HiRez Poll Knopfler, Mark - SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mark Knopfler - SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Just released as a "Dual Pack", it includes a CD/HDCD with a DVD-A disc. Also includes a 26 minute "Behind the Scene" footage with interviews.

Here's what to look for:

Attachments

• sailing.jpg
    sailing.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 791
The surround sound mix is great. The DVD-Audio brings out a lot of clarity in the music as well. I've always loved Dire Straits so I decided to see what Mark Knopfler was doing on his own. I'm not disappointed. I expect this album to get pretty heavy rotation. I give it an 8.

well this is still available and a resonable price if you are prepaired to do teh leg work (or let google do the leg work). A pleasent enough album, no 'Brothers in Arms' but much better IMHO than 'Shagri-la'.

I think I only did not buy this originally because the sleeve design is so rubbish. nothing like the brash 'Shagri-la' album.

The music is very well recorded as you would expect, the surround is not going to set the world on fire but then neither is the music, but they compliment well.

Nice overall package and glad I finally shelled out for it.

I agree 100% with the prior post. I gave it an 8 because the surround mix should have been more agressive, but it is hard to complain about this. Better than Shangi-La. If Mark Knopfler were any more laid back than on Shagri-LA, he would be dead or asleep. "philadelphia" at least has some spunk to it.

One of my more played albums. Glad I picked it up. It has a nice surround mix and sonics are very good. It's more up tempo than Shangi-La which shares the same sonics and surround mix properties. Too bad Mark didn't continue on with surround mixes for his past couple of albums.

Thanks to Mike's generosity, I got my copy yesterday and I played it through twice last night real loud.

Great disc. Amazing fidelity. The title track with James Taylor is exemplary. Enough of a surround mix for me.

I'm giving it a 9.

Last edited:
I give it an eight overall, but the sonics are near a ten. Should have been a little more aggressive mix...

A "9".

I could never find a copy here in the UK, perhaps it was never released over here!?
Knopflers'' Shangri La was much easier to find here on SACD and i enjoyed that, so went hunting for more from him in 5.1, only to struggle to pick this one up anywhere without a hassle!

In the end i had to import it via Tower Records a few years back, which still ended up taking a while and costing a fair few quid but it was definitely worth it.

It sounds amazing! Real ear candy! All the songs are really lovely, easy-listening without ever descending into being boring, it is a real treasure of a set in my collection. The mix doesn't do a great deal that's exciting but what it does, it does well and only serves to strengthen a set of wonderful songs.

It's a crime it's so obscure, everyone should own it!

A "9".

I could never find a copy here in the UK, perhaps it was never released over here!?
Knopflers'' Shangri La was much easier to find here on SACD and i enjoyed that, so went hunting for more from him in 5.1, only to struggle to pick this one up anywhere without a hassle!

In the end i had to import it via Tower Records a few years back, which still ended up taking a while and costing a fair few quid but it was definitely worth it.

It sounds amazing! Real ear candy! All the songs are really lovely, easy-listening without ever descending into being boring, it is a real treasure of a set in my collection. The mix doesn't do a great deal that's exciting but what it does, it does well and only serves to strengthen a set of wonderful songs.

It's a crime it's so obscure, everyone should own it!

I just happen to have two of them still sealed, but looking for a trade not a sale. See my profile for what I currently own.

I'll follow up by saying that this thread inspired me to give this another spin yesterday, for the first time in a wee while..
and on playing around with it, noticed its "only" 48k/24bit PPCM..
well blow me down but it still sounds totally gorgeous!
the mix is a bit safe/unadventurous but that befits the songs.
it's still worthy of that "9"..!

very relaxed and relaxing music, sometimes a bit too quiet. Anyway there are a couple of great songs, the sound quality is good and the surround mix is appropriate for this kind of music (could be a bit more adventurous, though...). But there is a song featuring the great Van Morrison, so I have to vote a 9.

I'm giving this one a 10. The most important feature for me is that this disc fills a void if you need something laid back/reflect on life kind of music. Knopfler is a master storyteller and mood maker. His songs all have an atmosphere that pulls you in and lets you relax. I agree with the other comments about the fidelity (excellent) and the mix - conservative - but works VERY well for this collection of songs. It is surround. My feeling is that this is a must-have disc. For me it is definitely unique in my collection.

It's a favorite here too and the storytelling is fine. This is one of the first DVD-A's I bought after noticing the strange markings on my OPPO 970-HD.

Waited a long time to grab this one.

A solid 9 for me.

Speedway at Nazareth floored me. It is much more powerful than the CD lets on.

Clarity is top notch.

A fine glass of wine while listening is ultimate relaxation. :smokin

Found a sealed copy earlier this year for $9. I had heard some of the songs from a live recording of indefinite origin! As per usual, Mark Knopfler gets it done. Nothing like old Dire Straits, but that is not where he is now. Solid 9 for all around quality material and craftsmanship.

Back