2 CD-4 Turntables

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do know we are discussing CD-4 turntables like the Panasonic SL-701 with a build in demodulator? Or we could start talking about a Dual 1249 which isn't technically built in CD-4 but had much improved skating adjustments to help with CD-4 playback, good article on the Dual here: Dual 1249 turntable
But that's the point, there are no CD-4 turntables. Technically, one could hang a demod off the back of many turntables with cables functionally as short as inside a 701. A combination of factors make up a good CD-4 rig, so to rewire a BSR and source a strain gauge cartridge that might be better utilized elsewhere in order to restore a BSR to as-made condition is putting money into a cheapie that could instead go into better equipment. I mention this because a BSR was my first turntable and I gradually got better ones. I wouldn't want to go back. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Maybe the best thing about BSR tables was that when using the original cartridge there was no way to get it misaligned. The worst things about BSR were many.

Although advertising/selling turntables as CD-4 was basically a marketing ploy, the manufacturers were guaranteeing that these tables met CD-4 requirements as far as internal low capacitance wiring, an attempt to have a separate CD-4 anti-skate setting (even though it must be set by trial and error), and speed close enough to assure carrier accuracy, something they really couldn't do with turntables without the CD-4 designation.

Doug

Has anyone in this feed replaced the cart on one of these built in CD4 models with a MM cart (preferably one that supports quad frequencies)? I tested this out for a moment with a AT33SA (no the tonearm does not properly support the weight) and the radar light came on while playing a CD4 record. It has come to my attention that the turntable may provide some kind of electrical current to the SC cart that originally came with it. I do not have nor do I really want to be locked into SC carts and would prefer to utilize what I have on hand, which is a couple quad capable MM/MC carts. So with this supposed electrical to the SC, if it does in fact exist, will that cause a MM cart to shoot photon torpedoes and warp the space time continuum in my living room or what? Is it SC or NOTHING with these Panasonic CD4 turntables?

Back