HiRez Poll 16 Horsepower - SECRET SOUTH [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of 16 Horsepower - SECRET SOUTH

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
I found out about these from the thread from haikubass mentioned above. (y)

Both this and the Lilium are recommended - if you are interested in "Alternative Country" in surround.

Looks like you can still buy them new :mad:@:

FYI - This link "appears" to be the CD/DVD-A Combo of this - you can never be sure with Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-South-16-Horsepower/dp/B002BW7AB2

I thought this was quite a nice disc as I remember it was a DVD with 48/24 LPCM surround.

Good alt country in the mode of Cracker

Enjoyable disc along with teh Lilium disc.

I just received my CD+DVD Audio copy from Amazon using the above posted link. I checked it out and it is indeed a "real" DVD-Audio disc, with a AUDIO_TS folder, as shown below along with the scans of the front and back. (I haven't played it yet, but will report back when I do).

16 HP Front.jpg
16 HP Back.jpg
16 HP Data.jpg

OK. I figured as long as I had the disc queued up in DVAE, I'd check out one or two of the tracks. WOW! This is a real different experience than our normal fare of classic rock surround stuff. The first track was a bit jarring, but half way in it started to grow on me. It's definately a modern sound. Track Two, the traditional "Wayfaring Stranger" is pretty cool. Take a look at the wav files for that song. You can see that although it's a bit "loud", it's not maxed out, doesn't clip, but the surround mix is quite discrete.

I have to give it more spins before I vote, and it may not be my normal type of tunes, but so far I'm intrigued! :D

Interesting use of the front channels. I like it!

16 HP wav.jpg

Yeah this and the Lilium seem to have been mastered very "loud".

Jon - Out of curiousity are the top two streams the front channels?

Yup! Very cool indeed. To see the channel placement, look in the title bar at the filename. DVD Audio Explorer puts them in the standard order - LF-RF-C-LFE-RS-LS

What's odd on this release is that the LFE appears to be full range. Strange

What's odd on this release is that the LFE appears to be full range. Strange
Seems more like somebody forgot to do a lowpass...
Might go unnoticed if the playback system it self applies a lowpass, but depending on equipment and settings it might sound "off".

I think one or two of Elton John discs had something like that in the Sub channel (DVD-A version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road?)

Take a look at the wav files for that song. You can see that although it's a bit "loud", it's not maxed out, doesn't clip, but the surround mix is quite discrete.

Well, to me that looks quite compressed and limited. :(

Would you care to perform an analysis in MasVis (MasVis)? Then it is possible to appreciate the amount of compression. :)

Back