1974 WEA Advertisement Proof

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Stumbled upon this tidbit from the quad era, probably destined for a Billboard Magazine issue. Can you spot the typo/error? Of course you can spot the title that was never released in quad.

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this tidbit from the quad era, probably destined for a Billboard Magazine issue. Can you spot the typo/error? Of course you can spot the title that was never released in quad.

View attachment 39176

Wouldn't it be a hoot if these were the forthcoming April 2019 QUAD SACD TITLES from Dutton Vocalion?????? Elektra ......I mean Electric!

Last edited:
It should say that "if you're not listening on Quad Reel-to-Reel, you are missing a lot of the quad magic!"*

*CD-4 is a real bitch to setup and get working in many cases, but worth it if you have top of the line turntable and cartridge, and absolutely perfect condition records. Note: Not every album shown here is offered in the reel tape format.

It should say that "if you're not listening on Quad Reel-to-Reel, you are missing a lot of the quad magic!"*

*CD-4 is a real bitch to setup and get working in many cases, but worth it if you have top of the line turntable and cartridge, and absolutely perfect condition records. Note: Not every album shown here is offered in the reel tape format.

Totally agree .... but as my Teac QUAD OR and outboard Teac dolby b decoder are at present sitting in mothballs, I would still love to hear all those CD~4 titles EXPERTLY transferred from their original 15/30 ips analogue masters to QUAD SACD.

The Doobies and Bette Midler we have heard in the Quadrareel format. And they are damn good. The Midler is one of my favorite quad mixes from WEA, and I am very surprised it's not out on a high-res disc by now.

Having a hit single (or two or three) helps sometimes where they are deciding if and when a title should get a nice reissue and with surround. Both of these fit the bill.

The Doobies and Bette Midler we have heard in the Quadrareel format. And they are damn good. The Midler is one of my favorite quad mixes from WEA, and I am very surprised it's not out on a high-res disc by now.

Having a hit single (or two or three) helps sometimes where they are deciding if and when a title should get a nice reissue and with surround. Both of these fit the bill.

DITTO ..... I especially LOVE the excellent Bette Midler Open Reel Tape and surprised, Rhino/Warner didn't release that QUAD when they remastered The Divine Miss M two years ago. What are they waiting for?????? Geez!

DITTO ..... I especially LOVE the excellent Bette Midler Open Reel Tape and surprised, Rhino/Warner didn't release that QUAD when they remastered The Divine Miss M two years ago. What are they waiting for?????? Geez!
In the meantime I'm hoping for the rarer a-grade quad stuff to show up, the no open reel ever issued titles.

Burn was really mixed to quad? I wonder, since the Purple camp has milked all the possible... and if there was a 4ch mix of Burn in the can it would had surfaced.

I recall seeing a Quad ad that showed Burn with the Q logo
on the cover, it was probably this ad (perhaps in a free record
store brochure).

A general comment about the WEA group selecting CD-4:

I special ordered the 1st RCA Quadradisc, but the easy listening
music wasn't of too much interest to me (at 16), I recall holding
my finger against my turntable platter to slow down the disc
and hear the carrier(s). The "Me and My Arrow" song was
interesting to listen to with Stereo Headphones though.

It was Really Cool when Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath
etc. albums appeared on Quadradiscs!

Kirk Bayne

I special ordered the 1st RCA Quadradisc, but the easy listening music wasn't of too much interest to me (at 16), I recall holding my finger against my turntable platter to slow down the disc and hear the carrier(s). The "Me and My Arrow" song was interesting to listen to with Stereo Headphones though.

That’s Hugo Montenegro’s Love Theme From The Godfather (APD-0001). It began the new “APD” series of single-issue Quadradiscs from RCA. It was actually released on SACD by Dutton-Vocalion last year.

BTW, it is too cool to actually see cover art for a Burn CD-4 LP. I always wondered why they skipped straight from Machine Head to Stormbringer. Who Do We Think We Are and Burn would've made for excellent quad releases.

I think Burn also showed up on an early WEA/Rhino DVD-A pre-order list, so there may be two unreleased surround mixes of that title languishing away.

There was a recent interview with Steven Wilson mentioning that he was asked to remix the back catalogue of a "legendary rock band", but the project was halted because most of the tapes were lost. I wonder if it was Deep Purple? His 5.1 mix of Made In Japan remains in the can. Pure speculation on my part...

Last edited:
Back