‘The Beatles: Get Back’ Docu-Series’ Blu-ray, DVD Release is Delayed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty interesting review of the new Blu-Ray set:
Yeah, a head-scratcher to be sure… I thought that things looked pretty darn good, if not amazing, on the Disney+ version. I can’t tell if it’s being suggested that what is on the Blu Ray is different from that (and worse quality), but if that’s true it’s hard to imagine why?

And the new addition of a 7.1 layer, and an adamant proclamation that it smokes the Atmos too? Things that make you go “hmm”.

Will be curious to see what QQers think when it’s out…

Yeah, a head-scratcher to be sure… I thought that things looked pretty darn good, if not amazing, on the Disney+ version. I can’t tell if it’s being suggested that what is on the Blu Ray is different from that (and worse quality), but if that’s true it’s hard to imagine why?

No, same poor quality as the Disney+ version. Grain/noise reduction to the extreme.

And that's to be expected when you blow up 16mm film then crop it to 16x9
Sigh. Nobody forces you to apply (extreme) DNR on any film source. Leave cropped blown up 16mm film alone! Grain is good for you. BTW, you absolutely shouldn’t touch historical footage at all. Don’t crop it, keep the original aspect ratio.

BTW, you absolutely shouldn’t touch historical footage at all. Don’t crop it, keep the original aspect ratio.

I generally agree, but wasn't Let It Be intended for theatrical exhibition from the beginning? If so, that would imply that it was composed with cropping in mind.

(From 1954 or so on, most non-scope theatrical films exposed a 4:3 frame but composed for cropping to 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 or whatever. It's a weird way to do things, but hung on for decades.)

I generally agree, but wasn't Let It Be intended for theatrical exhibition from the beginning? If so, that would imply that it was composed with cropping in mind.

It was originally planned as a television special. The switch to a film came about with the move to Apple.

It was originally planned as a television special. The switch to a film came about with the move to Apple.

Ah, thank you.

Here in the US, even some things primarily intended for TV were still shot with theatrical cropping in mind as they would be shown theatrically in other parts of the world. Several months back I wound up watching a bunch of old ABC Movies of the Week and noticed a LOT of head and leg room. They really did look better composed when blown up. Ditto McMillan and Wife, which looked best at about 1.66:1.

Not that this has any bearing on LIB, I just find the convention weirdly fascinating.

And the near-universal tendency to crop and/or stretch things that really, really really should not be is infuriating.

Did anyone see it at an IMAX theatre recently?
What did it look like at that resolution?
If IMAX could do it BIG without problems, surely a 4K version should've been possible but from what I've read so far, they're not going to release one EVER!

If IMAX could do it BIG without problems, surely a 4K version should've been possible but from what I've read so far, they're not going to release one EVER!
I think that’s a Disney thing. i believe they’ve basically ceased doing 4K Bluray releases.

It's available for streaming in 4K, so there's certainly no technical reason against it.

I don't think that's accurate. All the Star Wars theatrical films are readily available on UHD 4K Blu-ray.
Releases on UHD beyond Marvel and Star Wars are rare from Disney. They did the same with 3D despite the movies being released in the Cinemas in 3D. Call me old fashioned, but streaming sucks on many levels. Less bitrate for video and lower sound quality (It's not lossless audio in multichannel)....not to mention titles regularly get deleted on a whim. Just charge me an extra $10 per release and put it out on UHD so I can watch things in the best quality, with the best sound and can always be available in my movie library.

Releases on UHD beyond Marvel and Star Wars are rare from Disney. They did the same with 3D despite the movies being released in the Cinemas in 3D. Call me old fashioned, but streaming sucks on many levels. Less bitrate for video and lower sound quality (It's not lossless audio in multichannel)....not to mention titles regularly get deleted on a whim. Just charge me an extra $10 per release and put it out on UHD so I can watch things in the best quality, with the best sound and can always be available in my movie library.
They don’t care about the one time extra $10 revenue. They want you to spend your money every month on streaming. The entertainment industry’s priority is moving you from the ownership model, not quality.

Sigh. Nobody forces you to apply (extreme) DNR on any film source. Leave cropped blown up 16mm film alone! Grain is good for you. BTW, you absolutely shouldn’t touch historical footage at all. Don’t crop it, keep the original aspect ratio.
I would agree with you Francois, but seeing that old stuff when it's unretouched reminds me of how old I really am.

Ambiguous language. 🤷‍♂️
I was typing in phone on the go so didn’t have the time or desire to go into excruciating detail.

Nevertheless, it’s only ambiguous if your objective is to split hairs - not understand why there isn’t likely a 4K bluray.

Picked this Bluray up ...just yesterday.

Liner notes Said , the Rooftop Performance is disc 3 ,......so I went straight TO DISC THREE !!!

Lot's of banter and mildly strange things going on in the studio in the beginning...and it's very much a family affair.

Then we finally get to the Rooftop 🎶 Music . Fwiw this is The Beatles Live Last Concert .

They Qued up the tapes downstairs in the Studio ,and the band began to play....

Five, or maybe six tunes got banged out before they were told to shut down due to noise complaints.
mostly from narrow minded people of course, but they interviewed various people (various ages) assembled out on the sidewalk and all but one ,we're positive .
I believe 3 of the performances became the final mix !... for the Let It Be album. And the sound in 5.0 (on 7.1DD) was nice and clean ,but tepid surround for 5.0.

I think it being Jan 29th !!....and a 🥶 Cold Wintery day ,...... those outside got something unique to warm up with.

and Now I have 2 other disc's to preview.

Back