‘The Beatles: Get Back’ Docu-Series’ Blu-ray, DVD Release is Delayed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From Bestclassicbands.com:

The countdown continues for the DVD and Blu-ray editions of the docu-series, The Beatles: Get Back. Director Peter Jackson’s acclaimed work premiered over three days on Nov. 25-26-27, 2021 during Thanksgiving weekend, on Disney+. The home versions, originally announced for Feb. 8 in the U.S., have been postponed, according to the official store on the Beatles’ website. The U.K. date was originally listed for Feb. 28, which caused some head scratching among fans as to why there was a three-week discrepancy, with many wondering why the title was rushed for home release so soon after its streaming debut.

As of Feb. 1, neither country had an official release date. A brief note on the Beatles’ store reads, “The release date for the Get Back DVD and Blu-ray has been postponed. This item will ship on or around the new release date once announced.”

The Beatles’ legendary 1969 rooftop performance was presented on IMAX screens on Jan. 30 for its anniversary.

The SuperDeluxeEdition website writes “Jackson revealed that he would love to offer an extended cut of the full Get Back documentary that would add three to four hours of footage, including full length performance clips and ‘important conversations’ that deserve to be heard,” even urging fans to petition Disney and Apple Corps Ltd.

The film’s presentation on Disney+ received near-unanimous acclaim, with a 94% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. In an interview that was first published online on Nov. 11 with The New York Times, two weeks before it debuted on Disney+, the director, who had unprecedented access to some 60 hours of previously unseen film during the past four years, denied that his work is “a whitewash,” to paint over the long held belief that the January 1969 footage of the Beatles depicted a band in crisis.

“You see these four great friends, great musicians, who just lock in and develop these songs, and you see it all onscreen,” Jackson told interviewer Ben Sisario of the Times.

“It’s like going back in a time machine,” he said in this clip.

The fact that I already saw it on Disney+ takes any urgency to hold the blu-ray in my hand away.
I'm sure waiting sucks for those that haven't got to see it yet. It's release is inevitable so at least you know it's coming.
I'll bet it comes out before PF Animals :)
A cure for covid will happen before we get Animals in 5.1 😂😅😜

There are reports an issue with the audio caused the delay. (Probably a complete remanufacture is required)

And this piece from DigitalBits.com confirms it:
Now then... Disney has informed us today that their 2/8 Blu-ray and DVD release of the Peter Jackson documentary The Beatles: Get Back is being delayed. Apparently, the studio caught an audio glitch in the release at the last minute and needs to correct it. So just be aware of the delay, and we’ll post updates here direct from the studio when they reschedule the title with a new street date.

Now then... Disney has informed us today that their 2/8 Blu-ray and DVD release of the Peter Jackson documentary The Beatles: Get Back is being delayed. Apparently, the studio caught an audio glitch in the release at the last minute and needs to correct it. So just be aware of the delay, and we’ll post updates here direct from the studio when they reschedule the title with a new street date.

Wait...they actually caught it before it shipped and wasted the time of thousands of disappointed buyers?

That's not how it's supposed to work!

I wonder if The Beatles have to go to the back of the queue now for disc production... ;)

So will there be an extended directors cut? I thought I saw a thread saying there would be 4 or so extra hours but then I saw Peter Jackson asking consumers to ask Disney to let him do a directors cut?

So will there be an extended directors cut? I thought I saw a thread saying there would be 4 or so extra hours but then I saw Peter Jackson asking consumers to ask Disney to let him do a directors cut?
As of now? No. Disney hasn’t given it the green light - it doesn’t even exist, so it’s not as though it’s ready to go even if it gets the green light.

So it appears if it happens, it won’t be anytime soon. Anyone holding off on buying the 8 hr version thinking a director’s cut will come out in a year or something is going to be disappointed.

It’s hard to say if the complete Rooftop Performance will be released anytime soon. But it’s Apple and Disney so I wouldn’t hold my breath...

Last edited:
Looks like we will be waiting a little longer...

From The Digital Bits....

On a related note, we still don’t have an official revised street date for Disney’s audio-corrected Blu-ray release of The Beatles: Get Back – Collector’s Edition. However Bits readers have been informed via email that: “Due to these supply chain issues, the release date for this item has again been delayed to the summer of 2022.” So adjust your plans accordingly.

On a related note, we still don’t have an official revised street date for Disney’s audio-corrected Blu-ray release of The Beatles: Get Back – Collector’s Edition. However Bits readers have been informed via email that: “Due to these supply chain issues, the release date for this item has again been delayed to the summer of 2022.” So adjust your plans accordingly.

So as far as we know there will be no Native UHD4K release? Hmmmm!

I'm good. After waiting for the DVD I found a digital version online. Disney has lost the momentum in releasing this. Most people have already seen it and moved on.

Amazon just cancelled my order after asking me to approve the delay twice. What a bummer.
Oh well, at least I've already watched it once on Disney+.

July 12th maybe?

According to TheDigitalBits.com:
And finally, it’s looking (from retail sources) like the revised street date for Disney’s The Beatles: Get Back documentary on Blu-ray may be 7/12, but keep in mind this is still subject to change. You’ll recall the title was originally to have been released on 2/8, but was recalled due to an issue with the audio.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/051222-1400

Back