(1877-08-12) Edison Invents Phonograph

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I rescued a stack of World War I-era Edison discs from my grandmother's house.
She was big on auctions and estate sales.

These were what replaced the early cylinders in the first phonograph format wars.
I've never dropped a needle on one, as you can see and hear them all over YouTube.

Found a 1918 Edison catalog a few years ago to go with them, and a ton of fascinating history on Wiki.
Edison Disc Record - Wikipedia

Edison's technology was superior to the competing Victrolas, but of course, he was his own worst enemy.
How many times has history repeated itself?

Diamond Discs enjoyed their greatest commercial success from the mid-1910s to the early 1920s, with sales peaking in 1920.[5] Although they arguably had better audio fidelity, they were more expensive than, and incompatible with, other makers' products and ultimately failed in the marketplace.

Not least among the factors contributing to their downfall was Thomas Edison's insistence on imposing his own musical tastes on the catalog. As an elderly man who favored old-fashioned "heart" songs and had various idiosyncratic preferences about performance practices, he was increasingly out of touch with most of the record-buying public as the Jazz Age of the 1920s got underway.

IMG_7522.JPG

IMG_7513.JPG

This was the era of the first Hawaiian music & ukulele craze.

IMG_7509.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7507.JPG

I rescued a stack of World War I-era Edison discs from my grandmother's house.
She was big on auctions and estate sales.

These were what replaced the early cylinders in the first phonograph format wars.
I've never dropped a needle on one, as you can see and hear them all over YouTube.

Found a 1918 Edison catalog a few years ago to go with them, and a ton of fascinating history on Wiki.
Edison Disc Record - Wikipedia

Edison's technology was superior to the competing Victrolas, but of course, he was his own worst enemy.
How many times has history repeated itself?

Diamond Discs enjoyed their greatest commercial success from the mid-1910s to the early 1920s, with sales peaking in 1920.[5] Although they arguably had better audio fidelity, they were more expensive than, and incompatible with, other makers' products and ultimately failed in the marketplace.

Not least among the factors contributing to their downfall was Thomas Edison's insistence on imposing his own musical tastes on the catalog. As an elderly man who favored old-fashioned "heart" songs and had various idiosyncratic preferences about performance practices, he was increasingly out of touch with most of the record-buying public as the Jazz Age of the 1920s got underway.

View attachment 82289

View attachment 82290

This was the era of the first Hawaiian music & ukulele craze.

View attachment 82291View attachment 82292

View attachment 82293

R.ebe867998c03bb6d3434f8a6a1f053a5

WELL, WE'VE COME A LONG WAY DAVY!

I used to see cylinders in several antiques and used items stores. I didn't buy any because I had no player.

I bought many disc records (both vertical and lateral), including Edison records. I have modified two turntables to play these records:

- My Collaro Conquest has a plug you turn over to play vertical records.

- My Lenco L-78 has the same plug. It also takes speeds from 10 to 100 rpm.

- I have styli that can play standard stereo, 3-mil for 78s, and .5 mil for Edison.

Did you know that the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) was responsible for the 78.26 rpm speed? With the development of electrical recording, the NAB set some rules for records so that turntables did not have to be readjusted for each record:

- A standard speed of 78.26 rpm (the average of the Victor 76 rpm and the Columbia (and Edison) 80 rpm

- A standard groove for a 3-mil stylus with outside start and lateral recording.

- Standard diameters of 10-inch and 12-inch.

- A standard eccentric trip runout groove.

- A standard recording curve (250N-0).

At one time, I went to a home where the two guys who lived there had a collection of 78s that makes my LP collection look puny (see avatar). They also had a fairly large collection of cylinders, and electronic players for all. They held parties of sorts for guests to listen to their recordings. I remember Jose’ Mojica being one of the artists, and was pleased with how the recording sounded.

As part of my collection, I have a handful of Edison Diamond Discs, some of which have embossed labels. I also have a few discs where the labels have fallen off.

Back