dts on a dvd-audio disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diatonis

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I accidentally burned a dvd-audio disc using my DTS encoded wav files and not the stereo versions (my own music).

I put the disc in my dvd-audio player (Denon 2910) and to my surprise my receiver decoded it as DTS, which is what i'd expect it to do. I didn't even think that it would work but it sounds just fine. :sun

You can do it :)
Diatonis

This working always depends on the player.
As you wrote a DVD-A using the DTS-WAV file, I suspect you also have the digital outputs connected, or else the 2910 is set to decode the DTS internally to PCM?

This method is never guaranteed to work though, and DTS don't recommend this for use on any commercial discs.

Hi Neil,

To listen to dvd-audio I have to switch the inputs from analog to digital (spdif). I've got hours of dts on a single dvd-audio disc. I tried it on a DV-45A player as well with no problems.

These are straight DTS-WAV files, with the 16/44.1 stereo header, yes?
Written to a DVD-A as stereo PCM?
Can you please give some extra details on this, as even according to DTS it's a fudge, and player dependant.
If you can please give authoring info, I will try here on all 3 of our machines.

neil wilkes said:
These are straight DTS-WAV files, with the 16/44.1 stereo header, yes?
Written to a DVD-A as stereo PCM?
Can you please give some extra details on this, as even according to DTS it's a fudge, and player dependant.
If you can please give authoring info, I will try here on all 3 of our machines.
Wouldn't it be played 10% (played at 48kHz, sampled at 44.1kHz) too fast then?

joopv said:
Wouldn't it be played 10% (played at 48kHz, sampled at 44.1kHz) too fast then?
No, I don't think so. DVD-A supports 44.1 kHz and this is why it works. On DVD-V it would not work from a 44.1 wav (unless recoded).

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of this combination :cool:

Hi Neil and all,

Yes the files are dts wav files at 44.1kHz 16-bit created using Minnetonka's DTS CD encoder. I'm using chrome to author the dvd-a disc - with each album getting it's own group etc... nothing special. Both the players are connected via spdif. I've tried the AC3 files without any success, they mute:eek:

:alienrob:

Back