bonnie 'prince' billy - the letting go

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxenholme

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Superb newly released DVD-Audio from Domino Recording Co. Ltd. of London, England.

I bought it via their website.

It comes in a half-baked cardboard sleeve, but the crystal clear sound and gorgeous aggressive surround mix of the disc within is what matters.

Acoustic pop, guitar based, sometimes with a string section in the rears.

(y)

can't believe more folks haven't picked this one up and commented considering the somewhat limited selection of this type of music in this format. Just got mine. Mine is from BPB's American label, drag city. I got it from forced exposure.com, it arrived well under 48 hours after it was shipped. Ordered it on a holiday weekend, and then there was the presidential mourning mail stoppage, so if none of that was going on, I literally would have got this in under two days from when I hit the order button, without choosing any special shipping. Sorry....I was floored (especially after some crap I had to deal with with a 3rd Party seller on Amazon, DP's Music For The Masses SACD import, and Christmas....ouch)

Anyway, the mix and the music......it's just first listen but I'm very impressed so far. He's a great artist and it's nice to hear his music in MC. The mix sounds great. Agressive in places, subtle in others. The music itself doesn't lend itself to an overly aggresive surround experience.

The closest MC artist and album I can pinpoint this sounding like, for folks that need those type of comparisons, is Beck's Sea Change. But only in the genre of MC would I compare these two artists and albums, if that makes any sense.

wish i had ordered it the way you did, Laughingmood. i ordered on Amazon in mid-december, was sent the CD by mistake and am still waiting for it. based on what i've heard up to this point, i would second your Beck "Sea Change" reference as well.

Well....I ordered if from Amazon first as well. Like you, I was sent the CD version. I was told by them they couldn't exchange it for the DVDA (I don't think actually HAVE the DVD-A...I think it's a catagorical mixup) so I sent it back, got a refund and reordered it.

Well....I ordered if from Amazon first as well. Like you, I was sent the CD version. I was told by them they couldn't exchange it for the DVDA (I don't think actually HAVE the DVD-A...I think it's a catagorical mixup) so I sent it back, got a refund and reordered it.

ugh. that doesn't sound promising. at least in my case, amazon claimed they'll send the correct one - - but not until the last two weeks of january. hope i don't get to the end of january only to be told it's still on backorder. :mad:

Very late on this one but I only recently discovered Will Oldham and his various projects. I ordered it from www.velvetmusic.nl for about 25€ (= price + shipping) and it arrived yesterday.

Gorgeous mix IMO (fits the music; not too aggressive but not tame at all either) and good sound quality as well. I have to listen to it again though, this was just my first impression.

The packaging could be better though. I just took the DVD-A out of its cardboard sleeve and put it in a regular jewel case to avoid scratching and stuff like that.

Pulled this off the shelf for the first time in ages and its still a spectaular album.
Great songs and perfect mix for the album, i also forgot abot the extra hidden trax at the end off the wall.

Just got a copy of this myself. Nice, relaxed mix and (I think) an excellent intro to Will Oldham's music.

Just picked this album up as well. Nice to see a modern day artist recording in multi-channel. Sound/mood/style remind me a bit of Tonight's the Night era Neil Young, Iron and Wine, "Milk and Honey" Jackson C. Frank. Lots of duets w. a woman, strings, acoustic, light electronics (very light. I think only on one track), and has already been noted, a tasteful surround presentation. Good music to brood to...with a few songs where the sun peeks out.

Got mine for under $15.

Album: 8
mix: 7

Just picked this album up as well. Nice to see a modern day artist recording in multi-channel. Sound/mood/style remind me a bit of Tonight's the Night era Neil Young, Iron and Wine, "Milk and Honey" Jackson C. Frank. Lots of duets w. a woman, strings, acoustic, light electronics (very light. I think only on one track), and has already been noted, a tasteful surround presentation. Good music to brood to...with a few songs where the sun peeks out.

Got mine for under $15.

Album: 8
mix: 7

This album has really grown on me. Haunting. Well-crafted songs and beautiful melodies. I've also upgraded my receiver and speakers which has made me appreciate the mix more.

Album: 9.5
Mix: 8.0

Geez I've had this album in 5.1 for years now.

Can't really add much to what been said already in the positive.

Genre : would be something like between Beck's - Sea Change DVDA , and Ben Folds dvd , Songs For Silverman.

For awhile back this DVDA was in my regular rotation. There are maybe 3 or 4 must hear tracks imho. Also noteworthy is , as mentioned previously , the low price for this disc. Also noteworthy is that this
(Chicago city artist ? I think ) had this album recorded in Iceland .

In short , I do recommend this DVDA as being most worthy .

Back