(1974-02) Stereo Review mag - "IS PHASE SHIFT AUDIBLE?"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...eo/70s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1974-02.pdf#page=27^^^
...the ear was most sensitive to phase shifts at about 800 Hz, with decreasing sensitivity at lower and higher frequencies.

Interestingly, although it was written during the quad era, this article doesn't mention matrix quad systems, many of which were using phase shifts as part of their encoding and decoding schemes.

Kirk Bayne

Phase is audible when referencing one stereo channel to another for sure. Whether or not absolute phase is audible or not I'm more sceptical. Speaker designs that strive for better phase coherence might not be a bad idea but is the difference audible or significant again I'm skeptical. Using speakers that have unmatched phase and frequency response will obviously provide poor imaging.

I love the old Quad adds form those vintage magazines. The ways that they tote the advantages and need for quad is gospel in my books!

It's an interesting article and I believe phase alterations can be audible but, how many times, in the recording chain, have phase relationships been adulterated before the final product gets to the listener?

I realize speakers may be more apt to cause more drastic phase/time variations but the signal goes through a lot of stuff before getting there.

Doug

Back