Encoding DVD-A to SQ or QS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan Berichon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Maybe this isn't the proper forum for this post, but I don't know where else to put it.

Anyhow, I've decided to do a school project of mine in one of the vintage quadraphonic matrix systems. I've been mostly using SQ vinyl sources, but there are a few "modern" surround titles that I'd like to use in this project.

So far I've already encoded ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" to SQ, and the results weren't bad. (I recorded the analog outputs into a multi-channel sound card, and then encoded using Adobe Audition and the sessions provided by Lucanu here. The encoding actually works pretty well!)

What I'm wondering though, is if QS would be the better system to use in this case.

I know this may seem a bit off the wall, and I agree that it is! That's just the kind of twisted person I am!

If anyone would like to offer any suggestions of DVD-A (or SACD) titles that they think would encode well into either SQ or QS, please let me know! So far I've found that the more "discrete" mixes have an easier time with SQ then the "ambient" mixes (although I'm sure this isn't news to many of us.)

I've been putting together a podcast consisting entirely of SQ encoded material, including what I've recorded off my DVD-A and SACD titles.

When I get it finished, I'll share it with everyone here. It's really turning into something else!

The pod cast is done! Although I wasn't able to use 100% SQ sources, it's about 70%.

(The remaining 30% or so is just regular stereo, but I tried to pick songs that decoded well in SQ.) There are a few stereo tracks that I know are available in SQ, but I didn't have access to the SQ sources. I even processed the jingles to make them sound interesting through an SQ decoder!

Some of the stuff is from DVD-A disks encoded into SQ. The Elton John tracks along with the ELP cuts are all SQ encoded from their DVD-A counterparts, and they decode pretty well I must say

My pod cast is currently rotating with several other students'. You'll know mine because of all the "62 KGW" Jingles that are sprinkled through out. Mine runs for about 2 hours, and has "perfect" segues. Heh heh heh...

Here's the link to listen if you are interested:

http://24.21.86.171:8000/listen.m3u

(For what it's worth, the "station" only runs from 7:30am - 11:00 pm PSD)

Enjoy!

Back