(1982-08-17) 1st CD Manufactured

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because you never forget your very first time....

direoriginal.jpg

Last edited:
1985 - Only time I had ever been to LAngeles, to take my already bent Brazilian Ironwood Stick to Emmett (who certified my suspicion.. BENT.. and he immediately changed the design to ADJUSTABLE truss rods!), so I decided to buy a couple of VERY EXPENSIVE CDs...the Robert Plant one had a factory defect, some kind of "plastic drop" on the info side and I convinced someone in the San Juan PR Sears to take it back!

MC02MTQ3LmpwZWc.jpeg

and , of course.. Frippo and Company!
I STILL have this one!
OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Are you saying the original version from 40 years ago sounds as nice as the remastered ones?

I don't have the facilities to do a proper A/B comparison, I don't hear much difference between the ~1983 and 1985 releases.

I bought a copy a few years later that said "DIGITALLY RECORDED" on the booklet cover.
https://www.discogs.com/release/13673968-Billy-Joel-The-Nylon-Curtain
The liner notes just say "MIXED WITH SONY Digital Equipment", I don't know if the multitrack master is all digital, some digital, some analog or all analog, and I don't know if the stereo master is digital or analog.

Kirk Bayne

I don't have accurate records but my first CD was very likely Queen: The Works when it was originally released and I still have that CD. For several years I had a friend copy any CD I bought onto Chrome cassettes since I didn't have a CD player and couldn't afford one.

I remember reading about the same thing...using sources meant for other types of media. I always thought what idiots, they simply didn't know or care about what they were doing.

Are you saying the original version from 40 years ago sounds as nice as the remastered ones?
In some cases true. Greedy individuals were grabbing whatever they could get for a source and putting it on
the new CD's to take advantage of the demand, but not many thankfully. Some of the earliest are fantastic, the
original 1985 Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms is damn hard to beat with a measured dynamic range of 16. There are a number of much newer remasters that are crap in comparison.
Take a look at the "fancy, dancy, & expensive" DVD-A release in the second list, also the Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition SACD, both with the destroyed DR of 8! :mad:
Screenshot at 2023-03-18 14-28-13.png
Screenshot at 2023-03-18 14-29-50.png

I don't have the facilities to do a proper A/B comparison, I don't hear much difference between the ~1983 and 1985 releases.

I bought a copy a few years later that said "DIGITALLY RECORDED" on the booklet cover.
https://www.discogs.com/release/13673968-Billy-Joel-The-Nylon-Curtain
The liner notes just say "MIXED WITH SONY Digital Equipment", I don't know if the multitrack master is all digital, some digital, some analog or all analog, and I don't know if the stereo master is digital or analog.

Kirk Bayne

Probably the master is recorded via analog multi track tape and then mixed on a digital mixing board to a two channel digital mix. So that would be ADD (I'm guessing.)

In some cases true. Greedy individuals were grabbing whatever they could get for a source and putting it on
the new CD's to take advantage of the demand, but not many thankfully. Some of the earliest are fantastic, the
original 1985 Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms is damn hard to beat with a measured dynamic range of 16. There are a number of much newer remasters that are crap in comparison.
Take a look at the "fancy, dancy, & expensive" DVD-A release in the second list, also the Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition SACD, both with the destroyed DR of 8! :mad:

I don't know how you figured all this info out, but measurements like these should be included in the reviews of the newest releases.

I don't know how you figured all this info out, but measurements like these should be included in the reviews of the newest releases.
Some do but not many.

BTW, all that info is available to everyone at,
https://dr.loudness-war.info/You can look up most everything that been released. If yours is not listed you can measure yours and upload
the file if you like.

Seems like an analog stereo master, given the "24-bit" wording on the sticker of the "CD EXTRA" version (I placed the CD EXTRA note on the front cover for the scan).

Anyway, I've had a few 5" CD-Videos "rot" - the video gets more and more "snow" and static in the audio (made at a Philips CD factory, my made in Japan CD Videos are fine):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Video

Kirk Bayne

TNC_CD.jpg

Seems like an analog stereo master, given the "24-bit" wording on the sticker of the "CD EXTRA" version (I placed the CD EXTRA note on the front cover for the scan).

Anyway, I've had a few 5" CD-Videos "rot" - the video gets more and more "snow" and static in the audio (made at a Philips CD factory, my made in Japan CD Videos are fine):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Video

Kirk Bayne

View attachment 89811

I have a few of those CD Videos also, but I haven't played them in over 30 years! I even have some of the bigger CD Videos I think the same size size of a EP.

Yes, I was quite surprised that some 5" CD Videos "rotted" (I got them out about 5 years ago to make personal use DVD-R copies), it turned out that that particular Philips CD factory didn't properly coat the label side with a sealant, it took many years, but many CDs (and CD Videos) from that factory "rotted" (Laser videodisc "rot" was said to be caused by the adhesive used to glue the 2 sides together, which CDs don't have).

Kirk Bayne

Back