2009 SURROUND RELEASES - Gotta catch 'em all!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re the Brian Wilson title, Amazon lists the CD+DVD version with a "making of" side.
No 5.1 mentioned.

Oops, my bad. Apparently it's not the CD+DVD combo but sole DVD-V edition that should be included in a future update of this list.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Not officially announced, but I hope that the new Flaming Lips album "Embryonic" is released in surround sound
The only good thing about this case so far is the fact that I wasn't tempted enough to put it here and possibly raise false expectations in more minds that necessary... Nevertheless, there's still hope.

Two already released in 2009.

John Hammond - Rough and Tough - SACD MC - Chesky
-John on guitar with one mic
Phil Kline - Around the World in a Daze 2 discs - one is DVDA
- see K.R. review in Stereophile

Tom in So Cal.
And the John Hammond was supposed to be in my next column but got cut because I used too many words. BTW, try it with an ambisonics decoder. Amazing.

The DVD-V version is a "live in-studio" performance, not the original studio album.

That's true. My apologies for any inconvenience caused; I have acted based on this QQ thread. Again, this misconception will get treatment with next update.

Please note that the CD+DVD edition of Elbow album Seldom Seen Kid is "live in-studio" as well. As no one has reported on the state of the 5.1 mix here yet I'm gonna try myself - as soon as my jpc order arrives.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 5.1 tracks on the new Genesis live box that just came out.[DTS 5.1 on the Live,Seconds Out and Live At The Rainbow sets]

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 5.1 tracks on the new Genesis live box that just came out.[DTS 5.1 on the Live,Seconds Out and Live At The Rainbow sets]

I also could not find much mention (here 'round these parts) of the US single CD/DVD releases (from 2007) of "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering". I wanted to know what the general opinions are on these as 5.1 mixes are concerned. They are NOT the hi-rez DVD-A versions like in the box sets, but still at this point we take what we can get right.

Great work H.

Here are a few more for the list.

The Best of Groove Note- Vol 2 - SACD (only 2 tracks are MCH:()
Jerry Granelli - Vancouver 'o8 - SACD
Darren Lock - EchoNet - Dolby Digital - CD/DVD
E3 : Ellis Hall III - One Soul - DTS - CD-R

Last edited:
About the new Nosound - A Sense Of Loss album in 5.1, go to the original topic https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11827&highlight=nosound
for more and updated news.
Formats available will be cd stereo, dvd 24/48 stereo, DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1
There's also now a FREE DOWNLOADABLE TRACK IN 5.1 DTS Digital Surround (.wav) format!

Release date is shifted to October 26th for online orders and November 2nd for in stores.

Here's one I just discovered. Hamilton Sterling/Jimmy Haslip-Migration. Available for pre-order at Amazon. Scheduled for release on Oct. 29. The price is 14.92. The disc is two sided with Hi res stereo and DD 5.1 on one side and Hi res 5.1 on the other.

