QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Released 50 years ago today, ELP Trilogy.
Listening to the 2015 Jakko 5.1 96/24 LPCM on the Fanfare blu ray.

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

Last edited:
Released 50 years ago today, ELP Trilogy.
Listening to the 2105 Jakko 5.1 96/24 LPCM on the Fanfare blu ray.

View attachment 81014

View attachment 81016
:eek: 50 years ago! It was my first ELP album on cassette. I was 14-15yrs I phoned a school friend and said can you hear Carl Palmer yelling "SH*T!" on the intro to The Sheriff! A few years later visited the forest the centrefold photo was taken, it was about 20 miles away from where I lived, I suspect a load of us were bored and a friend had a car so why not!

I wish I could say, but I am always sworn to secrecy until official announcements are made.

The only newly mixed albums that have already been mentioned and are awaiting release are 'Sound On Sound' from Bill Nelson's Red Noise, and 'Holidays In Eden' by Marillion. Two others (one of which is a massive box set containing numerous studio albums and several live concerts) finished and being scheduled, and three others almost complete, and another just started. Three of these projects date from that crucial 1969-74 period.

More being lined up as we speak!
GO STEPHEN, GO!!!

I wish I could say, but I am always sworn to secrecy until official announcements are made.

The only newly mixed albums that have already been mentioned and are awaiting release are 'Sound On Sound' from Bill Nelson's Red Noise, and 'Holidays In Eden' by Marillion. Two others (one of which is a massive box set containing numerous studio albums and several live concerts) finished and being scheduled, and three others almost complete, and another just started. Three of these projects date from that crucial 1969-74 period.

More being lined up as we speak!

Rather wonder of the 'massive box set containing numerous studio albums and several live concerts' is Hammill. šŸ˜® šŸ¤© šŸ™ƒ

Released 50 years ago today ~ Chicago V.

LmpwZWc.jpeg

And, in case you missed it, on July 1, 1972 ~ Toulouse Street.

Ny03MDgyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Atmos x.x.x listeners are cordially invited to turn off your subs, your ceilings, your side-surrounds.
Enjoy some vintage four-corner Quadio classic rock like the old days.
In full 192 kHz resolution, with no tape hiss or surface noise.

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny03MDgyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Atmos x.x.x listeners are cordially invited to turn off your subs, your ceilings, your side-surrounds.

Been a while since I listened to either of these albums. I know there are complaints about "scooped" mids on both Quadio boxes, but that EQ curve must suit my tastes, because they sound pretty great to me. (Okay: lead vocals on Chicago V could sometimes be higher in the mix, but if I'm careful about moving into my system's sweet spot, they're usually good.)

Last edited:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny03MDgyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Aren't some of the parts missing when you turn off discrete channels?

It seems like only a year ago I started a 5oth anniversary thread about 1971 music... ;) I got many great replies just like this '72 thread. This has been very interesting to read. And the thing that sinks in the most is that while this was a whopping 50 years ago, many of the artists were already on their 3rd or 4th major album release. WOW!

Here is a partial list of performers for the Boston Common Sunset Series of concerts in 1972.
I went to most of them....and for $2.50 a ticket.
72 was indeed a great year for music.

View attachment 80989

Here is the full list:
Jun 19 - Tom Rush / Bill Withers
Jun 21 - Mahavishnu Orch / Loggins and Messina
Jun 26 - Smoky Robinson and the Miracles / Labelle
Jun 28 - Arlo Guthrie / Doc Watson
Jul 2 - Seatrain / Billy Preston / The Stawbs
Jul 5 - The Association / Jackie DelShannon
Jul 10 - Lou Rawls / Donny Hathaway
Jul 12 - Deep Purple / Malo
Jul 17 - Kris Kristoferson / Rita Coolidge
Jul 19 - Buddy Miles Band / Merry Clayton
Jul 24 - Cutis Mayfield / Detroit Guitar Band
Jul 26 - BB King / Paul Butterfield / Bonnie Raitt
Jul 31 - Canned Heat / Captain Beyond
Aug 2 - Richie Havens/ Pamela Pulland
Aug 7 - Blood Sweat & Tears / Chris Smither
Aug 9 - The Poco Show
Aug 14 - Savoy Brown / Fleetwood Mac / Rory Gallagher
Aug 16 - The Doors / Dr. John
Aug 21 - Maynard Ferguson / Weather Report / Michael White
Aug 22 - Virgil Fox Plays BACH on the Big Organ
Aug 23-24 - The Beach Boys
Something on this list struck me as very strange for 1972. Jim Morrison died the year before so was the band performing without Jim? I don't remember anything after LA Woman except for "Other Voices".

Back