Attachments

• in japanese.jpg
    in japanese.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 192
Wow, it sure helps to get the right spelling! I didn't find anything originally under the incorrect spelling of "bifonic" but there are lots of Google hits under the correct spelling of "biphonic".

The Biphonic process is not a quadraphonic format. It is a 3D stereo spatial technology. Apparently, it specialized in duplicating a binaural effect through regular loudspeakers (conventional binaural recordings require headphones for proper listening).

The Biphonic process utilized an encode/decode process but still only utilized stereo loudspeakers.

I had no luck finding a discography of Biphonic recordings...

Sounds a little like Sony's Q-sound.

If you have ever listened to Roger Waters "Amused To death" and heard the dog barking (outside your house), you know what I mean. :phones

Biphonic is a process for playing binaural recordings over loud speakers as opposed to headphones. Quad Biphonic was a process for spreading the binaural recording over 4 speakers. No recordings are encoded in Biphonic. It is not an encode / decode process. JVC made a Biphonic processor, if I remember correctly, the model number is BN-5.
I have one and it does a nice job but suffers from a phasing sound.

Mark

kvadro said:

I think the Tomita was the only one released even though JVC had some very impressive Q-BiPhonic demo material they used to show off the system at trade shows.

Many years ago I conversed with JVC on this subject and received a copy of the US patent. Attached are pictures from the patent with a diagram and descriptions.

Attachments

• Quad Biphonic Diagram.jpg
    Quad Biphonic Diagram.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Quad Biphonic Background.jpg
    Quad Biphonic Background.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Quad Biphonic Summary.jpg
    Quad Biphonic Summary.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 138
Back