‘Concert For George’ is the next release in the SDE Surround Series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the new Atmos mix on the BD-A vs streaming? My disc was shipped and hopefully arrives sometime next week.
i'm just at the tail end of a nearly 3hr long zoom thing i've been watching with the rhythm players of Steely Dan hosted by Steve Bailey with Victor Wooten, Chuck Rainey, Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd, Anthony Jackson, Freddie Washington, Tom Barney, Keith Carlock, Dennis Chambers and Elliot Scheiner jumped in later on. then i'll give Concert For George a spin! 🙂😋

81C16F63-025A-4098-BE41-01E4E940A1FC.jpeg

How is the new Atmos mix on the BD-A vs streaming? My disc was shipped and hopefully arrives sometime next week.
well nobody round here bought it hoping for a Surround sound extravaganza, right? 👀

there's a lot of doubling up going on with replication of Front channel elements in the Rears. sometimes a polite ripple of applause is pushed towards the Rears, the Surround Backs seem to be mainly ambience. sometimes something feels like it might be going on elsewhere other than the Fronts but i'm not entirely convinced that certain something's not going on elsewhere as well. Something in the way it moves. or rather doesn't 😅

sound quality's great and its a lovely concert, although having watched it before i think i'd really rather see what's happening again now as well i think.. from a Surround point of view its barely more immersive than the majority of concert videos and certainly isn't the kind of discrete Surround showcase of a 5.1 concert mix by say Elliot Scheiner. ah well, i'm still enjoying it, can never get enough of George's music ✌️🇬🇧🎸

4BD3A7AE-AA2D-411E-8D8F-6507E39D16ED.jpeg

F06CF535-212D-4CB9-95D4-CD510158E175.jpeg

372FBF30-AED9-42E8-8088-300633376545.jpeg

well nobody round here bought it hoping for a Surround sound extravaganza, right? 👀

there's a lot of doubling up going on with replication of Front channel elements in the Rears. sometimes a polite ripple of applause is pushed towards the Rears, the Surround Backs seem to be mainly ambience. sometimes something feels like it might be going on elsewhere other than the Fronts but i'm not entirely convinced that certain something's not going on elsewhere as well. Something in the way it moves. or rather doesn't 😅

sound quality's great and its a lovely concert, although having watched it before i think i'd really rather see what's happening again now as well i think.. from a Surround point of view its barely more immersive than the majority of concert videos and certainly isn't the kind of discrete Surround showcase of a 5.1 concert mix by say Elliot Scheiner. ah well, i'm still enjoying it, can never get enough of George's music ✌️🇬🇧🎸

View attachment 89795

View attachment 89797

View attachment 89796
Adam, that's why I ordered the CRAFT RECORDINGS' 2 RBCD/2 BD~V set of the Concert for George a few weeks ago, anticipating that the SDE ATMOS release would be little more than you describe ..... double stereo, ambient and applause in rears.

And the Craft Recording set is price wise on par with SDE's ATMOS release including s/h to the states. Worth investigating if you want visuals of both the Theatrical cut and COMPLETE CONCERT BD~V in stunning 1080p resolution and DTS~HD MA 5.1 sonics!

View attachment 89795

View attachment 89797

View attachment 89796
Very disappointed to read that the mix is so sedate and non-immersive!

Adam, that's why I ordered the CRAFT RECORDINGS' 2 RBCD/2 BD~V set of the Concert for George a few weeks ago, anticipating that the SDE ATMOS release would be little more than you describe ..... double stereo, ambient and applause in rears.

And the Craft Recording set is price wise on par with SDE's ATMOS release including s/h to the states. Worth investigating if you want visuals of both the Theatrical cut and COMPLETE CONCERT BD~V in stunning 1080p resolution and DTS~HD MA 5.1 sonics!
Please pardon my ignorance but is the Craft Recordings version different than the 2 CD/2 BD version sold on Amazon and reviewed here? I went to CR's site and there wasn't much of a description.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Concert-for-George-Blu-ray/19429/#Review

Please pardon my ignorance but is the Craft Recordings version different than the 2 CD/2 BD version sold on Amazon and reviewed here? I went to CR's site and there wasn't much of a description.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Concert-for-George-Blu-ray/19429/#Review
James, I can assure you the 2 RBCD/2 BD~V Theatrical cut/Full Concert [each concert version on a separate BD~V] are two different animals altogether than the stand alone BD~A [ATMOS/STEREO/no 5.1]!

Ironically, if you buy that 4 disc set from Deep Discount as we speak, with the 15% off coupon it's even cheaper than the stand alone SDE BD~A Atmos/Stereo version.

And the Craft Recordings 4 disc CONCERT FOR GEORGE set also comes in a nice sturdy slipcase with a 30 page booklet and IMO, IS THE BETTER DEAL!

https://www.deepdiscount.com/concer...ncert-for-george-2-blu-rays2-cds/888072030039

Last edited:
The TYA, absolute best of the year so far, for content and sound quality.
And the TYA inclusion of SO MANY audio options in my book make it an absolute winner as well. Concert For George doesn't even have a 5.1 option and again, the Dolby ATMOS mix is encoded at a VERY low level. Drat! If you don't have the Craft Recordings Concert for George 2 RBCD/2 BD~V set GRAB IT. Spectacular package and very highly recommended.

Back