(1974-12) SQ Stereo Enhancement [CBS Labs]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not China but the orient in general. The stocks could've easily made their way to China over the years! I'm sure China would've/could've been a dumping ground for such items!
Your faith in China as being a reliable source of genuine components is not universally shared.

Yes for the decoder/encoder I would suggest using the Fosgate circuit. It's six pole and all the parts are readily available, but I would recommend using a better op amp than the TL084. On the other hand the MC1312P and the after market ECG/NTE type replacements are also readily available.

The enhancement circuit should produce 90° phase shifts as that's what you need to simulate SQ encoding.
Are schematics available?

I got everything from ECG replacement parts in the 1970s - two sets. But I never used them. I intended to build the decoder when I had time.

NTE took over the ECG line in the 1990s.

To all of you who reposted the old CBS SQ circuit a big Thank You!!
till now I listened only to a "printed" SQ on my receiver, but that was not SQ, only some resistors. So SQ was all the years only a better stereo not real quad as CD-4.
Sorry that I didn't see that circuit before 50 years.

As par4ken states: switch the matrix on and listen always in that mode. You will be suprised that also very old records (like Pretty Things- Rainin in my heart) will suprise you.
I changed my amp. so it will automatical switch between CD-4 and the Motorola SQ level 2.

Thank You all !!

Also others will maybe work.
I orderd 4 sets, got 3 MC1314 with 16 pins and one with 14 pins, all with the same number ...
The MC1314 is a Voltage Controlled Amplifier and has 16 pins. The MC1315 is the SQ logic control circuit and also has 16 pins. THe MC1312 SQ decoder chip has 14 pins. Less common there was also an MC1313 12 volt version of the MC1312.

Also others will maybe work.
I orderd 4 sets, got 3 MC1314 with 16 pins and one with 14 pins, all with the same number ...
If you have got a 14 pin "MC1314" the only thing you can be 100% certain of is that is NOT a MC1314!!!

I haven't done much encoding for years. With digital discrete technology there is little reason to encode anything. I thought of getting the Involve encoder to try it out but again have no real need to encode anything.

I did try encoding with Audition both SQ and QS and it worked out well but was a lot of work. Someone else wrote scripts for that purpose, I would likely use the script if I wanted to encode anything. I also found an eBay bargain a circle surround encoder that I was playing around with but it only does L,R,C,S like DS.

Originally I used my encoder to make SQ encoded cassettes from my reel tapes and Q8's.

I built and sold a several encoders, one went to Fizzy. I sold my last one (the version with the adjustable synth) many years ago. I had intentions of constructing a new one using the 8-pole filter of the S&IC and collected up many close tolerance capacitors. I was going to parallel then to make up the required values. The Audionics used specially made capacitors in rather odd values. I never got around to that, Now I have three composers so I could rig up a couple up to do encoding, if I wanted to.

Because the S&IC has it's own syth mode I have no need of using a circuit like that of the RE article. It would be good for someone with a descent SQ decoder like a Lafayette, to get stereo enhancement with some logic enhancement behind it. From what I recall all those seventies SQ decoders used their logic for SQ only, RM/Stereo enhancement was all done passively.
I've used the Involve Evaluation encoder to create Involve-encoded CD's from my SACD's, DVD-A's, and BD_A's, all with very impressive results. I used the "Intelligent Encode" mode. That mode maximizes stereo compatibility, without compromising surround performance. The discs decode nicely using Pro Logic II, as well as through the SM. Played in stereo, as I do in the car, the image seems wider than the car itself.

you can't think that stupid..

Attachments

• MC1314.jpg
    MC1314.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
I don't see why anyone would bother to fake it!?
Because it is no bother and costs nothing - you can do it in your garage. You get a skip load of reject chips of any type and use a solvent to wipe the part numbers off. You spray jet print whatever new part number on you want on a bunch, depending on what you might have seen going for a high price recently. Stick them on eBay or wherever. Relabel a another bunch with another number tomorrow. Happens all the time. Well documented scam across the globe.

Because it is no bother and costs nothing - you can do it in your garage. You get a skip load of reject chips of any type and use a solvent to wipe the part numbers off. You spray jet print whatever new part number on you want on a bunch, depending on what you might have seen going for a high price recently. Stick them on eBay or wherever. Relabel a another bunch with another number tomorrow. Happens all the time. Well documented scam across the globe.
You sound as if it has happened to you! I have never ever had such a problem.

I do wonder about high end op-amps sold cheaply from China, they could be rebranded 741's. You would never know without the equipment to check/measure their full performance.

You sound as if it has happened to you! I have never ever had such a problem.

I do wonder about high end op-amps sold cheaply from China, they could be rebranded 741's. You would never know without the equipment to check/measure their full performance.
Due to component shortages our production dept. had to go to the grey market to purchase a part, and we've just had a batch of chips which are either fakes or somebody fished out of the failed bin and sold them on.

I've used the Involve Evaluation encoder to create Involve-encoded CD's from my SACD's, DVD-A's, and BD_A's

Downmixing Atmos to 4.0 - just wondered if you built a circuit to take in 7.1.4 [place the 4 overhead channels near the corresponding channel in the 4.0 arrangement] and output 4.0 for the QS encoder?

Kirk Bayne

Back