10 Most Underrated Surround Albums on Digital Formats ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to the Quad Goddess for thinking up this thread :bowing:

I’ll work on a list in a bit, but first, some of these titles maybe get the “Rodney Dangerfield” treatment because they’ve become so darn rare and/or expensive,
Like the Ritenour, Bianco, Botti, Dominoes & even the Parsons of Beefalo’s list.
A regular “best of” type of list is darn near impossible for me; but I think it will be fun to come up with 10 for this one!

View attachment 53461
Bianco? As in Matt Bianco? Did they have a surround release?

Some of these titles maybe get the “Rodney Dangerfield” treatment because they’ve become so darn rare and/or expensive,
Like the Ritenour, Bianco, Botti, Dominoes & even the Parsons of Beefalo’s list.
True but consider this:
I'm sure most these were reasonably priced when they were released. Seems that they were either unknown or got little love. They rarely show up on QQ posts.

Some excellent titles listed upthread... The Mando Diao sounds great. :phones

Here's 10 that are pretty good...

Indigo Girls - All That We Let In SACD
Queen - Greatest Hits DVD
Peter Gabriel - Play DVD
John Lennon - Lennon Legend DVD
Nickel Creek - This Side SACD
Hugo Montenegro - Love Theme From The Godfather/The Good Bad & The Ugly SACD
Sam Cooke - At The Copa SACD
Bjork - Debut DualDisc
Super Furry Animals - Lovekraft SACD
Moloko - Statues SACD

Last edited:
As a cheeky (11.) I'll have to add Clapton's "Back Home"..
even though it's not as strong an album as "Reptile" it still sounds nice (if a bit loud!).

I was going to throw this into the pool but you beat me to it. "Back Home" has probably 5 or so really good tunes, one being friend George's "Love Comes To Everyone" and the entire DVD-A side has an excellent surround mix with great separation, especially the old "background singers in the backs" when needed. I am not sure how difficult this title is to find these days, and it is, afterall, a "DualDisc", but it's really worth tracking down if so inclined.

I was going to throw this into the pool but you beat me to it. "Back Home" has probably 5 or so really good tunes, one being friend George's "Love Comes To Everyone" and the entire DVD-A side has an excellent surround mix with great separation, especially the old "background singers in the backs" when needed. I am not sure how difficult this title is to find these days, and it is, afterall, a "DualDisc", but it's really worth tracking down if so inclined.
My copy is a Limited Edition 2-disc Digi-Pack with 4 guitar picks, a CD and only a DD 5.1 DVD (but the booklet & cover state 5.1 Advanced Resolution)

My copy is a Limited Edition 2-disc Digi-Pack with 4 guitar picks, a CD and only a DD 5.1 DVD (but the booklet & cover state 5.1 Advanced Resolution)
Might be "Advanced Res." because it's 24/48 instead of 16/44.1; I even think some of the early Donald Fagen DVD-A's were labeled like that IIRC. :unsure:

That is strange. I wonder why they did that. Mine is absolutely a DVD-Audio disc as I played it quite a bit in the Acura when it first came out.

I took a quick a look at my digital titles, and these are the ones not mentioned that stood out as being under-rated and/or obscure and good.

1. Superfurryanimals – Love Kraft (SACD)
2. Pere Ubu – The Modern Dance Dualdisc (dualdisc DVD-A)
3. Subotnick – Electronic Works 1 & 2 (DVD-A, DVD-V)
4. Nektar – Journey to the Center of the Eye (SACD)
5. Hooverphonic – No More Sweet Music (dualdisc DVD-V)
6. Medeski, Martin and Wood – Uninvisible (DVD-A)
7. Helmet of Gnats – S/T (SACD)
8. Yazoo –In Your Room (DVD-V)
9. Uriah Heep – Gold from the Byron Era (DVD-V)
10. Cornelius –Five Point One (DVD-V)

OMFG - I had no idea that Uriah Heep had a surround mix! ...now if only I can get hold of a copy. :eek:

That is strange. I wonder why they did that. Mine is absolutely a DVD-Audio disc as I played it quite a bit in the Acura when it first came out.
There have been a number of releases over the years with both DVD-A and DVD-V editions. Another that comes to mind is Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, which had a standalone DVD-A from dts Entertainment and a combo CD/DVD-V on Lava/Atlantic.

Back