QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traffic_-_Shoot_Out_at_the_Fantasy_Factory.png
Little_Feat_-_Dixie_Chicken.jpg

That was the only full year I worked at Altec-Lansing as an engineering tech. i started there in ‘72 and got laid off just before Christmas in ‘74.

The engineer I most worked with was an audiophile, and he taught me a lot about what “listening to music” meant. We often went to his house and listened to an album during lunch. Many great times, but the industry isn’t noted for longevity of employment.

1973 was really (in retrospect) the peak year for quad - at least commercially. The quality of mixes got better from 1974 onward, but I doubt there was a year when more quad product was released than 1973.

A few highlights:
Warner/Elektra/Atlantic released their first CD-4's, a batch of 25 titles, in September
Stax released their first quad product on Q8 and LP (four Isaac Hayes albums and a Staples Singers album)
United Artists/Blue Note released nearly a dozen Q8's
RCA went full bore with their CD-4 program, even trying to go single-inventory for the first half of the year

..and other major labels really hit peak quad production, including Columbia/Epic, ABC/Impulse, and A&M to name a few.

Musically, I think it's also worth noting that 1973 is really the year that all of Miles disciples kind of "graduate" and jazz fusion comes of age:

Herbie Hancock's Headhunters
Mahavishnu Orchestra Birds of Fire (and Between Nothingness & Eternity Live)
Return to Forever's Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
Billy Cobham's Spectrum
Weather Report's Sweetnighter

In #17, Puppo instructed us not to forget Quad albums. Evidently, he didn't read (my) post #8. Just for that, no puppy treats this week! :

Some of my most played Quads were both released on 2ch and Quad in '73:

Full Sail
Rhymin' Simon
Countdown to Ecstacy
Intergalactic Trot - Stardrive
I Got a Name
Best of Doors (Quad only comp)
Overnight Sensation
Jarrett
Klemmer
Angel Clare
Deliver the Word