Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream DVD-A for pre-order

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same same; CD + DVD. I get irritated with CD Universe's lack of attention to detail and send corrections often. This excerpt from description clinches it:

"2006 edition of the classic 1999 studio album "Stupid Dream." Disc one is a CD containing a Steven Wilson remix / remaster of the original stereo album, while disc two is a DVDA (playable on any DVD player) containing the album remixed into 5.1 surround sound (in DVDA and DTS versions), as well as a 24 bit high resolution version of the stereo mix. Also included are 5.1 mixes of bonus tracks Ambulance Chasing and the full length 14 minute version of Even Less, the promo video for Piano Lessons, and a photo gallery. The artwork has also been completely revamped, with exceptional images by Lasse Hoile, and a beautiful package designed by Carl Glover."

Same same; CD + DVD. I get irritated with CD Universe's lack of attention to detail and send corrections often. This excerpt from description clinches it:

"2006 edition of the classic 1999 studio album "Stupid Dream." Disc one is a CD containing a Steven Wilson remix / remaster of the original stereo album, while disc two is a DVDA (playable on any DVD player) containing the album remixed into 5.1 surround sound (in DVDA and DTS versions), as well as a 24 bit high resolution version of the stereo mix. Also included are 5.1 mixes of bonus tracks Ambulance Chasing and the full length 14 minute version of Even Less, the promo video for Piano Lessons, and a photo gallery. The artwork has also been completely revamped, with exceptional images by Lasse Hoile, and a beautiful package designed by Carl Glover."

That does sum it up perfectly. This is definately a must buy. The CD works well in the car. Where else would I bother playing stereo? And the DVD-A is very well done and belongs in your extremely well set-up surround system.

I just recently ordered this, at least I hope I did from Buy.com. The description there was lacking as well at the time of my order. I expect the CD/DVD-A to show up Monday.

Chris

Latest info I have is that there are indeed going to be most of the songs from the next studio album played on the forthcoming tour, so we will get to hear them before they are released.
There is around 50 minutes worth of new material recorded so far.....

Just came back from the Paris show, and you were 100% right Neil : they played EXACTLY 50 mn of new material, had a little break and played for another 70 mn, of older material (mainly from In Absentia and Deadwing).

So... what the new material sounds like ?

Nothing really like the previous albums, but still it's PT, it's unmistakable.

I'd say it's both darker and slower, with incredibly violent highlights in some tracks. Remember the awesome riffs in Deadwing (in the middle of Arriving Somewhere... for instance) ? Well, some songs have that, but even more harder (some of you may know that Steven Wilson has produced some Opeth albums, and this is definitely an influence).

Most of the new stuff clocks at 6mn+, with an incredible epic of more than 10mn (it's the third song of the set, don't miss it !), which may well be one of the most outstanding PT track they have ever written. Audience was speechless ! Well, cheerful in fact but you could see incredulous smiles on faces...

However, this new material will likely demand way much more efforts to get into it than the last 4 albums. Somehow it's more difficult to digest, like the real older stuff, which was almost experimental at times. Or maybe the most ambiant / improvised (?) parts will be shortened in studio. After all this is still a work in progress.

Anyway, thanks again to PT for this good time. I've seen them countless times on stage, and this is the first time they dare present so much new stuff live. Usually Steven Wilson is quite obsessed with keeping the new direction unknown, and no new music usually gets out before the release date...

Steven said they go into studio right at the end of this tour and hopefully the new album will be out in the first quarter of 2007.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I must say I prefer to see shows where I already know the material, but I see that PT really want people to experience it for the first time live and are asking people not to records the shows. Should be interesting. I have never taped a show, but I admit I was thinking of trying to track some tapes down for a bit of a preview. Maybe after the tour is done some tapes will surface and we can all hear the songs' progression through time.

So, will I see you at The Fillmore next month?

I have never taped a show, but I admit I was thinking of trying to track some tapes down for a bit of a preview. Maybe after the tour is done some tapes will surface and we can all hear the songs' progression through time.
If you do plan to do it despite the band's warning on their website, be advised that if one of the crew members does catch you, you will be brought out of the venue :(

I was wearing earplugs (the professionnal type, moulded to my own ears), and one of the crew member came to me and wanted to check out if they weren't microphones ! :eek: (this type).

Anyway, it's obvious that some recordings will surface despite their efforts, so you may well wait for them than taking your own chances... :cool:

So, will I see you at The Fillmore next month?
Hehe - I'd love to ! But last time I did not travel just for PT - it was for holidays and it happened that I was in SF when PT was there too, so it was the best of both worlds ;)

Have a good show !!!

Thanks, I'm sure it will be a good show!

I didn't mean that I was thinking of taping the show, only searching for boots of previous shows so that I could become familiar with some of the new songs before going. But, if PT want people to hear these songs for the first time live, who am I to second guess them?

Most of the new stuff clocks at 6mn+, with an incredible epic of more than 10mn (it's the third song of the set, don't miss it !), which may well be one of the most outstanding PT track they have ever written.
In fact that long new piece is more like 17 min. "part" 3+4 belong together. Interesting to see, later on, if it will be still that long on the album.

Does anyone know the official release date for this title? I can't seem to find it and I need it for the new DVD-A list I'm working on.

THANKS

Might be confusing; here's what I have:
1. Burning Shed shipped mine 5/16/06
2. Jul 17, 2006 listed for the import at CD Universe
3. Listed as 8/08/06 at amazon.com

Okay - My copy of Stupid Dream has started to do something odd. First I couldn't access the Piano Lessons video now I can't access anything beyond the MLP tracks. Well, I assume they are the MLP tracks because when I press the display button on my player (a Denon BDP-2012) it shows MLP 5.1. Thinking there might be something wrong with the disc I dusted down the old Pioneer DV575 and lo - it will play the DVD-V content but not the MLP stuff. So I cloned the disc and the same thing happens on the back up.

The disc is shafted, isn't it?

BTW sorry for the necro-post

Sounds more like player than disc to me - if the disc were screwed, you'd get disc read errors when you were reading the original disc to make the clone.

Are you sure when you did the clone that it copied the AUDIO_TS folder contents as well? A lot of those programs only clone the DVD-V (VIDEO_TS) section and not the DVD-A (AUDIO_TS) section. I'm not sure what software you used but I generally use DVDFab 9 to do my DVD-A rips/clones.

Sounds more like player than disc to me - if the disc were screwed, you'd get disc read errors when you were reading the original disc to make the clone.

Are you sure when you did the clone that it copied the AUDIO_TS folder contents as well? A lot of those programs only clone the DVD-V (VIDEO_TS) section and not the DVD-A (AUDIO_TS) section. I'm not sure what software you used but I generally use DVDFab 9 to do my DVD-A rips/clones.

FYI - The disc does not have any copy protection - so I would recommend using ImgBurn.

Back