The Last Waltz DVD-A vs DVD-V

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Lorax

My apologies if this is not the correct forum to post this in, but I was curious to which copy I should buy if I'm only able to buy one. I could not tell if this issue has been addressed yet. It would seem to me that the video would be better to have, simply because I could watch it as opposed to just listening to it, but I did not know if the audio quality would be better on the DVD-A release. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Well, if you want to see the video, the choice is a no-brainer. If you're willing to sacrafice the video in favor of better audio, the DVD-A is a good choice, but I would say that this title does not benefit as greatly from the enhanced audio resolution as many other titles have. Oh yeah, it's an improvement, for sure, just to a lesser degree as I've heard elsewhere. Bottom line, if you want the video, get the DVD. Unless you're a huge fan of the album, I don't think you'll miss the sonic improvement the DVD-A will offer you.

I had the same issue and ended up with the DVD-V just because I could watch the concert as well. The sound quality is quite good on the DVD-V but I would guess that it would be better on the DVD-A. The DVD-A also has extra tracks. I would also like to hear from someone who has both versions. There have been a number of times that I have had the DVD-A disc in my hands but have put it back and chosen something else just because I have the DVD-V version of this title.

I just bought the DVD-A. I'll probably buy the DVD-V at some point, but I'm just a foo' when it comes to any hi-rez audio releases. :p

Thank you. I figured it was a no brainer, but I did not know how much greater the sound quality was on the DVD-A. Also, the DVD-A is more expensive. I thought there were additional tracks on the DVD-A, but was not sure.

Jonathan

Heh, funny post topic... something I went through myself about 6 mos ago.

The choice is easy, actually - buy the movie first. Not only is it an excellent film, gorgeous in sound an photography (by an all-star team of cinematographers), but it's got two exceptional commentary tracks. The first, by Marty C and Robbie it fun, certainly the reason I was excited. However, the second commentary, by everybody from Ronnie Hawkins to Levon Helm to Irvin Winkler (who never even saw the film!) is a total blast, and a really big surprise.

The 5.1 is really good, and the pic is top notch.

Now, if you are a big Band fan, you'll probably want full versions of the songs, and the DVD-A is certainly really nice to listen to. It's 48khz 5.1 - not a huge leap from the DVD, but with additional performances and the added sonic clarity it's definitely worth owning. If you're silly, there's also the 4 disc CD boxed set that's got the entire show (the DVD-A is an edit from this set). In an ideal world, I'd have rather had a 2-disc DVD-A with all the tunes on the 4cds. But, hey, you can't have everything, and the format's struggling as it is...

Anyhoo, that's my thoughts - you'll enjoy whatever title you buy.

I have both versions, and would highly recommend both to any fan. The video is directed by Martin Scorsese and is generally considered one of the best concert films ever. The content varies in each version (see link below). If I could only have one, I would in this case go with the DVD-Video, because of the excellent choreography, interviews, etc. If you just want the music, the DVD-audio has no comparison.

theband.hiof.no/albums/la...audio.html

...yeah, the dance number ROCKS!!!

I think he means "cinematography"... :)

One comment which has not been made is that I seem to remember that the mixes differ - the instrument placement in the film version really has to relate to what is on picture. Obviously for the DVD this is not a concern, and I seem to remember guitar parts which were hard right on the DVD-V were more centred on the DVD-A (Can't remember which song). I did start out on a comparative review some time back, but I got bogged down....

FWIW - the UK PAL DVD has some instances of bad MPEG encoding in it - during Rick Danko's solo chat watch his hat turn "solid" when he puts his head down - ugh!

I'd like to thank the OP for asking this as I've been wondering about. Thing is I was given the DVD as a Christmas present so the DVD-A would be an add-on. I believe Red Trumpet has this title as one of there specials, but I can't recall the price.

Here's a NEW twist:
I have all 3 versions
DVDA, DVD, & HD/5.1 TV version on my DVR
DVDA, is the best, for audio
In my Acura TL/ELS/5.1 surround, the Staple singers, sound like they're in my back seat; it's THAT clear!
The HD/5.1 version rocks as well, as the DVD version; obviously, picture quality, on the HD version is superior.
Can't have one without the other!:banana::)

Back