‘Concert For George’ is the next release in the SDE Surround Series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least you're still on CLOUD NINE, Markie with those spectacular DSOTM and TYA ATMOS releases ..... so in effect, TWO OUTTA THREE AIN'T BAD!

George Harrison - Cloud nine - Vinil Records
Ralphie, I have the Craft CFG, with the SDE CFG still stuck in Jamaica, Queens. I guess they don’t wear sorting hats in that part of NYC!

And no, although I own the Immersion box AND the SACD, I didn’t shell out the big bucks for DSOTM (heck, you only get one set of marbles in this life).

I looked at the price and said, “I’d do anything for love but I won’t do that!”

Just played the SDE Atmos version, so very dissapointing, sounds like double stereo. Don't the mixers listen to good atmos mixes and say I can do that or even better? What the Hell?! Will double think future releases that aren't done by well known Atmos mixers!!!!

Some say double stereo and some say like the streaming mix. Neither seems like you're on stage? A mistake, possibly?
@mac444 Paul Hicks mixed it. Mixer of all recent Harrison stuff.

Some say double stereo and some say like the streaming mix. Neither seems like you're on stage? A mistake, possibly?
I don’t recall about a ‘you’re on stage mix’
; what are folks saying about that specifically?
I’d expect that to sound good (interesting.).
edit- believe I mis-understood your meaning, need my coffee!

Last edited:
I don’t recall about a ‘you’re on stage mix’
; what are folks saying about that specifically? I’d expect that to sound good (interesting.)
@omega4 quoted some of the relevant comments from Hicks on the SDE site back in post #24, including this: "the format is [typically] where you’re looking at the band, but for this Blu-ray you’re standing where the singers are—so it’s nice and immersive."

@PaulatSDE also said that Hicks "treat[ed] the theatrical version and the blu-ray audio version differently, with the later more immersive and a lot bolder than the original 5.1 mix (the one on the previous DVD/blu-ray video releases)."

So . . . yeah, either the Pauls' idea of "a lot bolder" and "more immersive" (relative to your typical concert mix) is different than some folks here, or else, as @popshop surmised, there's been some mistake.

Regardless, as @fredblue allowed, it's nice to have a record of the entire concert in a high-res format. I still can't help feeling the advance hype about the Atmos mix was a little misleading, but given what SDE are doing overall for the cause of immersive audio, I'm not gonna hold one misstep against them.

Last edited:
Never forget there is a financial interest at play in these releases. Keep that in mind when you read descriptions of how wonderful they are.

@humprof agreed.
Seems pretty simple. If the orchestra is in the rear speakers it would have the feeling of the listener being on stage. (Visually, they were behind the band)
If not...I'd say a mistake is more likely than an inaccurate description from the Pauls.
I'm doing this same idea with an Ian Cooke orchestra performance so I'm quite curious.

@humprof agreed.
Seems pretty simple. If the orchestra is in the rear speakers it would have the feeling of the listener being on stage. (Visually, they were behind the band)
If not...I'd say a mistake is more likely than an inaccurate description from the Pauls.
I'm doing this same idea with an Ian Cooke orchestra performance so I'm quite curious.
Ooh...New Ian Cooke surround music coming?? Not to derail the thread, but do you have more info?

@omega4 quoted some of the relevant comments from Hicks on the SDE site back in post #24, including this: "the format is [typically] where you’re looking at the band, but for this Blu-ray you’re standing where the singers are—so it’s nice and immersive."

@PaulatSDE also said that Hicks "treat[ed] the theatrical version and the blu-ray audio version differently, with the later more immersive and a lot bolder than the original 5.1 mix (the one on the previous DVD/blu-ray video releases)."

So . . . yeah, either the Pauls' idea of "a lot bolder" and "more immersive" (relative to your typical concert mix) is different than some folks here, or else, as @popshop surmised, there's been some mistake.

Regardless, as @fredblue allowed, it's nice to have a record of the entire concert in a high-res format. I still can't help feeling the advance hype about the Atmos mix was a little misleading, but given what SDE are doing overall for the cause of immersive audio, I'm not gonna hold one misstep against them.
It would be nice if @PaulatSDE can confirm if the Atmos mix on the final product is the one that was promised when this release was announced. As I mentioned before, the SDE Atmos mix seems identical to the streaming mix. Nevermind that there is nothing daring or immersive about the Atmos mix.

The prior 5.1 mix is more discrete and a more enjoyable listening experience.

James, I can assure you the 2 RBCD/2 BD~V Theatrical cut/Full Concert [each concert version on a separate BD~V] are two different animals altogether than the stand alone BD~A [ATMOS/STEREO/no 5.1]!

Ironically, if you buy that 4 disc set from Deep Discount as we speak, with the 15% off coupon it's even cheaper than the stand alone SDE BD~A Atmos/Stereo version.

And the Craft Recordings 4 disc CONCERT FOR GEORGE set also comes in a nice sturdy slipcase with a 30 page booklet and IMO, IS THE BETTER DEAL!

https://www.deepdiscount.com/concer...ncert-for-george-2-blu-rays2-cds/888072030039
IMO not only is it abetter deal it is a better audio experience and you get video too! Too bad the Atmos mix is a wasted opportunity

On 29 November 2002, one year after his passing, Olivia Harrison and Eric Clapton organised a performance tribute to celebrate the life and music of George Harrison. Held at London’s Royal Albert Hall, the momentous evening featured George’s songs, and music he loved, performed by artists including Eric Clapton, Joe Brown, Dhani Harrison, Jools Holland, Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Monty Python, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ravi & Anoushka Shankar, Ringo Starr and more.

Concert For George captures stunning renditions of some of the most significant music of the 20th century, including ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps‘ (featuring Clapton on guitar, McCartney on piano and Starr on drums), ‘Taxman‘ (performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) and ‘The Inner Light‘ (covered by Jeff Lynne and Anoushka Shankar). Lynne, Harrison’s longtime friend and collaborator, produced the audio elements of the concert, while Clapton oversaw the entire proceedings as Musical Director.

In collaboration with Craft Recordings, SDE is proud to exclusively offer the brand new Dolby Atmos Mix of Concert For George on limited edition blu-ray audio.

Read More Here-
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news...-the-next-release-in-the-sde-surround-series/
I received my SDE Concert for George ATMOS order a few days ago. The artist line-up was fantastic, and the choice of songs very good. Sadly, i cannot say the same for the new mix, it is essentially a stereo mix with occasional crowd noise in the surround and overhead speakers. It is the only ATMOS disc I've acquired so far with which i am truly disappointed.

Back