(~1975) Sansui QS (USA) FM Station List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KCUR is listed, although I didn't have an FM Stereo receiver at this time (was just using an AM/FM mono clock radio for FM), otherwise I would have tried DynaQuad w/the QS encoded content.

Kirk Bayne
In early 70's a friend of mine had a jazz program at KCUR, Friday nights 8pm to midnight. I would often go with a bottle of wine to share & groove on the music. One night I noticed a Sansui QSE-5B encoder in a rack mount tower. The power cord was wrapped up with factory ties, no other gear plugged into it. It had never been used.

Eventually there was a university rummage auction of all sorts of stuff for staff only & the Sansui encoder was one of them. My friend put me in touch with the station manager who bid successfully & got the unit for $50. After using it for a bit I traded it to a friend for a QSD-1. So, QSD-1 for 50 bucks.

My real point being I imagine this happened many times, SQ/QS across the country. Stations buying quad stuff just so they could say they were "quad capable" or the such.

The only KC station I know of that actually broadcast (some) Matrix Quad content was KMBR "Stereo 100", in the 2nd half of 1972, I heard the end of an announcement that they were doing an experimental broadcast of EV Stereo-4 Matrix encoded content.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
The only KC station I know of that actually broadcast (some) Matrix Quad content was KMBR "Stereo 100", in the 2nd half of 1972, I heard the end of an announcement that they were doing an experimental broadcast of EV Stereo-4 Matrix encoded content.

Kirk Bayne
Haha etc. KMBR. Or as I used to call it: Kumbersome Radio.

Back