2009: MULTICHANNEL TITLES RELEASED SO FAR Brian Wilson That Lucky Old Sun (DVD-V [DD]) 1/27 (live in studio)
Pete Namlook & Gabriel Le Mar
Namlook · Le Mar (CD+DTS CD) 2/2
Darren Hayes
This Delicate Film We've Made (DVD-V [DD]) 2/3
Sara K.
Made in the Shade (SACD) 2/5 (D)
Deep Purple
Stormbringer (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 2/23
Steven Wilson
Insurgentes (CD+DVD-A) 2/24 (US)
Pearl Jam
Ten (MTV Unplugged) (2CD+DVD-V [DD] box set) 3/23
Phil Kline
Around the World in a Daze DVD-A+DVD-V 3/24 (US)
Allan Taylor
Leaving at Dawn (SACD) 3/27 (D)
Black Sabbath
Paranoid (2CD+DVD-V [dts]) 3/30
Pete Namlook
Namlook XXII - Music for Urban Meditation III (CD+DTS CD) 3/30
Elbow
The Seldom Seen Kid Live at Abbey Road (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 4/6 (live in studio) Depeche Mode Sounds of the Universe (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 4/20
John Hammond
Rough and Tough (SACD) 4/21
Nick Cave
From Her to Eternity (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 4/27
Nick Cave
The Firstborn Is Dead (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 4/27
Nick Cave
Kicking Against the Pricks (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 4/27
Nick Cave
Your Funeral, My Trial (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 4/27
Pete Namlook & David Moufang
Move D · Namlook XIX - Dawning of a New Decade (CD+DTS CD) 5/4
British Sea Power
Man of Aran (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 5/18
Darren Lock
EchoNet (CD+DVD [DD]) 5/19
Susan Wong
511 (SACD) 5/25 (HK)
Sara K.
Made in the Shade (Blu-ray) 5/25 (D)
Jerry Granelli Vancouver '08 (SACD+DVD-V [dts]) 6/26
V. A.
The Best of Groove Note Vol. 2 (SACD) 7/21 (only 2 tracks are MC)
Magenta Seven (CD+DVD-V [DD]) 8/3 ( reissue of a 2004 release limited to 2000 copies )
Fiona Joy Hawkins Blue Dream (SACD) 08/24
16 Horsepower Seven (DVD-A+CD) 8/25 (reissue of a 2000 release)
Porcupine Tree The Incident (2CD+DVD-V [dts]) 9/14 ( limited edition)
Muse The Resistance (DVD-V [dts]) 9/14 ( deluxe box set w/5.1 limited to 5000 copies worldwide)
David Sylvian
Manafon (CD+DVD [dts]) 9/14 ( deluxe edition)
Oceansize Feed to Feed (4CD+3DVD-V box set) 9/25
Maeve O'Boyle
All My Sins (SACD) 9/ 25
Genesis Live 1973 2007 (8CD+3DVD-V [dts] box set) 9/29 (5.1 on the Live, Seconds Out and Live At The Rainbow sets)
King Crimson Red (CD+DVD-A) 10/5
Anjulie Anjulie (DVD-V [dts]+CD) 10/6
King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King (CD+DVD-A) 10/12
Rick Wakeman The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Live At Hampton Court Palace) (DVD-V/Blu-ray) 10/13
Talking Heads
Stop Making Sense (Blu-ray [dts-HD MA]) 10/13
Tony Banks A Curious Feeling (CD+DVD-V) 10/19 (30th Anniversary Remixed Editions)
2009: UPCOMING MULTICHANNEL TITLES King Crimson Lizard (CD+DVD-A) 10/26
Hamilton Sterling & Jimmy Haslip
Migration (DualDisc w/DVD-A) 10/29
Nosound A Sense of Loss (CD+DVD-V [dts]) 11/02
Pixies Minotaur ( 5CD+6DVD-V [dts 96/24]+6Blu-ray [dts-HD MA]) 11/06 ( limited edition)
King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King (5CD+DVD-A box set) 11/9 George Benson Songs and Stories (DVD-V [dts]+CD) 11/17

This is the last instalment of this thread before I ask Jon to weed it out and leave this year's list of releases only.
Thanks to everybody who contributed - eggplant, Kal Rubinson, hwkn, beached (I'm not sure about the E3 project, isn't this one from 2007?),
nosound and Philip Spinner. Any other input is welcome!

Yeah, you might be right but the copy CD baby sent me is a CD-R only and it has on it's label (C 2009). Maybe the original issue in 2007 was only stereo.

Thank you beached, will try to re-check this for this year's final list.

Also please note that Minotaur by Pixies turned out to include 5CD+2DVD-V+1Blu-ray. Info on the state of 5.1 mix an sound quality in this thread.

FYI
AFAIK Darren Lock – EchoNet (CD+DVD [DD]) is out of print. However, you can buy it as an Apple DVD-R image file from the artist's website: https://sellfy.com/darrenlock. Windows users can/should convert the Apple dmg image file to Win iso with using the dmg2iso tool.

AFAIK Darren Lock – EchoNet (CD+DVD [DD]) is out of print. However, you can buy it as an Apple DVD-R image file from the artist's website: https://sellfy.com/darrenlock. Windows users can/should convert the Apple dmg image file to Win iso with using the dmg2iso tool.

Thank you, grill! Obviously, I can no longer edit this thread, but I've added your link to my re-linked blog post here. Also, I've recently re-freshed 2010 list, too.

Back