(1973) USA Quad Sound Status Report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kirk, can you elaborate? Is it for both SQ and QS encoded discs and will it be offered commercially?
Kirk often serves up some fascinating past tense articles but rarely mentions the specific article or page number he is referencing. Because of this I have scanned over multiple surround sound columns in that issue but I can not find :
Recently Ben Bauer, the genial "quadfather" of the CBS SQ system, let me hear his new "Parametric" matrix decoder,
and it certainly provided an impressive four-channel sound."
Well, firstly as that aricle is over 40 years old me thinks those on the forum would be well aware if this unit was for SQ/QS or a commercial product. Since Ben Bauer was 110% SQ it would have never been applied to QS. The corect term for the Bauer design is Paramatrix & was never released into the wild. It was quickly over passed by the Space & Image Composer & then the Fosgate 101A.

Edit: you might find this interesting.

Last edited:
Kirk often serves up some fascinating past tense articles but rarely mentions the specific article or page number he is referencing. Because of this I have scanned over multiple surround sound columns in that issue but I can not find :

Well, firstly as that aricle is over 40 years old me thinks those on the forum would be well aware if this unit was for SQ/QS or a commercial product. Since Ben Bauer was 110% SQ it would have never been applied to QS. The corect term for the Bauer design is Paramatrix & was never released into the wild. It was quickly over passed by the Space & Image Composer & then the Fosgate 101A.

Edit: you might find this interesting.
So are you saying Kirk’s post is a BUMP from April first?

Good point about the page numbers (since 1997, I've been posting links to
fairly short articles over in alt.video.digital-tv, I hardly ever use page numbers).

Kirk Bayne

Good point about the page numbers (since 1997, I've been posting links to
fairly short articles over in alt.video.digital-tv, I hardly ever use page numbers).

Kirk Bayne

I just learned yesterday that with long pdfs, appending "#page=X" to the end of the URL will take you to that specific page number in most browsers and pdf readers.

Back