(1972-07) High Fidelity mag. - 1st Quadradisc Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Coincidentally and remarkably, "Me and My Arrow" on that Quadradisc is the very track I have been using to compare the tracking/tracing capabilities of my various cartridges after buying a NOS Panasonic EPC-450C-II which tracks it perfectly on my not-so-perfect disc. See my post in the Legacy surround section.

Doug

Drifting OT, the HF article says APD1-0001 is non-Dolbyized,
I bought this album in 1973-02 (the DV SACD in 2017-09),
I didn't notice tape hiss being louder on this album compared
to my other stereo LPs.

I wonder if DV is using any NR system on their Quad tape to
SACD mastering process, maybe an improved version of the
NoNoise system used on some Philips Classics CDs (in the late
1980s)

Kirk Bayne

Drifting OT, the HF article says APD1-0001 is non-Dolbyized,
I bought this album in 1973-02 (the DV SACD in 2017-09),
I didn't notice tape hiss being louder on this album compared
to my other stereo LPs.

I wonder if DV is using any NR system on their Quad tape to
SACD mastering process, maybe an improved version of the
NoNoise system used on some Philips Classics CDs (in the late
1980s)

Kirk Bayne

I don't think it's any different, either. Without going back and rereading, I wonder if his copy was a pre-production example and RCA remastered it for general consumption.

Doug

Winopener

Isn't there a quad Fausto Pepetti album?
Seems to me I have seen a Taiwan pressed CD4 record fake maybe but out there.

PS When they say don't judge a book by its cover they weren't thinking about sales......

There was a "Best of Fausto Papetti" LP in Japan. It wasn't spectacular as I remember it. I played it once before adding it to the quad shelves where it remains. Right close to the gawdawful Louis Armstrong sings both types of music (Country AND Western). It doesn't surprise me as Japan has the monopoly on cheesecake covers.

One scenario that fits the evidence:

RCA was using a JVC Mark 1 CD-4 mastering system which
operated at 1/2.7 speed.

It's very likely that the multitrack master tape used Dolby A NR,
obviously, RCA converted one of their (Quad) tape machines to
play back at 1/2.7 speed, but in early 1972, they may not yet
have converted 4 Dolby A NR units for operation at 1/2.7, so,
the Quad mixdown (for the CD-4 mastering system) couldn't
use NR.

Once 1/2.7 Dolby A NR was available, another (remaster) from
the multitrack could be made with Dolby A NR (which is probably
what we are hearing now). It would be interesting to hear this
original Quad mix (which might be subtly different than what we
are used to).

Kirk Bayne

Got or had that magazine somewhere
Got it with a lot of quad equipment .

I bought the original pressing of the "Godfather" album. I had the Technics demodulator with the EPC-450C cartridge mounted in my Dual 1019. The CD-4 was horribly distorted. I later heard there was a small problem with that pressing, so when the next pressing came out, I got that. Not much better! I switched to a Pickering uV15-2400Q cartridge... what a difference!

I think there actually may have been a problem with the original EPC-450C which is why they redesigned it to be the EPC-450C-II.

Doug

I dont have the Quadradisc of the Hugo Montenegro album, but the DV SACD of it is one of my favourites.
Yes, that Montenegro DV twofer is quite interesting. I did not realize that his album was the one of the first Quadradiscs until l looked at that article.

Also, while scrolling through that magazine issue I came across an ad for the Dynaco SCA-80Q. That was my first hifi amp. I built it myself from the kit. Turns out that my first amp was Dynaquad equipped, so I bought a pair of rear speakers as soon as I accumulated the funds.

Back