Steven Wilson ‘Please Mr Wilson Atmos me these three’

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabwylie1968

Just listened to Seeds of Love , and very happy with it .

Was thinking of a diverse top 3 albums that I love (maybe ones he hasn’t already mentioned Kate Bush, Talk Talk, etc) that would be great to have Atmos mix of .

• Floodland - Sisters of Mercy
  • Leftism - Leftfield
  • Women and Children First - Van Halen

How the heck can someone mix the first 4 Van Halen albums in surround with only one guitar, bass and drums? I think it would be a wasted opportunity and I’d rather had one of their later efforts or another band altogether.
Although different bands and styles...one name for you proves Van Halen could be mixed in Surround...RUSH

How the heck can someone mix the first 4 Van Halen albums in surround with only one guitar, bass and drums?

I think there's enough happening in "Runnin' With The Devil" to do a decent surround mix. The opening sound effect could fly over from front-to-back. From there, one could set up a forward-based soundstage with the rhythm section spread across the front channels, lead vocal in the center, and Eddie's guitar in front left (matching the original stereo mix). The rear channels could be used for drum kit extensions, 'in-the-studio' ambience/echo (it'd definitely be cool to have the guitar reverb pushed out into the right rear speaker, since it was placed in the right channel in stereo), backing vocals, and--if one were to be really adventurous--the second guitar part that comes from the right channel in the stereo mix.

I think SW would do great things with (in either 5.1 or Atmos):

Doves - The Last Broadcast
Procol Harum - A Salty Dog
LZ - In Through The Out Door
The Cure - Disintegration
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
I'm a big fan of The Cure but I have never loved Disintegration as much as most seem to. Partially because it is quite a dense sound. So, yes, I would love to hear it remixed with more (literal and figurative) space between the elements. (I didn't really notice Fascination Street very much until I heard the remixed extended version, which is fantastic.) Of course, would love any Cure in surround, even just good old 5.1.

How the heck can someone mix the first 4 Van Halen albums in surround with only one guitar, bass and drums? I think it would be a wasted opportunity and I’d rather had one of their later efforts or another band altogether.
I am editing an upmix of their debut now. Done form the 24/192 files. Great stuff.

I only had one album in my list , not four ;). However it would seem unlikely (although not impossible) that the 1st four albums were mixed from 4 track masters . If that was the case , yeah I agree completely(y)

I think there's enough happening in "Runnin' With The Devil" to do a decent surround mix. The opening sound effect could fly over from front-to-back. From there, one could set up a forward-based soundstage with the rhythm section spread across the front channels, lead vocal in the center, and Eddie's guitar in front left (matching the original stereo mix). The rear channels could be used for drum kit extensions, 'in-the-studio' ambience/echo (it'd definitely be cool to have the guitar reverb pushed out into the right rear speaker, since it was placed in the right channel in stereo), backing vocals, and--if one were to be really adventurous--the second guitar part that comes from the right channel in the stereo mix.
I would think that while it wouldn’t be full on 5 channel mania for VH’s first albums, with some creativity I think a good mix could really open up the sound field and place the band right in the room with you. Drums could wrap from front right to right sides, EVH could wrap from left front to left rear. DLR imaged in the center (LCR with some delay to project him to center). And as @sjcorne mentioned about being a little adventurous with the mix. I wouldn’t expect Atmos from these albums though LOL.

I think SW would do great things with (in either 5.1 or Atmos):

Doves - The Last Broadcast
Procol Harum - A Salty Dog
LZ - In Through The Out Door
The Cure - Disintegration
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

+1000 to Seventh Son!!! One of my favourite albums, not Iron Maiden first one for me, however that atmospheric sounds and the syntesizer would be amazing in surround. I have Dance Of Death DVD-Audio and, although it's not their best album, the mix is really great.

+1000 to Seventh Son!!! One of my favourite albums, not Iron Maiden first one for me, however that atmospheric sounds and the syntesizer would be amazing in surround. I have Dance Of Death DVD-Audio and, although it's not their best album, the mix is really great.

I would kill for a good surround mix of Powerslave, saw them live on that tour. Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Powerslave are 2 of my favorite songs and would be great in surround.

I would kill for a good surround mix of Powerslave, saw them live on that tour. Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Powerslave are 2 of my favorite songs and would be great in surround.

Anything from Powerslave on would definitely work, as they really started layering their sound and adding new elements with that album.

Anything from Powerslave on would definitely work, as they really started layering their sound and adding new elements with that album.
Wouldn't mind if they did stuff from before Powerslave, Killers is the album I got to know them and is still one of my favorite Maiden albums. :rocks
Love Clive Burr's stile of drumming.

Last edited:
Back