The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings - DVD-A??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiRez4Me

I have read on a German web page that The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings has a DVD-A disc in the package. Anyone can confirm this or has listened to it already? As release date I have seen Dec 13th.

Cheers,
Frank

Yes it does -- apparently with the same contents as the three CDs . . .

Quoting from:-
http://soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=173

. . . "The fourth disc is a real treat: a DVD featuring the contents of the first three CDs, in high-quality digital sound. There are four formats for you to choose from, depending on your equipment. Most people only have regular DVD players, and they will be given a choice of listening to the album in Dolby Digital 2.0, or immersive Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. If you're fortunate to have a DVD-Audio compatible player, you will get the chance to hear the music in PPCM 2.0 or PPCM 5.1 uncompressed audio. Suffice it to say, the quality is excellent . . . "

Also on Amazon websites . . .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bs_b_2_2/104-8940928-5519164?v=glance&s=music

Well, it's got more than three hours (!) on one DVD-A. So, in order to fit it all on, I'd guess it's 24bit & 48kHz in 5.1 surround, plus the same rez in stereo. Note that it's in 24bit which is the most important part of the resolution, and 48kHz sample rate still ain't bad.

I already ordered mine from Amazon just before the weekend. Can't wait to play it. :)

Hmm, I guess I know what I'll be buying on my lunch break! Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what to use this 30% off Borders coupon for. ;)

Cai Campbell said:
Hmm, I guess I know what I'll be buying on my lunch break!
Urgh. So much for that idea. I visited three stores and all had sold out of this title just today. You'd think it was Christmas or something! :mad:@:

Okay, managed to pick this up after the Holidays. The packaging is top-notch and the music is incredible. Brought back great memories of the film.

One major league bummer: FAKE, FAKE, FAKE SURROUND!!!

Argh! Could have been great... and the hi-rez stereo is, but the fake surround is a major let-down. You think for this deluxe package they could have done the surround mix right, but noooooo!

They just keep milking that LOTR cash cow with minimal effort. This is an insult to LOTR fans who also appreciate surround-sound.

(n) (n)

Appreciate this info Cai.
I have the 3 separate boxed sets with 4 DVD-V in each one, and was almost annoyed about this "new" version.
Now I'm not any more.

Well, this box set is just the soundtrack, no video at all (except for the DVD-A menu). The complete score for the first film on three CDs and repeated on one DVD-A, with "hi-rez" 24/48 stereo and FAKE synthesized surround.

I'm sure we'll see similar treatment of the soundtracks for the other two films, followed by the super-duper deluxe set that packages all three (just like they did for the DVD-Video discs).

Cai, I have it too.

Methinks you are nit-picking. ;-)

I don't think the surround is "fake", but to me the surround is the same as was presented for the film -- i.e. rears for ambience. The only differences for this DVD-A are: (a) full extended score; (b) lossless 24 bit DVD-A resolution.

Note that, as a film soundtrack, it simply couldn't have been aggressive (i.e. 'hard' use of the surrounds), since that would have distracted from the actual surround film effects.

Having said that, the center speaker is often used very discretely indeed. And to good effect (i.e. for some solo instruments and also Enya’s vocals in particular).

In short, it’s definitely NOT a fake surround mix using post-processing to "add" ambience" as you seem to imply.

Aside from that, I am in agreement with the numerous comments on Amazon which are practically unanimous in extolling its praise.

Last edited:
HiRez4Me said:
I have read on a German web page that The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings has a DVD-A disc in the package. Anyone can confirm this or has listened to it already? As release date I have seen Dec 13th.

Cheers,
Frank

frank, just curious. I notice you have a picture of a B&o sub. Is that your sub? If so I didnt think that B&O could play DVD Audio...am I wrong?

Martin said:
Note that, as a film soundtrack, it simply couldn't have been aggressive (i.e. 'hard' use of the surrounds), since that would have distracted from the actual surround film effects.

Having said that, the center speaker is often used very discretely indeed. And to good effect (i.e. for some solo instruments and also Enya’s vocals in particular).

In short, it’s definitely NOT a fake surround mix using post-processing to "add" ambience" as you seem to imply.
Yes, I know that the music in the movie was subdued in its surround presentation so as not to interfere with the movie. However, for a purely musical release (which this is, BTW) I expected a more fully realized surround presentation/mix, and not simply a rehash of the existing mix for the movie.

The only time the center channel is used in a discrete way is for bits of dialog and effects from the movie. Enya's voice is anything but discrete; it is pretty much evenly spread across all five speakers! The rears are used for ambience only, yes, but this is not naturally recorded ambience.

In short, it definitely IS a fake surround mix using post-processing to "add" ambience". There is no implication; that's exactly what it is. Still, it's not bad. In fact, it is quite good! It's not your typical Silverline fake surround... I mean, actual care was taken here, but for the most part, the rears are the same as the fronts, with a bit of delay and reverb added for good measure. However, it is certainly not as good as I was hoping for.

vancouver said:
frank, just curious. I notice you have a picture of a B&o sub. Is that your sub? If so I didnt think that B&O could play DVD Audio...am I wrong?
Well spotted. B&O could not play DVD Audio. In my setup I use a Pio DVD-A player, have the 2-ch output connected to by B&O to play through my speakers and sub. Sounds great, the only thing I am missing is the DVD-A surround.

Frank

HiRez4Me said:
Well spotted. B&O could not play DVD Audio. In my setup I use a Pio DVD-A player, have the 2-ch output connected to by B&O to play through my speakers and sub. Sounds great, the only thing I am missing is the DVD-A surround.

Frank

Cool. I love the look of B&). infact when adding something to my system it needs to look as good as it sounds.

There no reason to not have the best of both worlds..I have little B&O in my system too...try to get the best of both worlds.:brew

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 278
I don't think the surround is "fake", but to me the surround is the same as was presented for the film -- i.e. rears for ambience. The only differences for this DVD-A are: (a) full extended score; (b) lossless 24 bit DVD-A resolution.

I just interviewed DVD-Audio Director Spence Chrislu from the Warner distributed labels and this was definitely done from the multitracks, *not* a repurposing of a stereo mix. 24/48 was also the original session rate, not a downconversion. Spence was also the DVD-Audio Director for the Jackson Browne "Running On Empty" and Talking Heads releases (among many others).

I highly, *highly* recommend this release, and hope it sells well so we can get the next two installments!

Felix E. Martinez said:
I just interviewed DVD-Audio Director Spence Chrislu from the Warner distributed labels and this was definitely done from the multitracks, *not* a repurposing of a stereo mix.
You have GOT to be kidding me! If this is true, this is the lamest surround mix from multi-track release I've ever heard. Brilliant fidelity, yes. Brilliant music, yes. Brilliant surround mix? No way!

I have to admit that I have now sat & listened to this, and it is discrete.
It's a pi55poor mix but definitely discrete.

I think the mix is a good representation of the conductor's POV with the orchestra laid out in front and slightly around the listening position in an inverted "U" shape. It's not Flaming Lips, but at reference level, I found it to be an enchanting 3 hours of listening! It also reconfirmed to me that the entire LOTR suite is one of the greatest scores in film history.

I rec'd an advance(?) copy of The Two Towers: The Complete Recordings. I question "advance," b/c I thought this had already been released, but I rec'd a test pressing. Hate when that happens ;)

Bottom line - incredible! Highly recommended!

Those disappointed with the subtle use of the surrounds in Fellowship should be pleased with Two Towers. The surrounds are about 2-3db louder. Not a night and day difference, but I did notice it. Perhaps Peter Mew is reading these forums...?

Last edited:
Back