(1973) Quadrasonic Sound: A Status Report (Billboard August 4th)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Kirk's (@kfbkfb's) thread from earlier today reminded me of a tab I've had open in my browser for months--something I stumbled upon when I was searching for info about Black Jazz--specifically, whether the label's earliest titles ever got quad releases.

I'd be surprised if this issue of Billboard hasn't been cited on QQ before, though I couldn't find it with a quick search. It contains a 22-page insert--"Quadrasonic Sound: A Status Report"--with articles on universal decoders, quad for the car, "quaducating" producers, and quad's impact on mixing studios, as well as fascinating profiles of Hugo Montenegro, Pierre Boulez & the New York Phil, and Dick Schory. (How many of those "500 masters" of orchestral works that Schory licensed for quad mixes were ever released, I wonder?) Needless to say, some great ads, too. It's a real trove. Other quad-related news on p. 1, as well as reviews (Buddy Miles, Judy Collins) on p. 12.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/70s/1973/Billboard 1973-08-04.pdf#page=33

Last edited:
We're close to quad p*rn territory, but have a look at the album chart, p. 78 of the pdf: if i counted right, there are 45 album that had a quad release.

Kirk's (@kfbkfb's) thread from earlier today reminded me of a tab I've had open in my browser for months--something I stumbled upon when I was searching for info about Black Jazz--specifically, whether the label's earliest titles ever got quad releases.

I'd be surprised if this issue of Billboard hasn't been cited on QQ before, though I couldn't find it with a quick search. It contains a 22-page insert with articles on universal decoders, quad for the car, "quaducating" producers, and quad's impact on mixing studios, as well as fascinating profiles of Hugo Montenegro, Pierre Boulez & the New York Phil, and Dick Schory. (How many of those "500 masters" of orchestral works that Schory licensed for quad mixes were ever released, I wonder?) Needless to say, some great ads, too. Other quad-related news on p. 1, as well as reviews (Buddy Miles, Judy Collins) on p. 12.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/70s/1973/Billboard 1973-08-04.pdf#page=33
Damn that whole issue looks like great reading. I will have to get another cuppa & come back for more. And I believe it is the furthest back the nick name "Quadfather" was used. But it was Hugo Montenegro!

That is a good read in Billboard alright.

FWIW I just finished leafing through Billboards from 1972 -1976 and there are a number of quadraphonic (quadrasonic as per billboard) articles and mentions throughout the main quad years.
Took me a long time , btw. ! but I kept a reference record of relevant quad items, such as never released etc.

And every summer Billboard had a special quad related issue.

Try ;

May 11 1974 , pages 3 Best of Diana Ross pending fr Motown.

May 4 1974 , pg 120 Ozark Mtn Daredevils first album in Q8 ? NR.
also same pg New Riders Of The Purple Sage -Home Home On The Road ..a NR in Q8, QLP. And ones we know of that were never released , Tom Scott L A Express , Capt Beefheart and the soundtrack to Sunshine on MCA . (QLP Q8).

May 04 1974 re heading titled on page 42 : All Threshold Into 4 Channel
" all future Threshold releases will be in quad "

June 06 74

Pages 1 and 6....JVC Cutting Centre

Cutting CD-4 test pressings of Jerry Lee Lewis plus a number of pressings from artists on various lebels such as ABC/Dunhill , Impulse , A&M , and Phonogram .
10 CD-4 Test recordings for various labels , uncommitted to CD-4 or quad.

June 29 1974 page 78/80

London Records cut in CD-4 in L.A. (3 albums), Zubin Mehta L A Phil features , Strauss Die Fledermauss and Wagner by Reinzi , Weber , Die Freischutz and selections from cellist Kurt Reher , Mariage Of Figaro , Mozart and Rossini la gala la Dra.

August 10 1974. Quad Feature.page 35.

August 04 ,1973. Quad Features pages 33-55.

Sept 28 1974...Eddie Kramer w/Bowie and Visconti present .....mixes David Bowie Live at Electric Ladyland Studios.

June 10th 73 page 32/35,
Neil Young new album (Time Fades Away) to be released in Nov 73 with WEA upcoming product (second batch of quadradiscs fr Warner)

Oct 26 74, page 68 :

DSR Production.....Live QS from a number of artists ELO, FOGHAT , POCO, STEVE MILLER, RORY GALLAGHER, BOZ SCAGGS.
DSR principles are one half of CCR , Doug Clifford , Stu Cook , (and Ross Gary).
program titled "On Tour " syndication to 150 FM stations.

Dec 14 1974, page 27

Tim Weisberg's album titled 4 Album played in a quadraphonic Demo by A&M records

June 7th 75 page 47

Dealer Demo Quads

Polydor "Tommy " featured song in QS is "Acid Queen " and previously a large QS Sansui "Tommy" advert can be found on page 51 in March 15 1975.

And Again ..... in Jan 03 1976 page 52

Features in QS , Brubeck/Desmond "Blue Dove" in Dealer Demo Quads .

In April 10 1976 page 59 , Dealer Demo Quads features

Alice Coltrane "Morning Worship " a QS on Warner Bros. BS 2916.

And Neil Diamond -Beautiful Noise in quad listings July 10 76 page 70 , and this quad listing carries on for a few weeks yet.

That's just some of the quad notables I have come up with by perusing those Billboard pages.
Most are noteworthy I think anyways.

Fizzy. :)

I think this is worth reposting - I don't have high hopes for this union :ROFLMAO:

quad_cartoon.jpg

It should be the Diana Ross & The Supremes Greatest Hits, released in Japan in 1975

https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-The-Supremes-Greatest-Hits/release/8280157
Any other Motown quad reference found? USA had only two Q8 releases...

That's probably the album, but
According to that article....I do think they meant a U. S. quad album , or Q8.

No, no more from Motown, but Charles Earland had his latest album mixed in quad at Village Recorders L A in june 73 (Leaving This Planet , on Prestige..... I'm guessing).

FWIW there may have been more Motown quads mixed ......but not mentioned as it was up to the labels to notify Billboard , so if no one turned in that quad mixing news , then only the label and their engineers would know.

That's probably the album, but
According to that article....I do think they meant a U. S. quad album , or Q8.

No, no more from Motown, but Charles Earland had his latest album mixed in quad at Village Recorders L A in june 73 (Leaving This Planet , on Prestige..... I'm guessing).

FWIW there may have been more Motown quads mixed ......but not mentioned as it was up to the labels to notify Billboard , so if no one turned in that quad mixing news , then only the label and their engineers would know.

Here is the full text from the article:

Diana on Q-8 Tape

LOS ANGELES -Motown Records will offer its first Q-8 tape
later this spring, "The Best of Diana Ross" A spokesman for the label
said no decision has been made as yet concerning the firm's entry into
the quadrasonic disk field.

Back