Hello People

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baniels

I finally managed to get my hands on (almost, anyway) Fagen's Kamakiriad DVDA. Auction ended last night.

Anyhow, that win reminded me of this forum and figured I'd share my glee here since my wife can't quite relate to my obsession.

Here's my catalog as of now, including the recent Fagen disc.

DVD-Audio

Aaron Neville -- Believe
Diana Krall -- When I look In Your Eyes
Donald Fagen -- Morph The Cat
Donald Fagen -- The Nightfly
Donald Fagen -- Kamakiriad
Elton John -- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Fleetwood Mac -- Rumors
Mickey Hart -- Over The Edge and Back
Natalie Merchant -- Tigerlily
Neil Young -- Harvest
Philip Glass -- Koyaanisqatsi
Porcupine Tree -- Deadwing
Porcupine Tree -- In Absentia
Porcupine Tree -- Lightbulb Sun
Porcupine Tree -- Fear Of A Black Planet
Queen -- A Night At The Opera
Queen -- The Game
REM -- Best of REM - In Time
Steely Dan -- Gaucho
Steely Dan -- Everything Must Go
Steely Dan -- Two Against Nature
Yes -- Fragile
Zephyr -- Voices Unbound

SACD

Aimee Mann -- Lost In Space
Babatunde Olatunji -- Circle Of Drums
Derek And The Dominos -- Layla
Diana Krall -- The Girl In The Other Room
Dire Straits -- Brothers In Arms
James Taylor -- October Road
Mark Knopfler -- Shangri-La
Norah Jones -- Come Away With Me
Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon
Roxy Music -- Avalon

Current Setup:
Oppo 981HD
Onkyo TX-SR805
Sub: Homemade enclosure w/TC Sounds 12" driver
Mains: Utah WD66 (garage sale find. New caps gave them new life)
Center & Surrounds: Mid-range Huff System two-ways

Retired:
Outlaw ICBM (Oppo ->HDMI ->Onkyo has proved better)
Behringer DSP1124P (Thanks to Audyssey)

Last edited:
Congrats on the Fagen disc. Your collection looks to be filling out nicely. How's that Babatunde Olatunji SACD? Not familiar with that one.

It is pretty good. I'm a long time drummer, so most anything featuring drums is good for me. I think there is another disc by the same artist that may have been better reviewed. Haven't picked it up yet though.

Congrats on the Fagen disc. Your collection looks to be filling out nicely. How's that Babatunde Olatunji SACD? Not familiar with that one.

Nice collection, you can review or rate those discs in the HiRez Spotlight (Poll) section.

If you like "Circle Of Drums" and "Over The Edge and Back", let me also recommend the Kodo - Mondo Head SACD. Great drumming of course and also a dramatic surround presentation. It was hard to come by when I found mine on eBay over a year ago, but if you wait it out one will eventually turn up.

I don't have "Circle Of Drums" but I do have the other Olatunji SACD, "Drums of Passion." It's a 1959 recording (on three tracks?) and is not too "surround-y," but I do enjoy the music a lot.

Mark Z

Edit: I have "Drums of Passion" spinning now, and have to admit that it sounds a lot more "surround-y" than I remembered. Whether or not this was recorded with just three tracks, it still sounds pretty durned good to me...

Last edited:
nice! I listened to my copy last nite and was lamenting over the loss of such a nice format. 2 videos. plus all the nice extras included, really sad state of affairs that more of these are not made.( dvd-audio)

If my memory serves right, "Koyaanisqatsi" is definitely not the most discrete, surround-y or aggressive when it comes to 5.1 unfortunately - on the other hand, it ain't nowhere near ambient either. Overall, a slight disapointment with the mix for me considering we're talking about a movie soundtrack here.

How is the surround mix on "Koyaanisqatsi"? I might look for this if it's an adventurous mix.

J. D.

It's not the 'film mix,' that's only on the old stereo Antilles Lp import, AFAIK. This version was a (at the time) newly recorded and expanded edition in 5.1, including a lot of the music left off the original album due to time constraints. It rumbles pretty well, as I remember, although haven't played it in a long while. But it's not the 'original soundtrack recording.' (There is 5.1 on the MGM DVD of the film, but it's little more than a treatment of the original Dolby Surround, not true 5.1).

ED :)

Baniels, if you take time to rate your current surround titles here you will note that you already have quite a number of the forum favorites.

Chris

I'm a fan of Philip Glass, but I'm not that happy with the disc. It gets played on Halloween when I need some slightly spooky background music. Other than that, it rarely makes the rotation.

I'll defer to what has already been said a few post back on the surround mix. Accurate descriptions.

How is the surround mix on "Koyaanisqatsi"? I might look for this if it's an adventurous mix.

J. D.

Back