Nov 08 SOUND & VISION: Top 10 Surround Discs of All Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
The feature article in November's (2008) Sound & Vision Magazine in the "TOP 50 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME". Along with these (Revolver is #1), there are a few sub-catagories. One of these is the "Top 10 Multichannel-Music Discs" (Page 42). Sound & Vision has been very pro-surround in their magazine since the dawn of DVD-A and SACD, so it's no surprise that they had this as a catagory.

Here is the list:

1) Pink Floyd - DSOTM (SACD)
2) Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
3) Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (DVD-A)(They don't mention the SACD)
4) Beatles - Love (DVD-A)
5) Steely Dan - Gaucho (DVD-A, SACD)
6) The Who - Tommy (DVD-A, SACD)
7) Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (DVD-V)
8) Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (SACD)
9) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DVD-A)
10) Los Angeles Guitar Quartet - Guitar Heroes (SACD)

Sound & Vision has been very pro-surround in their magazine since the dawn of DVD-A and SACD, so it's no surprise that they had this as a category.
Jon,

You are so right, Sound & Vision has been very pro-surround. Maybe it is time for a letter to the editor from each of us telling them we appreciate their continued coverage of surround sound. Their reviews of surround sound have been one of the main reasons that I subscribe to the magazine.

Tough choice between 3 and 4... Love is a stellar disc and mix but it is a "revisitation" of the original - don't forget that this music was remixed and mixed to fit the coreography! - while Brother is a absolute classic.
Probably i will go for Love.

Here is the list:

1) Pink Floyd - DSOTM (SACD)
2) Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
3) Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (DVD-A)(They don't mention the SACD)
4) Beatles - Love (DVD-A)
5) Steely Dan - Gaucho (DVD-A, SACD)
6) The Who - Tommy (DVD-A, SACD)
7) Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (DVD-V)
8) Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (SACD)
9) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DVD-A)
10) Los Angeles Guitar Quartet - Guitar Heroes (SACD)

I guess Sound and Vision didn't want to scare away the advertising dollars from Warner Music.

I own 8 of the 10 and hope to pick up FoaBP to make it 9. I sure wouldn't put several of those I own in my 10 favorite but I like all of them. I don't recall ever having heard of "Guitar Heroes".

Chris

Seems to me only Fletwood Mac is a Warner title.

Both Genesis and Dire Straits are on Warner-owned labels, which is the reason why these titles aren't released as SACD in the US. Outside of the US, these groups are on pro-SACD labels. If a title is released as hi-rez or on another format outside of the US, S&V generally will not mention their existence.

I own 8 of the 10 and hope to pick up FoaBP to make it 9. I sure wouldn't put several of those I own in my 10 favorite but I like all of them. I don't recall ever having heard of "Guitar Heroes".

Chris

LAGQ has four SACDs. Three of them - Guitar Heroes, Brazil, and Latin - have one guitar in each corner, while the other - Spin - is an ambient mix. I don't own Spin, but the other three are pure joy. Just brilliant. I don't know why they picked Guitar Heroes over the others for the top 10, other than the fact that the music is slightly more mainstream than classical.

LAGQ has four SACDs. Three of them - Guitar Heroes, Brazil, and Latin - have one guitar in each corner, while the other - Spin - is an ambient mix. I don't own Spin, but the other three are pure joy. Just brilliant. I don't know why they picked Guitar Heroes over the others for the top 10, other than the fact that the music is slightly more mainstream than classical.

Agreed, Guitar Heroes and Latin are outstanding (I haven't picked up Brazil yet). The Chet Atkins tribute on GH is a favorite demo track of mine as well.

I would choose several different titles for my 10, and it looks like Jon has provided that opportunity in a new thread...

Mark

The first item on the list should be bootleg DVD-A. ;)

I think Deadwing is the best Porcupine Tree surround disc.

Any top 10 of mine would have to include Beck's "Sea Change".

Nice to see the coverage in the media, even if it is the audio/videophile media.

Back