QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While Manzarek could cover for Morrison’s “non-performance” shows, it was never going to deliver the mail in the long run. I’ve read tha Howard Werth of Audience (two albums on Elektra, more on imports) was considered. That would have been interesting but in a different way. No lizard king, no actual Doors.

I could almost swear that the lead singer of the Canadian rock band "The Tea Party", Jeff Martin is Jim Morrison reincarnated. If he had started his career or had even been born twenty or more years earlier he would have been the perfect replacement for Jim!

Check out The Tea Party if you are a fan of Morrisons vocals!

Absolutely TERRIBLE surround mix...it is unbelievably bad
RE: ELP Trilogy Deluxe Edition mix

I gave this a play again today and was stunned how bad this surround mix is by the infamous Jakko. It is a real shame Steven Wilson had a falling out with ELP otherwise I'm sure this would have been great in 5.1

I gave this a play again today and was stunned how bad this surround mix is by the infamous Jakko. It is a real shame Steven Wilson had a falling out with ELP otherwise I'm sure this would have been great in 5.1
Please take a moment to read Jakko's comments about this job - it wasn't easy at all. Jakko usually does a fine job mixing in multichannel.

Are you sure? It took the industry almost 10 years to learn how to properly mix stereo. I would think there would be a similar learning curve for quad. But they never got that chance.

Are you sure? It took the industry almost 10 years to learn how to properly mix stereo. I would think there would be a similar learning curve for quad. But they never got that chance.
They did a great job no matter what they tried! Modern mixers could learn a few things from those early mixes! Few modern mixes achieve what those old quad ones did!

I can't believe that I missed this thread altogether, especially since my all-time favorite Mother-Of-All-Albums Can't Buy A Thrill came out in 1972.

1672779750421.png

In '72, I was listening to:
These surround releases were usually released later than '72

Connection - Don Ellis
Santana w/Buddy Miles SQ/Q8/SACD
Caravanserai - Santana SQ/Q8
Catch Bull at Four - Cat Stevens Q8
There's a Riot - Sly
Living in the Past - Tull
Last Days & Time - EWF
New Blood - BS&T
On the Corner - Miles
Honky Chateau - Elton John SACD
Icarus - Paul Winter/Winter Consort (later Oregon)
Big Bambu - Cheech y Chong
Chicago V SQ/Q8/BD DVD-A is 5.1 mix
Still Bill - Bill Withers
Azteca SQ/Q8
Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan QS/Q8
Buzzard Luck - Ballin'Jack
America (1st)
Country Wine - Raiders
Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts CD-4/Q8
Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orch SQ/Q8/SACD
Primal Roots - Sergio Mendes
Age of Steam - Gerry Mulligan DVD-V
A Song for You - Carpenters Q8/CD-4 (Japan)
Music of My Mind & Talking Book - Stevie Wonder

It was the year I gave up radio and programmed my own listening.
Am I reading this correctly? Were all of these released in multichannel?

I can't believe that I missed this thread altogether, especially since my all-time favorite Mother-Of-All-Albums Can't Buy A Thrill came out in 1972.

View attachment 87018
Really sucks that MoFi just released this on SACD and didnt include the quad tracks. It's pretty fantastic in QS. (I have that album and agree it's a top favorite of mine.) Can you imagine this on multi-channel disc? :love:

Really sucks that MoFi just released this on SACD and didnt include the quad tracks. It's pretty fantastic in QS. (I have that album and agree it's a top favorite of mine.) Can you imagine this on multi-channel disc? :love:
MoFi didn't release it. It was an Analogue Productions release. Getting the licensing for just the stereo catalog was probably a high mountain in and of itself.

It's not really that great of quad mix anyway. I guarantee that other than here, the complaints (for a variety of legit and nonsensical reasons) would outnumber the kudos.

Back